Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz pianists

part1sts

Well, since the original poster seemed to ask for a good 'starting point' in jazz piano, I just tried to list the indispensable ones (how could I forget Ellington and Basie..!). I absolutely love Hyman, Camilo, Peterson, Wilson, Shearing, Walton, Beirach, Rubalcaba, Calderazzo, Petrucciani, Flanagan, Jamal (those last two are personal favorites) and most other pianists who have been quoted. They're all part of a great, and maybe dying, tradition.

Thanks to mojazz for the links to good 'current' jazz pianists; I'll check them ASAP.

Niacin - Gordon Beck is a monster pianist. He's from the UK, but has played with lots of American stars. I once saw him with Michael Brecker, and was stunned by his understated virtuosity. I have even transcribed some of his improvisations.

My absolute favorite Beck record is an album of duets with guitar monster Allan Holdsworth, called "With a Heart in my Song". More recently, he guested on Holdsworth's "None Too Soon", an album of jazz standards featuring Gary Willis and Kirk Covington. I also like Beck's pianism in an album by French violinist Didier Lockwood, called, if memory serves, "New World".

I also have a couple of solo albums, "Reasons" (piano) and another one which is piano and keyboards, but the title escapes me, sorry. But anyway, Beck's talent seems to shine best when stimulated by a great soloist rather than left to himself.

Finally, I'd like to add a name to the list: The late, great Kenny Kirkland. His solo album is fantastic. He was one of the few who tried to reconcile synths with jazz and the acoustic piano.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great list, Marino. All the others mentioned are great too, but I think Marino's list is a great starter, but you definitely should include the Big Band guys, Count Basie and Duke Ellington. In particular, Basie is a lesson in how little to play, and what's most crucial to play: how he conducts the orchestra from the keyboard. (Well, you could say that for Ellington too.) Note that their parts are almost more rythmic than harmonic or melodic.

I'd want to add Gershwin, but in some other category like "show tunes".

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Man, I 've always hated that expression, "cocktail pianist". I usually see it used when referring to Bill Evans and now Ahmad Jamal? To me it's a very demeaning and condescending term, used by those who can't deal with the intricacy and elegance of a cerebral solo pianist.
I've made a great deal of my living as a cocktail pianist - it's not demeaning at all to me. It takes a fair amount of technique (as a minimum) to play solo piano. I remember my first ventures as a solo pianist, playing an hour before the rest of the band showed up - thank goodness there's no recordings to be used as evidence.

(As an aside, I worked eight years or so with Jimmy Cammack who is now the bassist with Ahmad Jamal (né Fritz Jones).

Oh dear, I see I needed a smiley or rolleyes or something as well as the inverted commas around "cocktail pianist". The term - an insult to jazz players - was infamously used by the critic Nat Hentoff who disparaged Jamal's whole approach. At the same time Miles Davis was trying to get Red Garland to play like Jamal, and recorded a couple of Jamal originals and borrowed a number of Jamal's arrangements.

For the record I a) have every recording of Jamal that has been released on CD that I know of, and he is my favourite pianist bar none, and b) I too have made a living as a cocktail pianist (and tend to describe myself as a cocktail pianist who knows a few jazz changes, which is basically accurate.)

Marino - thanks for the Beck info, I'll check him out. And if you like Jamal definitely get hold of the DVD "Live in Baalbeck". Superb sound and some of the best camera work I've seen on a concert. Except, strangely, on Poinciana the video and the sound are half a beat out of sync. :confused:

Dave Horne - you played with Mr Cammack. I love his work. Seems to be one of the younger bass players whose sound and style is immediately identifiable. His tone seems to mesh with Jamal just brilliantly. With Cammack and Idrus Muhammad I think Jamal sounds the best he has since the early trio with Fournier and Israel Crosby.

Cheers,

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Dave Horne - you played with Mr Cammack. I love his work. Seems to be one of the younger bass players whose sound and style is immediately identifiable.
I knew Mr. Cammack before he was even James Cammack - he was Jimmy to us (and still is). I'm 54 so I'm guessing Jim is about 45 or so. We worked together when we both were incarcerated in the USMA Band. When Jimmy started out playing big band charts he didn't quite grasp the concept of stylistic playing. He would play 'Jaco' during a Glenn Miller chart. It took time and he matured. He was often frustrated with the big band as he had better time than the drummer and there was always friction.

He has the best time of any bass player I have ever worked with ... and he has the biggest ears as well, bar none.

I have a personal story to pass on about Jimmy. I booked a private party many, many years ago and Jimmy was the bass player - he was a kid at this time. He showed up on the job wearing orange work boots, black pants which were ripped up the side and a pull over type shirt. Back then, before I wore a tux on jobs, I wore either a sport coat and tie or a suit and tie. I looked an Jimmy and did not know what to say. I sent him home to change his clothes and he did.

The last time I spoke with him, he lived in Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY. He's in the phone book.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I would like to add a CD for all jazz piano lovers - two greats together. It's entitled "Satch and Josh" (Company "Pablo", with a very interesting story about the title in the liner notes, a story that most of fellow Aamerican friends may connet to) with Oscar Peterson and Count Basie (with band) playin piano (occasionaly Basie plays the Hammond) together. It's pure magic!! Two in one, a classic cut

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Originally posted by cnegrad:

Does anyone have a favorite Ahmad Jamal album? (Preferably one that's available on cd.) I haven't listened to him since I dumped my vinyl collection....

Presently, Nature (the Essence vol.3). Link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007ROF/qid=1106746154/sr=1-27/ref=sr_1_27/103-9023982-9404656?v=glance&s=music

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Archived