Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP from my New York brothers

I need help from my New York brothers! I have lived in the same apartment in NYC for the past sixteen years. It’s in a luxury doorman building on Lexington Ave. & 26th Street. The apartment is a 700 sq.ft. studio with half of the room being 400 sq.ft. and has 9’6" ceilings. I have successfully recorded everything from live drums to ‘The Uptown Horns’ without so much as a knock on the door. Now….we don’t do that at night, etc. But…I have gotten away with murder for years. That is about to end. It’s a very convoluted story but, I have to move. They are not renewing my lease. For those of you who live in Manhattan you know how particularly devastating this can be. I’m now paying $1,300.00 a month. They will put in a new kitchen and parquet floor and charge (and get) around $2,500.00 a month. There is no way I can replicate this situation in Manhattan. [comparable apts. are $3K a month & I could never make noise]. I have looked at a few lofts in Brooklyn. Although they are big and spacious, they simply have sheet rock walls. Forget about me making noise. I’ll hear my neighbors T.V.! I have lived in Manhattan for 23 years and I love it. I am reaching out to one and all. A lifetime of being a musician has shown me what an amazing community we are. How, when we network, we can accomplish anything. You never know who knows who knows who! I believe in taking life by the horns and winning. I know I can come out of this with a great new story; "Did you hear about Benjy? He had to move, and found this amazing….." So….I’m reaching out. Any and all suggestions will be so appreciated. Got an uncle that’s the biggest real estate guy in NYC? Know of a studio that’s relocating to larger digs? Etc., etc. Sincerely, Benjy King 212.684.1172 [url=http://www.benjyking.com]www.benjyking.com[/url] P.S. I’m going to post this everywhere. I hope you all don’t mind.
Benjy

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Consigning sheetrock walls to all of Brooklyn is a bit sweeping. In fact it's pure drama queen. Look closer. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid it's the Anti-Brooklyn for you. That's right, climb on the PATH and head for Jersey City. How can you have lived in the city for more than two decades and expect someone to barf up city life's most precious, prized possession -- namely, an apartment -- to, of all things, a stranger? For heaven's sake, get a hold of yourself.

take it eaaasssssyyyy, he is obviously feeling desperate and very vunerable right about now, we've all been there. i don't know what i'd do if I had to move either. it looks like the first thing you need to do is get your back up plans together starting with the worst case scenario first, and then work backwards from that. get intouch with as many likeminded musicians in brooklyn as you can and let them direct you to places that might work out for you. you might not want to do this but this is what I have done and would do. you seem like the type of person who doesn't move around alot, that's a plus find a good place, that has mimimal people around for you to disturb, and build another room within a room, soundproofed, you can do the floor too. It may seem like alot, but for people like us, what you'll get in return is beyond worth it. I've done this with my apartment and it works really well, since you probably will be there for a long time, you can do little by little over time, in the end you'll end up liking the new place even more. and if your landlord won't let you do that kind of thing, thats no problem it's better to build it in pannels anyway, that way you can take it with you when you go. peace and good luck to you.

[quote]Originally posted by Empty Planet: [b]Consigning sheetrock walls to all of Brooklyn is a bit sweeping. In fact it's pure drama queen. Look closer. __________________________________________ I've looked at 15 lofts under construction in Brooklyn. Every single one has sheet rock walls. I actually put a deposit on a duplex/penthouse last week on 112th Street & 2nd ave. But, after closer inspection...sheet rock and nothing else. ___________________________________________ [/b][/quote]How can you have lived in the city for more than two decades and expect someone to barf up city life's most precious, prized possession -- namely, an apartment -- to, of all things, a stranger? For heaven's sake, get a hold of yourself. ___________________________________________ What the fuck are you talking about? Who asked any one to barf up an apartment? I'm looking for suggestions of where to look, etc. So far I have received some e-mails with great suggestions (Inwood, Sunset Park, etc.) Thanks for nothing.
Benjy

[quote]Originally posted by Empty Planet: [b]climb on the PATH and head for Jersey . [/b][/quote]That is your best bet if you wan't to stay near NY.Bloomberg is already setting the motions to make things worse for our ilk.I used to live in Manhattan in various locations in the 70's,and when every musician I know was pushed out(like you)they all headed to either Jersey or Long Island City across the bridge.Although I thrived on NY for quite a while I had come to realize that it really wasn't the artist communinty it once was,so the decision to move was easier for me.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Benjy, all of my city friends seems to be landing really sweet apts. *way* uptown, like 200th street on the West Side. I've been blown away by the size and price of some of the places up there. Getting downtown is almost like commuting, but it's still Manhattan, technically at least...
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Apology excepted. I've had a great run in New York. Four years ago I was only paying $765.00 for this place. When I signed the lease it was $436.00. It's still well under market value. That's why they want it. But, it's time for me to move on. I'm a little too nested in here. I've been through two wives and a lot of life here. Time for a fresh start. Plus, as great as it is, I've outgrown it. I now have a Sony DMX-R100 console, Hammond organ, etc. in here. It's a little much. I have made plans to see some things in Jersey City. I saw a great place in south Harlem yesterday, but not quite right. As a dear friend said to me a few years ago regarding Manhattan. "Get over it!" Thanks. Benjy
Benjy

Anyone who lives ouside of NYC will not believe how expensive it is. I wish I had some people for you to call but all I can say is the Williamsburg area is pricey and lots of posers there anyway but nice restaurants and decent bars. You could look in Greenpoint which is close to the `burg but you will still be paying lots of rent. I live in Sourthern Bklyn (Mill Basin) and enjoy the quiet but it is a little too out of the way from the city for my tastes. I think Williamsburg is a great spot but way too expensive. It was a secret for many years (being so close to the city) but now the secret is out and the rents are up up up. You paid such a low rent for so many years in the city, maybe its time you purchased a home and built yourself a studio and finish the walls with what you want. EJB

Benjy, Check out Red Hook and Sunset Park in S. Brooklyn - 20 minutes from Manhattan, only drawback (and reason it's cheap) is that you have to bus, bike, walk or drive to the subway. But you can get a lot of space for not much.... It's one neighborhood south of mine and worth checking out.... Good luck the Dahkter

Archived