Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wanted: A Band that matters

From [url=http://www.salon.com/ent/music/feature/2003/01/03/strummer/index.html]this[/url] article, "Now it (Strummer's sanctioning of London Calling for use in a Jaguar Ad) just points to the need for a new torch bearer, another young, smart idealist creative enough to revitalize rock 'n' roll and use it as a force for change. Someone's going have to shake the music industry out of its doldrums, and one place to start is to question the very paradigm on which it is based. As long as the profit motive fuels the "industry" -- and again, we're not just talking about the suits -- there may never be another band that matters." So, anyone up for it?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Early rock n roll had the music, but not the lyrics, Punk rock had the music And the lyrics, todays music that seems to matter (we're talking about the immoral majority here) seems to be that terrible dance/techno/braindead music, which (and this in my opinion speaks volumes) has no lyrics at all! My band of course has both in spades :D CupMcMali...this monkey's gone to heaven :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Cupmcmali: [b] My band of course has both in spades :D [/b][/quote]Lets have a listen then? :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Cupmcmali: [b]Early rock n roll had the music, but not the lyrics, Punk rock had the music And the lyrics. [/b][/quote]Punk had the music?!? C'mon - I liked some punk, but musically most of them sucked. Punk had the attitude.

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]Most punk rock was booooooooring crap. That whole paragraph was juvenile nonsense. If music feels good it matters. Everything else is pseudo intellectual masturbation.[/b][/quote]Maybe sentiments like this one are the reason that popular music is up shit creek?

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: Maybe sentiments like this one are the reason that popular music is up shit creek?[/quote]It's only up shit creek to those who don't listen. If you need music to reinforce your lifestyle, rebel against mommy and daddy or against "the man" or make a political statement you’re missing the point. All that is irrelevant. If the music moves you it matters. Of course you have to listen with your right brain instead of your left brain. Some people have trouble with that.

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: Of course you have to listen with your right brain instead of your left brain. Some people have trouble with that.[/quote]Some people are incapable of listening with both sides :p

[quote]Originally posted by ChristopherKemp: Punk had the music?!? C'mon - I liked some punk, but musically most of them sucked. [/quote]I totally agree. The whole "you're a sellout if you actually know how to play your instrument" attitude was quite ignorant. It may be fun to jump up and down and throw things but musically punk was quite empty. Yawn. :bor:

The only way to change the world through music is to write from within. Changing personal attitudes through an exchange of viewpoints is the way. Direct observation and commentary on the socio-political environment just comes off as preachy or whiney. No one listens to that kind of rhetoric anymore. Yeah, we all know that war is bad, governments are corrupt and (insert ethnic group here) are oppresed. Saying it again and again won't change anything. People are aware. They have been bombarded by artist since the '60's about "revolution" and "changing the world". The way to change is to tell stories. Move people by example. Connect with them, then rip thier hearts out. Set them up with warm and fuzzy and comfortable, then take it away. Pluck thier sense or irony. Say something personal, not general. Lay your heart and soul bare for them. Make them feel your pain and maybe it will be thiers too. Shatter thier perspective, take away all hope, then restore it. Make them laugh. Make them cry. Make them scream with rage. Make them whoop with joy. Make them feel the full magnitude of the emotions you feel, and show them that you are the same as they are. Then you have done your job. The rest is up to them.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by Cupmcmali: [b]Ohh, and I forgot to say that hip/hop rap has, at times the socially aware lyrics, [/b][/quote]Most of that awarness is usually limited to 1 city block.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

No, no, no, You guys are missing the point. We DON'T need a band or music that matters. What we need are bands and music that don't matter. Remember that buzz phrase "think outside the box"? That's the problem! Everyone's outside the box! Rock-n-Roll is subversive! If everyone is outside the box, then the true artists need to "Think INSIDE the box"! The problem with music today is that TOO MUCH thought goes into it! Too much product positioning! I read part of an interview with the director of programming at MTV, and he's going on about ALL of the research involved in keeping abreast of what kids think is cool. He's saying a 35 year old can't program for a 17 year old demographic by basing it on what he or she remembers about what it was like to be 17. I'm reading this and thinking; "You're about 35 you dweeb! And you're in charge of programming! Why don't you simplify the whole process and put 17 year olds in charge!?!?" But then I thought; "That will never work, because they probably don't believe that 17 year olds know what 17 year olds want to see on TV". On VH-1 yesterday they were talking about Pink, Avril Lavigne (Apparently pronounced Laveen -I wasn't sure...), Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch. I finally understood what these girls are doing making albums in the age of Britney and Christina. They are opposites. They can play instruments (some can), write songs, they are all reasonably attractive, but none are the bombshell Lolitas that Britney and Christina were. Those days are over. It's the age of the 'girl next door' now. I don't know how Christina's new album is doing, but I'll bet Britney will release one more album to mediocre sales and then go the way of the Spice Girls. Too much planning goes into all of this shit. They like to think they know what they're doing, but they don't. Good music will always do well. Stop trying to create the next fad, the next BIG THING. I think the industry would do better if they stopped trying to milk everything for all it's worth. Fewer ups and downs.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]On VH-1 yesterday they were talking about Pink, Avril Lavigne (Apparently pronounced Laveen -I wasn't sure...), Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch. I finally understood what these girls are doing making albums in the age of Britney and Christina. They are opposites [/quote]The chick singer/songwriter, is the new big label trend. The boyband, Britney/Christina thing finally bottomed out, and their research indicated that kids wanted to hear the opposite. Now they will flood us with them instead. Just as viciously marketed. Aviril was probably on track to be the next Britney, but they saw that ending, and made her a punk chick instead. Welcome to the latest trend.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Since when does a band need to matter? It's entertainment after all. I finished reading the Beatles Anthology and basically they all said they were just a good little rock group. Ambitious, hard wroking and creative but just a band. It was everyone else that kept looking for some meaning in what they did. A band only matters if people think they do, so does anything else as a matter of fact.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog So, anyone up for it? [/quote]I'm working on it Rog :D I just need ......well ........uh ............uhm A bass player. Then We'll take over the world like "Pinky and the Brain".

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

You think Avril Lavigne isn't a major label invention? Think again. They've got their nasty little fingers wrapped around that 'project' like you wouldn't believe it. No, music was better when really the only people involved with making a record were the band an the producer. Now ecvery nitwit, right down to the mailroom guy sees to think they have the right to have artistic input into an artists recording. Howsabout they just fuck right off?

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Super 8 said: "Too much planning goes into all of this shit. They like to think they know what they're doing, but they don't. Good music will always do well. Stop trying to create the next fad, the next BIG THING. I think the industry would do better if they stopped trying to milk everything for all it's worth. Fewer ups and downs." Amen to that, Super. You can't second guess everything. Be true to yourself. Don't be a follower, be a leader. You may be the next big thing, probably not. But, you'll be true to yourself...and if, by some oddity, you are the next big thing, it will be even sweeter.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Yuri T.: [b]Since when does a band need to matter? It's entertainment after all. I finished reading the Beatles Anthology and basically they all said they were just a good little rock group. Ambitious, hard wroking and creative but just a band. It was everyone else that kept looking for some meaning in what they did. A band only matters if people think they do, so does anything else as a matter of fact.[/b][/quote]For me, "entertainment" is [i]Happy Days[/i] or similar, I don't let "entertainment" anywhere near my CD player. Or do I? Why are Bob Dylan, The Clash, Shostakovich, Bob Marley, The Beatles, etc. "entertaining" to me? Why are Brittney, Puff Daddy, Sting, Blue, Ketchup Song women, Phil Collins, etc. abaout as far from "entertaining" as is humanly possible for me? Yuri, "Since when does a band need to matter?" No sarcasm here, I'd love to know what you think?

[quote]Originally posted by Henchman: [b]You think Avril Lavigne isn't a major label invention? Think again.[/b][/quote]No doubt. It may have been a little confusing at first because it was a 180 from the recent trend. Did anybody else see how bad she (Avril) sucked on MTV *(EM-CHEE-ZEE)* on New Years Eve? Christ, she's sings worse than Britney live. There must be Auto-Tune all over her CD. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[/QUOTE] Why are Bob Dylan, The Clash, Shostakovich, Bob Marley, The Beatles, etc. "entertaining" to me? Why are Brittney, Puff Daddy, Sting, Blue, Ketchup Song women, Phil Collins, etc. abaout as far from "entertaining" as is humanly possible for me? [/QB][/QUOTE] Because,Rog,one is either on the bus,or not on the bus,as Ken Kesey once said.It just means you're on the bus.Whereas our friend Phil never even made it to the bus stop.........

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

[quote] KHAN sed: [b]Christ, she's sings worse than Britney live. There must be Auto-Tune all over her CD.[/b] [/quote]Yup. All over the place, man. So, how's about we all get supa-phly and go see Widespread Panic. They can play their instruments well. And they rock. They could make more money than Britney and all them combine, but they choose to stay back and play good music, and put on the show.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b] Yuri, "Since when does a band need to matter?" No sarcasm here, I'd love to know what you think?[/b][/quote]It all depends on your definition of "matter" I guess. In the grand scheme of life how much can any band matter compared to your family, friends, world leaders, making a living, getting food, medicine, war, peace and on. Sure some artists might be able to make some difference but in the long run we're here to entertain, tell a story, convey an emotion and at best to be a mirror of current society. The Beatles first made it huge singing mostly little love songs. Then as they grew up what they wrote changed as did thier audience. So they became a voice or outlet for their generation. So for the sake of posterity they are an icon of an era. I guess in that respect they matter.

[quote]Originally posted by lakeside studios: [b][/quote]Why are Bob Dylan, The Clash, Shostakovich, Bob Marley, The Beatles, etc. "entertaining" to me? Why are Brittney, Puff Daddy, Sting, Blue, Ketchup Song women, Phil Collins, etc. abaout as far from "entertaining" as is humanly possible for me? [/b][/QUOTE] Because,Rog,one is either on the bus,or not on the bus,as Ken Kesey once said.It just means you're on the bus.Whereas our friend Phil never even made it to the bus stop.........[/QB][/QUOTE] Ahh, the Door's Blue Bus ... I'll see you at the back :) ... or was it The Who's Magic Bus? Shit, too many busses! I know it wasn't Cliff & The Shad's bus :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]If you listen to a song and it gets you off it matters. If it doesn't get you off it doesn't matter. End of story.[/b][/quote]No, no, no, no. NOT end of story. Music has, perhaps most of all the arts, the ability to affect social and political change "All we are saying is give peace a chance" ... Dino. Either you recognise and cherish this amazing ability that music has and perhaps, even, you take it up and use it, or ... "It gets you off" A sponge bath and a picture of Willow from [i]Buffy[/i] gets me off, music is more important than that though, at least to me. If it isn't to you then maybe you should sell your guitars and invest in a bigger bath? :rolleyes:

There have been (& for each generation/culture clique, will continue to be) bands "that matter"...though sometimes I like to recall the quote "The stars are matter but we don't."* Sometimes each of us goes through periods that are outward focused alternating with inward focus. [This got Bob Dylan in a lot of trouble when he "abandoned" overtly political lyrics for more personal stuff, 'round about his 4th or 5th record] What matters shifts variously with our perception of the world; same thing happens to those we look to for inspiration----remeber, they're just people, too. Personally, I look back on (but try to keep alive) the vital lassons gleaned from George Clinton's PFunk cosmology. [& if you think they were just a bunch of partying booty-shakers, you should really find some of their recordings & check them out---there's a wealth of cleverly encoded aphorisms & philosophy in there!] Lately I've found a certain inspiration in the Flaming Lips, a band I never liked previously. Their song "Do You Realize?" is, I think, quite important. ...but I think the dichotomy is in trying to find [i]A[/i] band/artist that matters---take the important elements from wherever you find them & weave your own fabric that is bigger! [* mangled version of a Don Van Vliet/ Captain Beefheart remark]

[quote]Originally posted by the people of Earth: [b] Lately I've found a certain inspiration in the Flaming Lips, a band I never liked previously. Their song "Do You Realize?" is, I think, quite important. [/b][/quote]DAMN fucking right :) Do you realise the life goes fast? It's hard to make the good times last. Do you realise the sun doesn't go down? It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round.

Archived