Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MPN forums and IE 6.0 Service Pak 1

Well, Ani, things have changed since 1986. Macs became really cool about the time the PowerPC chip was introduced. The G3/USB/no serial port revolution (Blue G3's) was another big step forward. I haven't used OS-X yet, but my G4 w/ OS 9.1 is a workhorse. Kevin F - glad to hear about your positive Mac experience. That's the way it was for me, also. I tried it and I was HOOKED. And that was a little, dinky 10MHz machine with 10 Megs of RAM and a tiny monochromatic monitor. :) It wasn't the hardware that impressed me so much as the ease and friendliness of the whole approach. It's a computer that does what you want it to WHEN you want it to with a minimum of fuss. Who has time for fuss?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Dan, I'll take your word for it until I actually WITNESS a newer MAC in action using Pro Tools Professional version or another music related software program. Not just WITNESSING... I WANT HANDS ON EXPERIENCE to make darned sure I can operate the gear from A to Z. Maybe I'll check around at some of our local universities to see if the offer courses in computerized music NOW. Before I drop any huge sums of money on something iffy, in my mind, I'm going to know that "I" can get use out of it.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote][b]I've invested some major dough into web developing and graphics design programs with the intention of opening up a section in my site where I will host (sublet) artist and expert engineer profiles and products for a fee. I've been in the process of checking out payment processing services so to allow clients means of secure transactions and also I've been trying to develop a rate scedule for my services . Although I am not currently rolling in the cash, the potential is definitely there. When I run into snares like this one though.......... GAWD, it makes me think twice. Of course, if I had the cash rolling in to support this project... I wouldn't be operating on with a dinosaur processor and upgrades; I'd keep current with technology at all times. However, when building a business from scratch, you do what you've gotta do and hope for the best. Maybe I'll get REAL lucky and some artist will like my songwriting style and take me back to where my heart really is.... MUSIC. [/quote][/b] Anifa, wrave really seriously does have the ticket on this one. Especially in places that count, such as web design, development, etc. This sort of debacle that you are describing pretty much never happens, in fact it CANT happen, in the linux world. Don't take me wrong, but it appears that you're reluctant to try linux as a web development workstation due to familiarity with Microsoft Products (such as Frontpage). I don't want this to sound the way it does- seriously i'm not getting on your case.... but there are a HELL of a lot of "drag n drop webdesigners" tripping over themselves. I don't know what your skills are, but the folks that can write HTML/XML/Javascript/Java/cgi/perl/php by HAND are the ones that have ultimate control over thier site, and can create stuff that's a thousand times better than all those cookie-cutter Frontpage and 4D sites out there. Not only that, here is Yet Another Avenue of Income- webdesigners that can do this make the BIG bucks. There is nothing Microsoft Frontpage can do that hand-coders cannot, and Frontpage has tons of limitations. Look at the page source for this forum cgi- you could learn this stuff over a weekend, and next time you could spend the $800 on something you really need. [quote][b] Keep current with technology at all times [/quote][/b] Well.. wrave beat me to this also... UNIX type machines have had incredible track records of stability, robustness, security, and integrity going back to the early 70's. Machines with uptimes of months and years is not uncommon. The idea of service packs, restarting the computer constantly, daily crashes, having to reinstall the OS to fix things, forced upgrades, misbehaved applications that take the whole machine down.. the list goes on and on..... This was unheard of until Microsoft Windows and (though not QUITE as bad, but still bad) MacOS came along. Tell me what's current technology when the OS can't even hold itself together for six months, when OS's that CAN do it are over 30 years old? Yes apple has recently patched an operating system together for thier machine out of some FreeBSD ports, and i give them +300 cool points for getting with the program. They're not totally with it yet, but they're gettin there. I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles, i'll say i hope it never happens again. Really i do. But i know and you know that it will. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to buy some $100 used computer and throw something like Mandrake or RedHat linux on it, just to toy with. It wouldn't hurt to have a side-by-side comparison. If you do anything at all, you might look into the Mozilla Web Browser like many others have suggested. Aside from being more featureful and more robust than IE, it can also block pop-up ads and javascript junk. If you have any other questions about this sort of thing (or if anyone else does) feel free to PM me and we can talk at length about it. Honest. Us geeks are here to help. :) http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ http://www.redhat.com http://www.mozilla.org

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Macs became really cool about the time the PowerPC chip was introduced[/b][/quote]And seriously un-cool when theyr'e still using 4 year old under-powered proccessor technology.The Motorola marrige is currently in divorce court and now even the IBM proc is stalled and possibly a no-go.This kind of reminds me of when I found out my old Performa's chip had no floating point instructions,and the class action suit launched by users after I dumped a small fortune for nothing :mad: .That episode taught me a lesson I'll never forget.When your using a computer for serious work regading your lively hood,putting your fate in someone else's hands(Apple) spells an accident waiting to happen.Fool me once(Apple),but certainly not twice,as I have an aversion to bending over nor $$$ to throw away.If they think I'm going to over-pay for a seriously under powered Model-T with no future proccessor support in sight,then dictate what components go into the junk heap besides while I'm trying to keep a competitive edge,well......,I think Steve Jobs better find some other naive participants because I learned my lesson a long time ago.At 3 grand per upgrade,I learned who the real theif was a long time ago......STEVE!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Wrave and Phaeton, Thanks for insight on this MicroSoft hell that I'm caught up in. I was able to download Mozilla and get it installed and running; a few hang ups to where it is not displaying text created using Word Art, but I'm assuming THAT has something to do with MS and their empire. Right now I am SO peeved at MS that I could die. I am a DROP and DRAG designer for the most part. I studied FORTRAN when the language was first introduced, however, I have not kept current with code and script writing. I've altered the generated code to make subtle changes to suit my needs; but I haven't really attempted to create anything from scratch. add on: Okay, After playing around with the Mozilla browser for a while, it looks interesting, but IE definitely has several advantages in search capabilities and other familiar features. I did explore the online editing feature of Mozilla, but I saved it to file rather than publishing it to the site. I didn't want to take any chances in overwriting files until I knew I had access to recovery. Anyway, I've got my FrontPage back online now but I'm still going to continue looking in to the other options. I'll probably go with BlueDomino hosting services in the next couple of months, and capitalize on their CoffeeCup software. YES, I KNOW.... it's another drop and drag editor; but it does provide an extensive tutorial on the HOW-TO'S of writing HTML and even some JAVA. For now though, MS and me are back to being buds. I was able to update my Office XP to accommodate the new platform. Still a few bugs that I'm trying to iron out, but the major problems seem to be under control after being chained to DLL HELL all day. [b]And Dan, [/b] I'm not quite ready to go waltzing through the APPLE Ochards just yet, me and Microsoft have kissed and made up. :cool: I won't be so quick to jump the next time I see you spitting Apple seeds at MS though. ;)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Archived