Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cakewalk tech support stinks

My hope is that Cakewalk employees will read this. Yeah, I'm the guy whose been bitching about Sonar's track view and again .. thanx to all who answered me. Most of you are very happy with it and don't seem to really know what I'm talking about, and that's fine. I don't need anyone to agree with me and I don't need to be right. Barring any more suggestions you may have for me the issue is closed in this forum. Cakewalk tech support has ALWAYS been excellent to me, until now. I sent several emails to Cakewalk tech support about this and they responded with bullshit, patronizing answers that made it obvious they weren't really listening to me. Telling me to read the manual (which I've done twice now) and reminding me that I can change the heading info order in the .ini file (something I don't care about whatsoever), assures me that they didn't READ my questions and that they'd rather receive all praise and no criticism. No, I don't need them to recall Sonar and redesign it to my liking. But some kind of acknowledgement would have been fine. And just maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised with version 4.0. I guess no one is allowed to even question the almighty Sonar. Good work Cakewalk, you've got yourself a real CORPORATE attitude now.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now if you let us know what's your question... Craig is a Sonar User... so do I... and many others... !

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Well, I've always gotten good results from Cakewalk tech support, even when they didn't know it was me. Most of the time when I do reviews I'll make up some question and do an anonymous call to the tech support people just to see what happens. I think the problem in your case is that Cakewalk's tech support is just that - you need to have a problem that requires a solution. Also, remember that music software companies are SMALL. All of them try to fit tech support into a "cookie cutter" approach because that's the only way to take care of everyone. For example, if you say "I get pops and clicks in my audio" that's an ideal question from a tech support standpoint, because the problem is going to be one of several known things. If you say you don't like the track layout, there's not much they can do except say "sorry, maybe you don't quite get it so try again." What I have found is most companies do keep track of comments and they are reviewed when coming up with new revs. I appreciate that you didn't get the personalized attention that would happen in an ideal world, but these companies simply aren't big enough to do that. And by the way, this is another reason why piracy stinks: it reduces the amount of resources available to take care of *legitimate* users.

What tech support? Cakewalk support is mostly worthless. Anything that isn't on their script "must be your video card". They are mostly staffed by kids who barely know the product much less computers in general. I talked to one guy that didn't know what a Celeron was. I've even had their senior techs like Adam Birch give technically illogical answers just to blow mw off. They consistently won't answer emails. Email them something with a simple answer and you may get an answer. Email an issue that may require any degree of troubleshooting and you are likely not to be answered at all. They are incompetent and have no pride in their work. (Just my experiences)

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: ...They consistently won't answer emails...[/quote]I got this too... Several e-mails about some issues and concerns over why something was left out of Sonar...(it was more than a simple "Duh...I get no sound." kinda' question)... ...and they just blew me off. I kinda' expected it because it was the kind of question that would have to be answered by a "policy making authority"...and I don't think those guys/gals or manning the tech support lines. :D Not a real big deal for me...life moves on... ...but it does help paint a specific picture.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I've got a wierd issue now but I know better than to call Cakewalk. My patch list windows no longer open. I can go through the patches using the + and - keys but the window that shows all the patch namse no longer opens on my studio desktop. Works as usual on my laptop. I've done a full uninstall and reinstall but no change. It's a shame the company takes no responsibility for such matters. When you spend hundreds of dollars on a product and you can't get support it encourages piracy.

I usually try not to bother tech support unless it is real serious like "MY SYSTEM WON'T BOOT after installing your software". If you cry wolf too often without reading the instruction manual their response time will get worse and worse. Also in writing a review, I feel that I must try every possible thing to make it work ON MY OWN. I don't want to ask questions without even reading the instruction manual, but often I will jump right in without reading a manual just to see how "USER FRIENDLY" the software really is. Since my reviews for the RSP and Sonar are moving to the top of the search engines, I have been pleasantly surprised to learn that a few bug issues which I mentioned in Sonar 2.0 have been resolved in Sonar 2.1. Maybe we will be all surprised to learn that they do care at [b]Twelve Tone Systems[/b]. Dan http://musicinit.com/roland_index.html That reminds me. Time to update my Sonar review.

Archived