Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Tours Take in Record $2.1B in 2002

Record companies take note please. Record sales are down considerably, but live performance revenues are the highest ever. Could one conclude that there is a market for those artists that can play their instruments? Seems so to me. If the big labels could stop manufacturing acts and get back to finding the truly talented performers that are out there and overlooked, maybe record sales will keep pace with music tours.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]Record companies take note please. Record sales are down considerably, but live performance revenues are the highest ever. Could one conclude that there is a market for those artists that can play their instruments? Seems so to me. If the big labels could stop manufacturing acts and get back to finding the truly talented performers that are out there and overlooked, maybe record sales will keep pace with music tours.[/b][/quote]Tinder, I hear ya loud and clear. I did production for a few of those tours last year - quite a few had 6 figure budgets - none ran over 7 weeks. This is where I'm focusing, keep it live baby.

Tinder, I believe you've twisted the truth here. Just because music tours made record money has no bearing on the audiences' desire to see acts that play well. Britney, N'Sync, etc. accounted for a BIG chunk of that revenue, as did plenty of bands who sound good recorded and edited rather than live. Sure, there were plenty of good players on the road this year... just as there were last year, and the year before. The moral of the story is (as has been stated, ad infinitum, here) the record companies haven't a clue how to capitalize on file sharing and redesign their product and delivery systems for the product. I, for one, am very happy to see live performance $$$ on the rise. I [i]do[/i] believe people want live musicians to play their instruments well. But the record $$$ spent on live tours don't actually speak to that point.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Actually, the biggest acts were the older acts such as McCartney, The Stones, Joel & John, etc. No fact twisting going on here. From AP article by NEKESA MUMBI MOODY 1/4/03 [b][i] McCartney had the top-grossing tour, raking in $103 million. Fans paid an average of $130 per ticket to see the former Beatle, who hadn't toured the United States in about a decade. The Rolling Stones tour placed second, coming in at $88 million, with an average ticket price of $119. Pollstar said it was the first time the Stones hadn't hit the No. 1 spot with their U.S. tour. Cher's tour - which the singer said would be her last - was in third place, at $74 million, followed by the Billy Joel & Elton John concerts, which grossed $65 million, and the Dave Matthews Band, at $60 million. Other acts in the top 10 were Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Aerosmith, Creed, Neil Diamond and The Eagles. Creed and the Dave Matthews Band were the only acts in the top 10 that aren't veteran acts - and that represents one of the industry's problems, Bongiovanni said. "The acts that are at the top have got to be reaching the end of their touring life," he said. "Where the next generation of headlining acts is going to come from is anybody's guess." [/i][/b] Seems that none of the 'manufactured' acts made the top ten except for Cher ;) . Also, except for Cher, it seems that the best selling acts were the ones that put musical performance in front of choreography. The lipsync dance acts like Britney and N Sync, did not fare nearly as well. Add to that the excellent success of the Bonnaroo Festival, and there is plenty of live music successes out there.

I think it's idiotic that people are willing to pay that much for concert tickets. But hey, it's their money I guess. It just ensures that I won't be going to any big concerts, but that's not really much of a loss. I'll rather see a great Jazz performance somewhere like Yoshi's in Oakland anyway....

Interesting that, just as the VCR has not killed off the movie theater, music downloading doesn't seem to be hurting the live music industry. Wish I could say the same for our local scene; I've just learned that two of our three "regular" gigs have decided to go to DJ's or have no live music at all. :cry: Just saw the ad for one of them in the paper, a club called Cruzr's, that actually said, "Featuring one of Las Vegas' hottest [i]bartenders[/i] , Joe Schmuck, Friday and Saturday only!!" Say What?!?! Sometimes I think it'd be best to just hang it up... :cry: :( :cry:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived