Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music stand with a computer screen built in

I saw this described in print and now I can't find it or even know what to search for. It's a music stand that has some kind of screen. LCD screen or something. Which means that instead of propping up sheet music or lead sheets, you somehow load them in as computer files and then they are displayed on the screen. This is almost EXACTLY what I have wished for. Of course, I dread seeing the price but this sounds seriously cool. Anyone know anything about it? For a long time, I have wished for some kind of computer thing would scroll the music onscreen as you play. This probably doesn't do that but it's probably a static image. Scrolling would be the ultimate.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found something called estand on google but [url=http://www.estand.tv]www.estand.tv[/url] says it's under construction. But I clicked on the cached page and found some info. This IS the one I'm talking about. And it DOES scroll in real time. === FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Sitrick And Company Anne DeWolfe Nancy Peck (310) 788-2850 David Sitrick e-Stand, Inc. (847) 329-3000 Itzhak Perlman to Debut Digital Music Stand with Chicago Symphony Orchestra at Ravinia Festival Chicago – June 20, 2002 – World-renowned violinist Itzhak Perlman will unveil the e-Stand PerformerTM Digital Music Workstation (Conductor™ model) when he conducts an all-Beethoven program at the Ravinia Festival Sunday, June 23 at 7 p.m. at the Pavilion in Highland Park. e-Stand Performer™ is an appliance. It is a touch screen networkable music display workstation. When it is turned on, it powers up as an electronic music stand. No computer dialog. No mouse. No keyboard. No paper. The e-Stand Performer is a patented stand-alone and networkable sheet music management and collaboration system that will redefine how musicians interact with their music. It is a “hands-free” and “noise-free” technology that will allow musicians to focus completely on playing and interpreting music rather than on turning pages of sheets of music. It will also dramatically change the way music is composed, edited, stored and distributed. The e-Stand Performer™ Digital Music Workstation music is displayed on a flat-screen monitor that is about the size of a traditional music stand. Unlike sheet-music software that requires the musician to click a mouse or use a metronome, e-Stand advances the music in the musician’s own real time, or in the time of an entire orchestra. The e-Stand models will be sold at prices competitive with comparable laptop computers. Student, Consumer and Professional models will be offered at varying prices. Custom models – such as for touring bands and ensembles – will be offered on demand. e-Stand currently has a supplier with an international presence and is in talks with several established manufacturers of consumer electronic and computer equipment. Each has multiple manufacturing and support locations both domestically and internationally.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Harry Connick has been using something like that with his big band for a few years. [img]http://www.satchmo.com/leroyjones/tptchair.jpg[/img] [url=http://old.ait.iastate.edu/newsletter/199908/article24.html]old story (1999)[/url] [i]...As part of the trend toward a "paperless society", Connick has redefined how his big band musicians read music during concerts. Instead of the traditional sheet music, Connick has installed a computer in front of each musician's chair that displays all the music for the entire show. Connick said he has been writing all his music on the computer for a while. "It was easier than carrying a pile of manuscript paper, pencils, sharpeners, and erasers," he told the audience. On top of that, he said, he hated trying to turn pages in the music while he was trying to conduct his band, and while he and the band were playing. The sound of turning pages comes through on recordings, he said. So, he came up with the idea of putting all that music onto a zip disk and displaying it on monitors for each of his musicians. ...By the day of the concert, all 14 of the Apple G3 computers were ready. Instead of turning a sheet of music, Connick's band members merely had to touch a specific key. Likewise, going back to a previous page was as easy as pushing a button. Each music chart could be accessed through pushing one of the function keys on the top of the keyboard. Harder said the computers had a good reaction time to the key commands. The music was displayed on LCD monitors that were rotated for portrait instead of landscape viewing. Harder said it looked just like reading music from a piece of paper. Finale, a popular music-writing software application, was used to display the music.[/i]

Hey livemusic . I know your talking about a music stand . But , I have a video interface on my keyboard . If a guitar player sit's in , I have midi sequences with chord charts to view (lyrics as well) from the lcd display on my keyboard to a monitor. If you look at General Music products over the years they could scroll notation and had a video out .Yamaha's newest keyboard TYRO's has the ability to scroll notation on a computer monitor . Now with flat screens , it's getting easier to mount a monitor to your keyboard . Dano / arrangerguy
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Here is a smilar product that I have been following. It is called the MusicPad Pro from [url=http://www.freehandsystems.com]Freehand Systems[/url] . I think it looks cool, but they have been promising to ship it for over a year, now they are saying Jan 2003. It is basically a tablet computer that displays jpegs, pdfs, etc. You can mark them up with the built in tools and it has some neat features designed for musicians. You can advance pages with a footswitch, and it is Macintosh and Windows compatible, etc. Chuck

Archived