Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help! dull mix issue SEK'd PRODIF PLUS

Craig, et al... Any ideas?... I'm using Win 98, Pentium II, 350mhz with a Sek'd Prodif Plus card recorded onto Cakewalk 9.03. I can tell a noticeable difference between the sounds of my Kurzweil keyboard, etc and what is recorded into Cakewalk tracks when I record into the analog input of the soundcard. The sounds do not have the same fullness or stereo imaging. Also, when I master projects (I use T-Racks and Sound Forge 6 a lot) and burn them to CD the mixes have been best described as "dull". No real clarity in the mid ranges. Any tips or ideas on how to overcome this dilemma(s). Maybe everyone is dealing with this. Will I have to learn how to "mix to the soundcard" to overcompensate for the sound I'm losing? Here are the specs on the card: http://www.sekd.com/start.htm Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you going straight in from your keyboard to your card?If so I would reccommend going in via a board or pre or at least a d/i.After that you should have at least 1 nice EQ plugin that you like to adjust things before the final mix.I realize your a bit short on power(350MHZ?)to keep a good plug live,but if you use it on key things toward the end of this mix,you can still render without too much damage at that stage.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]I realize your a bit short on power(350MHZ?)to keep a good plug live,but if you use it on key things toward the end of this mix,you can still render without too much damage at that stage.[/quote]Yeah I think the lack of a real processor is the bigger issue. I'm having to be a lot more creative when it comes to running effects. I can get 2 plug-ins going in real time but beyond that Cakewalk locks up. I appreciate your input. I've been putting off the system upgrade long enough. Sony's VAIO system looks awesome. Happy New Year!

[quote] Sony's VAIO system looks awesome.[/quote]It would seem that some that used to work in Sony's custormer support facility didn't share this sentiment. :) http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71090 But, a new DAW would certainly be in order. Look fo a reputable local shop to build you a DAW with some decent components and I think you can get a better "bang for the buck" than the name brand products offer, and warrentee's that are comparable. Also, be advised that when you monitor your soundcard inputs, you are doing just that, monitoring what is coming to the input. Once you record that sound, it has now gone through another A/D conversion, and another D/A conversion compared to what you monitored. It can sound different if the quality of the A/D/A converters involved are not all that hot. Good luck. Ed

Sonusman, DAW is waaaay out of my price range. I've got a friend pushing me to build my own PC too... Here's the challenge...Tell me where I can get a "PC building for dummies guide" or would it still be cheaper to buy all of the components and have a reputable shop build it (although that seems self-defeating) Thanks for the input.

Archived