Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This is the coolest music contest I've ever seen: Stockhausen on Acid!


Recommended Posts



  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Um... [quote]Professor Stockhausen has developed an approach called "formula composition" in which a single musical idea is used to develop a larger composition.[/quote]Wow! That's probably a shock to all the composers of "Themes and Variations" and all the classical music composed by one composer based on the theme of another composer.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by joegerardi: [b]Um... [quote]Professor Stockhausen has developed an approach called "formula composition" in which a single musical idea is used to develop a larger composition.[/quote]Wow! That's probably a shock to all the composers of "Themes and Variations" and all the classical music composed by one composer based on the theme of another composer.[/b][/quote]Yeah... There's a perfect example of someone from SF marketing department trying to decribe the importance of Stockhausen... and not quite being able to do it very well in a press release format. Oh well..... Stockhausen is still huge in the music world. Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wait a minute! A "composition contest" using Acid? That's like an architecture contest using pieces of other buildings. Maybe instead of building a new World Trade Center, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey should just grab a few floors from each of several famous skyscrapers and landmark buildings and slap them together into a collage beside the Hudson River. Wouldn't THAT be cool? :rolleyes: Personally, I'd rather hear solo trombone music. ;)

The Black Knight always triumphs!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Wait a minute! A "composition contest" using Acid? That's like an architecture contest using pieces of other buildings. Maybe instead of building a new World Trade Center, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey should just grab a few floors from each of several famous skyscrapers and landmark buildings and slap them together into a collage beside the Hudson River. Wouldn't THAT be cool? :rolleyes: Personally, I'd rather hear solo trombone music. ;) [/b][/quote]Hey, remixing is still composing Dan. Have you heard any clever remixes lately? Are YOU a remixer? Have you ever attempted a remix? If so, were you happy with the end result? Apparently not. You clearly have no frame of reference, and therefore no right to even comment on the subject of remixing, let alone respond to a thread about a remixing contest. :wave:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Bubby Chastard: [b]Hey, remixing is still composing Dan. [/b][/quote]With all due respect, I absolutely disagree. Remixing is arranging, not composing. That's not a disparaging remark. Arranging is just as important and difficult a task as composing, perhaps moreso, but it's important not to confuse the two.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Bubby Chastard: [b]So if I take all the tracks of a given song, and chop them up, and rearrange them to form NEW melodies and progressions, am I not composing? Case closed.[/b][/quote]If you re-edit Gone With The Wind into a different story line, it's not the same thing as shooting your own film from your own screenplay written from your own experiences and the feelings in your own heart. Sorry.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

com·pose ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-pz) v. com·posed, com·pos·ing, com·pos·es v. tr. To make up the constituent parts of; constitute or form: an exhibit composed of French paintings; the many ethnic groups that compose our nation. See Usage Note at comprise. [b]To make or create by putting together parts or elements. To create or produce (a literary or musical piece). [/b] To make (oneself) calm or tranquil: Compose yourself and deal with the problems logically. To settle or adjust; reconcile: They managed to compose their differences. [b]To arrange aesthetically or artistically. [/b] Printing. To arrange or set (type or matter to be printed).
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's one way that remixing might be considered composing, even by Dan S.: You record multiple tracks all relating to a main theme (or themes); then, in the mixing process, you select those sections that you wish to include. This technique can be simple (rock guitarist building solo from improvisations) or more complex (entirely different sections brought in or bypassed). I've done it both ways. This can even be used to produce several very different outcomes. Is that merely rearranging? What I really want to say, however, is that history of Stockhausen's career is tiny bit inaccurate. The only people from those San Francisco rock bands who ever studied at a music school in the mid-60s, for instance, were Phil Lesh & Tom Constanten (although Mickey Hart did later study with some mid-Eastern percussion cats). And John Lennon's outre tendencies aside, it's well known that McCartney was the influence that brought Stockhausen's influence to the Beatles. No wonder Macca's gettin' paranoid about his "place in history"!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]Here's one way that remixing might be considered composing, even by Dan S.: You record multiple tracks all relating to a main theme (or themes); then, in the mixing process, you select those sections that you wish to include. This technique can be simple (rock guitarist building solo from improvisations) or more complex (entirely different sections brought in or bypassed).[/b][/quote]Good example.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you compose something, you write an arrangement of it, its primary arrangement. You can't compose without creating an arrangement in the process. If you (or anyone else) rearrange(s) the piece, you(they) are arranging, not composing. If you sit down at a piano (or other instrument) and improvise a song, your composing. If you play an improvised arrangement of an existing song, you're arranging. If you improvise a solo over an existing piece of music, you are composing a new melody for it. I would not consider that arranging, because you're not affecting the entire arrangement, just one part.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Nothing to see here. Please disburse.[/b][/quote]Is it "disburse" or "disperse"? Doesn't "disburse" mean to "pay out", while "disperse" means to "scatter in all directions"? Please arrange your response carefully. :D - Jeff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by d: [b]Here's one way that remixing might be considered composing, even by Dan S.: You record multiple tracks all relating to a main theme (or themes); [/b][/quote]If you wrote and recorded the themes, then you have composed. If you taken tracks written by someone else, then you have arranged. :wave:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Nothing to see here. Please disburse.[/b][/quote]Is it "disburse" or "disperse"? Doesn't "disburse" mean to "pay out", while "disperse" means to "scatter in all directions"? Please arrange your response carefully. :D - Jeff[/b][/quote]I subconsciously want people to pay me. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b] [quote]Originally posted by d: [b]Here's one way that remixing might be considered composing, even by Dan S.: You record multiple tracks all relating to a main theme (or themes); [/b][/quote]If you wrote and recorded the themes, then you have composed. If you taken tracks written by someone else, then you have arranged. :wave: [/b][/quote]What about taking tracks written by someone else, and creating a NEW theme out of them? That would be composing, sir.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Nothing to see here. Please disburse.[/b][/quote]Is it "disburse" or "disperse"? Doesn't "disburse" mean to "pay out", while "disperse" means to "scatter in all directions"? Please arrange your response carefully. :D - Jeff[/b][/quote]Please tell me Dan misused a word. OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE !!!!! He has corrected me on sooooooooo many occasions. Please god. Just give me this one thing. ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Himself: [b]IWhat about taking tracks written by someone else, and creating a NEW theme out of them? That would be composing, sir.[/b][/quote]Not in my book. At best it's a pretty big sssstttttrrrreeeeeettttttccccccchhhhh . :)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Yes, I did...Kahn. ;) [/b][/quote]That's two. :p [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img] [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img] [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img] [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img] [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img] [img]http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/fruit.gif[/img]
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...