Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MPN forums and IE 6.0 Service Pak 1

Anyone running Internet Explorer 6.0 that has not downloaded the latest service pak, you might hold off for just a bit. I upgraded last night and every time I start viewing or posting on the forums here since installing the new pak, I crash and end up having to hard boot my computer. It's running fine on all other web pages except for forums. I'm going to try uninstalling the newer IE upgrade and reload the original 6.0 to see if it resolves itself; if not, I'm in for some headaches.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b]You must not be using XP. This is an attempt by Microsoft to force you to upgrade to XP. But since you are smart you will instead upgrade to Mac OS X :D [/b][/quote]Actually, my setup is kind of strange. The original platform is established on Windows 98' but I have upgraded the system to support Office XP Developer 2002 which provided an XP update for Windows bringing it current to 2002; supposedly. Maybe I should check on my upgrades available for Office XP, there may be an update in there. For crying out loud, Office XP Developer 2002 goes for around $800.00.. it ought to include the updates to all elements that it requires for support as long as it's the most current version of Office XP. I need to buy a whole new system, but, this one has been alright up till now. I have to choose between my poisons... it's either keep updating the crazy computers and software programs or buy recording gear. Sheezzzz.... I started all this WEB crud to provide an outlet for my MUSIC... now I've become a slave to Internet technologies and I never have money for MUSIC gear in trying to keep current with the web. The heck of things is the fact that when you buy upgrades, half of the time, you have to completely re-learn how to apply new applications because they changed them all around. Right now, I wish the hell I had all the money I have spent during the last two years on WEB DESIGN and graphics tools, hosting fees, and ISP services to invest in a full blown studio. I'd have a pretty darned nice set up right now. I'm just completely wired right now because I just reformatted my hard drive because of this mess. If MS wants to play friggin games, I'll run NetScape and avoid future purchases of MS products. I tried to download NetScape prior to reformatting and my computer completely psyched out... I'm sure that MS IE 6.0 and it's service pak were baited so that it would not accept a NetScape download. I'm running IE 5.0 with the original platform and I'm going to download NetScape now. I think they are at 7.0.... I TAKE BACK EVERY POSITIVE THING THAT I'VE EVER SAID ABOUT MICROSOFT. Right now I wish they would burn the hell down; every one of their offices.... This garbage has just cost me tons of hours of reconfiguring and exhausted efforts. I'm going to have to spend tons of hours reinstalling programs, registering them, upgrading them and CRAP.......... I was planning to enjoy the holidays. I still don't like MAC's yet! Bad seeds with Apple in the past.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b][QUOTE]I TAKE BACK EVERY POSITIVE THING THAT I'VE EVER SAID ABOUT MICROSOFT.[/b][/quote]You've said positive things about Microsoft? What's wrong with you? :) [quote][b]I still don't like MAC's yet! Bad seeds with Apple in the past.[/b][/quote]Bad [i]seeds[/i] with [i]Apple[/i]? You better get to the [i]core[/i] of your issues. I'm sure they [i]stem[/i] from a legitimate problem. I, personally, have owned [i]tree[/i] or four Macs and I loved them all. :D Okay...bad humor hour is now over... - Jeff

Microsoft. Heh. Fuck em. Even if they *could* unfuck themselves, i wouldn't give them a steamy bowl of my excrement for anything that they could ever pretend to produce. They can eat someone ELSE's shit for all i'm concerned. Period. :^)

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by Happy New Bearger: [b]I've been running 6.0 on an ME system for several months with no problems, other than the normal computer problems associated with these satanic devices.[/b][/quote]Dak, I was running just fine until I got TIRED of seeing that little MS Update prompt infiltrating my screen. I finally took the time to download and install it rather than just exiting out of the damn thing. It wiped me OUT.... Instantly, every time I would open the forum to read or post a topic, my system started crashing. BIG TIME!!! The most obnoxious thing is the fact that it required HARD BOOTING the computer every time it crashed. It wasn't something that I could exit out of and reload the browser. DON'T UPDATE with the new service pak. Right now, I'm crippling along on IE 5.0 which has many vulnerabilities in it; but until I figure out what I'm going to do, it's here. The system is not letting me download and install Netscape; I tried with IE 6.0 and also after reformatting and returning to IE 5.0........... Netscape seems to be out of the question through download right now. I may go ahead an order the CD through the mail service and try installing it from disk rather than download. I may have a previous copy that I have saved to disk somewhere, if I can locate it, I'll try that in the while that I'm waiting for the order to come in. I can't afford to buy a new system right now, so I have to baby this one.

[quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b]You must not be using XP. This is an attempt by Microsoft to force you to upgrade to XP. But since you are smart you will instead upgrade to Mac OS X :D [/b][/quote]Ha, yeah! Then you can REALLY start spending money on your computer... Anifa, doesn't XP have a system restore feature? If not there are utilities available that will help protect against this crap by allowing you to restore your computer to it's previous state. You should always run a utility like this right before you install any software and ESPECIALLY upgrades to so that you can undo any changes made if it screws everything up. It's a necessary precaution. On the subject of all of the $$$ you've spent on web tech, you have to remember that when you buy computers or software you are essentially buying time (forgive me if this sounds like I'm talking down to you. It's not intended that way, and I'm sure you know this stuff). MS is moving -in a big way- toward the 'software as a service' approach, where you are just leasing their stuff instead of owning a copy. It's like leasing a car. When the lease is up, you re-lease or you opt out and have no car. I think you are seeing how ridiculous staying current in hardware/software can be. It's usually worth it to stay at least a year behind the times. You'll save hundreds if not thousands, and still essentially have all the same functionality as the new stuff -minus the bugs. Also don't overlook the opensource initiative as a viable alternative to the proprietary 'trade secret' software that companies like MS are all about. Linux works, and doesn't necessarily cost anything! Star Office -or whatever it's current incarnation is- is a free download as well. There are PLENTY of alternatives to the mainstream stuff that work as good if not better! You can always run a dual-boot system to run the Windows compatible stuff. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Now relax, chill out. Put on some Janis, and get yourself a nice big bottle of E.J. You'll feel better in the morning... :bor:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b] http://www.mozilla.org/ [/b][/quote]I don't use Mozilla, but I have heard that is probably the best browser available right now. So yes, it's probably worth looking into. Oh, and Anifa! Feel free to stick with your current avatar!!! :love: You could call it an [i]"Avafa"[/i]. -okay, I know that was baaaad... :rolleyes: Our female contributers sure keep this forum from smelling like a lockerroom... Here's to the women!!! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b]Check out this [url=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=bsbtKC7qCHA.1340%40cpmsftngxa09&rnum=2]reply[/url] straight from the horse's mouth. Sounds like fun :eek: [/b][/quote]You've gotta LOVE Microsoft software. It "just works" - as long as you follow a twenty-two step setup algorithm engineered by an expert that I'll bet is NOT included in the product documentation. :mad:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b]I still don't like MAC's yet! Bad seeds with Apple in the past.[/b][/quote]Me too.I unloaded that piece of crap(Performa) years ago.I was under the delusion that I was upgrading from my Amiga,Yikes!.They are good for stuff like the internet though.My advice? Get a copy of Win 2K,do a clean install and keep IE 5.0,or get the IEradicator(free IE removal) and get Opera.IE 6 and XP aren't neccessary,2K and IE5 are more than fine for anything.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b]Check out this [url=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=bsbtKC7qCHA.1340%40cpmsftngxa09&rnum=2]reply[/url] straight from the horse's mouth. Sounds like fun :eek: [/b][/quote]You've gotta LOVE Microsoft software. It "just works" - as long as you follow a twenty-two step setup algorithm engineered by an expert that I'll bet is NOT included in the product documentation. :mad: [/b][/quote]Ah yes Dan, I figured you would find this thread sooner or later :D Moi??? Bashing Microsoft??? NOT I... the one that has PROFOUNDLY stood and defended the dirty rotten buzzards! I spent the entire day re-entering software and updating things back to a current status. I'm still having some complications. I got my music software back in but I haven't tried burnig any CD'S yet. I've got to install my Office XP Developer CD set and configure my email client still. That's ALWAYS a bite, but a necessary evil. I won't be able to recieve any emails or edit my site until I have at least Frontpage and Office installed. I won't need to install SQL or some of the others just yet, but just FP and Office are a pain in the arse even when you know what you're doing. It's all about the REGISTRATION process... they won't let you select an entry that says ALREADY REGISTERED!!! :mad: You have to go through the whole stupid long-ended process EVERY TIME you reinstall the programs. Then they assign NEW ID numbers........ Why the hell can't they be like some of the other software providers that keep a log of registered users and store your info. Oh, I know, that's too advanced in technology for THEM to comprehend... RIGHT??? They're evil! :evil: [quote] Now relax, chill out. Put on some Janis, and get yourself a nice big bottle of E.J. You'll feel better in the morning... [/quote]EJ??? BLAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, haven't touched that cheapo stuff since the bursting hangover; that's been quite some time ago. I don't mix liquor of any kind with putting my head into business applications though... I learned a lesson a LONG time ago on that when I fried my multitrack while recording beyond PEAK LEVELS. If I can't afford the good stuff I'll do without. And as far as APPLE products.... ya'll can go bake a pie.... Apple beamed me for over six grand back in the mid 80's.... Left a SOUR taste in my mouth.

All you MacAddicts will like this one. I am an IT administrator at a University. I deal with windows issues all day, every day. :mad: That is why I am going to switch to a mac later this year. :D Especially for my audio stuff at home. I recorded my bands last CD at a studio using a Mac system running MOTU digital performer and I was hooked. I am just tired of all the windoze problems. Bill just needs to do a new OS from scratch and quit building new OS's on top of old problems.

It's amazing how some of you folks can make relatively simple things sooooooo complcated. My mac and my XP machine are running fine, I guess I'm just lucky. :)

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Kevin F: [b]All you MacAddicts will like this one. I am an IT administrator at a University. I deal with windows issues all day, every day. :mad: That is why I am going to switch to a mac later this year. :D Especially for my audio stuff at home. I recorded my bands last CD at a studio using a Mac system running MOTU digital performer and I was hooked. I am just tired of all the windoze problems. Bill just needs to do a new OS from scratch and quit building new OS's on top of old problems.[/b][/quote]When I bought my Apple, Mac's had just been introduced on the market. I also bought Passport Designs Music Software, and a Yamaha Clavinova; I dropped over $9,000.00 to build a setup I had observed while attending a seminar centered on computerized music.... mind you this was in 1986 and in KANSAS CITY! I coordinated the purchases with all the merchants involved while explaining to them what I had seen and the results that I was striving to accomplish. WITH ALL THE DEALERS KNOWING what I wanted they all contributed to the cause. Once I got all the equipment home and hooked up together.................... NOTHING WORKED the way it was supposed to. EVERY merchant involved wanted to pass the buck up to and including turning the problems over to the manufacturers since the subject was far above any of the MERCHANTS comprehensive levels. :rolleyes: Apple Corporation techs were about as clueless as the merchants and you spent two hours on your OWN nickel on the phone every time you called, getting passed to twenty different people to explain your need. They sold me MORE hardware; to no avail and then THEY started blaming the software manufacturer. I searched every University within a 75 mile radius of my home to see in ANY OF THEM offered courses in computerized music. It was either computer, or music, but not computerized music. I was WAY AHEAD of times. After completely getting frustrated with the three Major Players involved, I set everything aside and worked the overtime to pay the equipment off. Once I slowed down on the overtime, I dug in and started reading all of the manuals to find that the Yamaha (Jenkins Music) and the Passport Designs Software (Sound Advice - owned by Jenkins Music) were incompatible in their platforms. It meant either dropping another $3,000 on a keyboard, or spending another $1,000.00 on a different music software program. Yes, I know the final result was not APPLE'S fault... but DAMN their customer support services. Maybe they might have a toll free number by now.... but being bounced around to twenty different techs every time you call before someone can answer one SIMPLE question; it's like talking to lamebrain government agencies.

It is true that in the early days of Mac they pretty much sucked. I worked with some of the old macs in the early to mid '90's and hated them. But now OSX is based on the UNIX operating system, which most servers run on. It is a much more reliable system. I think which ever system you intend to use should be based on what you want to do with it. Here in an academic setting, I will stick with my XP box that I have set up for doing web stuff and IT admin. But for music I would rather have the Mac. It is hard enought to get the users I support to keep up with a Win machine, to have them switch to Mac would be WAY to painful. When I am using a computer, I want to do the work that I am trying to do and not have to worry if all the drivers are right or that I am not going to end up in DLL hell everytime I install a new software package. And that is where most of the problems are.

<> I always set a restore point before installing anything. 99% of the time I don't need, but for that 1% it's a lifesaver. For Windows 98, I use GoBack -- same deal. For Mac problems, I found Rewind, which is similar. I'm really tired of this Mac-Vs.-PC thing -- they both suck, and they're both great. Depends on which version of the software you happen to be using at the time. I find my Mac and Windows XP machines to be equally reliable, or unreliable, depending on the day...when I went to XP, the PC had a slight edge. I really want to go to OS X, but I have neighbors who do professional video work, and while they really like OS X, they are having MAJOR problems going back and forth between software they need that isn't OS X compatible, and OS X programs. So I'm holding off a little longer. Atari rules!!!

Your right Craig. I am holding off on a Mac until the end of the year and Hopefully by then everyone will have released updates to there software packages so you won't have to go back and forth between OS 9 and OSX. :rolleyes: At the University where I work everyone is still using Win2K, XP isn't 'supported' here yet. But since I do my own support I have XP and it is leaps and bounds above the other Win products. The roll back feature is really great to fix whatever all the software packages do to your system. And this brings up another issue. So many software companies say their software is Mac/Win compliant but when you try to install it there is some sort of software/Hardware compatablity issue and it completly screws up your system. For the average user this is a great headache but for someone who works from a computer this costs money and time. Maybe we should hold software makers accountable for some of their less than truthful claims. And before I get flamed I don't mean legimate problems like hardware that was made after a software package was released types of problems but when a manufacture specifically states the system requirements, you meet those requirements, and it still screws up. I think you see more of this with Win machines b/c there are SO many companies releasing software and some just don't have the resources necessary to produce a major product without serious quality issues. :confused: K

I'm sitting here biting my tongue. Ouch! First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Six years at Purdue trying to get a two year degree in Comp. Sci. taught me that. But, that's no help once you've fixed it. Anifa, if ya can backout the upgrade, do so. I'd be surprized if Micro$loth built that into the upgrade though. Second, it will work...someday in the future...maybe...depending on whether M$ thinks it an important enough issue. They are likely to take the viewpoint that [b]not enough net servers & bullitin boards are of the M$ variety[/b] which means they have sworn to run the competition out of business which means that since our forum here, running "ultimatebb", resides on a Linux box probably and since Linux (and all other forms of "X" (Linux, Unix, BSD)) ( :eek: Nested parens!) are the ultimate enemy, they could damned well be purposefully causing glitches in IE 6.nnn. What better way to force a turnover in hosting than to make the competition's hosts "appear" to function incorrectly? (OK, so it is just another conspiracy theory but remember, we are talking about Micro$loth!!!) If I could, I would install Linux on every machine I have to touch and never boot into any other operating system. Can't do that [b]yet[/b] because the audio apps aren't there yet, but they will be!!! For many years the economic engine running this country was the automotive industry. It has slowed and now they are trying to make the high tech (read computers/small individually owned computational devices) the driving engine. It's my opinion that one of the reasons we are undergoing the economic crisis today is a tendency to put all of our economic eggs in one basket. This won't ever work indefinitly. Anifa, back to your situation and in reality it is all of ours as well. Go Linux. I know that sounds like a silly response while you are trying to keep your web business rolling along and you've got an enormous investment already in M$. Depending on how lucrative your business is, I'd jump ship now. No, you can't run audio on Linux but it and Apache are the premier Inet hosts. the web was built on Unix, Billy Gates is a newcomer to the weband his OS wasn't built around networking. Unix was. And what does Linux cost? Zip, nada, zilch!!! Or, you can buy several distributions for $100 and test them all. I couldn't believe it when I read that you'ld just dumped $800 into XP developer. I'm not sure what that is (don't care either as it's M$ related!) but I am guessing that it is development software for the web? Includes Java and lot's of other stuff? Next time strike a blow for freedom and buy a good book on HTML and XML (less than $100) and buy (or download for free) Linux and which will include all that you got in your developer pack and lots more and build a non-proprietary, non-M$ site that you'll have more control over and that will help insure that M$ doesn't take over the world. Just my $.02 worth.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

[quote] I always set a restore point before installing anything. 99% of the time I don't need, but for that 1% it's a lifesaver. For Windows 98, I use GoBack -- same deal. [/quote]Craig, Thanks! I've already reformatted my hard drive this time and I'm in living hell trying to get everything back up to snuff. I'll certainly make note of this and keep it for future reference. [quote] I couldn't believe it when I read that you'ld just dumped $800 into XP developer. I'm not sure what that is (don't care either as it's M$ related!) but I am guessing that it is development software for the web? Includes Java and lot's of other stuff? Next time strike a blow for freedom and buy a good book on HTML and XML (less than $100) and buy (or download for free) Linux and which will include all that you got in your developer pack and lots more and build a non-proprietary, non-M$ site that you'll have more control over and that will help insure that M$ doesn't take over the world. Just my $.02 worth. [/quote]Wrave, I've invested some major dough into web developing and graphics design programs with the intention of opening up a section in my site where I will host (sublet) artist and expert engineer profiles and products for a fee. I've been in the process of checking out payment processing services so to allow clients means of secure transactions and also I've been trying to develop a rate scedule for my services . Although I am not currently rolling in the cash, the potential is definitely there. When I run into snares like this one though.......... GAWD, it makes me think twice. Of course, if I had the cash rolling in to support this project... I wouldn't be operating on with a dinosaur processor and upgrades; I'd keep current with technology at all times. However, when building a business from scratch, you do what you've gotta do and hope for the best. Maybe I'll get REAL lucky and some artist will like my songwriting style and take me back to where my heart really is.... MUSIC.

Archived