Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ensoniq ESQ1 Keyboard Problem

Spankyw2

Hi people I am a drummer but I like keeping equipment here at my house for jamming like my Fender Stratocaster, and a KAWAI FS650, and I will be buying a bass, very soon. But anyway I just got a Ensoniq ESQ1 Synth. And I like this this thing it is in good shape, the only problem is that some of the keys, when you press them will not work until you let up off of them and press again. But everything else seems to be in order. And that is good for a 1986 board. But doe's anybody know what this problem could be. I like this board good enough to put in the shop if I have to. :(:mad::confused::cry::confused:
Lewis Williams

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lewis, welcome to the forum.

Prague means that the keyboard is limited to playing only 24 notes at one time. Are you hitting 24 or more notes at one time? If so, once you get past 24, the others won't sound.

I doubt this is what's happening. However, I don't have a clue as to what the problem could be. Could you give us a few more details please?

By the way, resetting the machine was a good idea. Which notes, specifically, are the ones giving you problems. Are they the same ones each time?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi,

Actually the ESQ-1 was 8 voice polyphony. If this is happening on the same keys all of the time and you know that it is not a situation of exceeding the polyphony, it is probably dirty contacts.

The ESQ-1 is not that hard to open up. PLEASE DISCONNECT THE A/C LINE BEFORE DOING THIS. Just four allen head screws one at each corner of the front panel. Lift the front panel up from each side of the front edge closest to the keyboard.

Then there is a row of screws under the bottom of the case that holds down the keyboard assembly. Be careful when disconnecting the ribbon cable and other cables required when removing the keyboard assembly. Once the keyboard is out of the case, turn it over and you will see the key contacts. Clean these with alcohol and cotton swab being extremely careful not to bend the contacts or leave bits of cotton stuck in between the contacts. Put it all back together and hopefully you will be good to go.

Or you could just pay a tech to do the job and save the hassle.

Good luck!

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Yes - what was I thinking? 8-note polyphony is what you've got there.

Dirt? Yup. Could very well be.

By all means unplug the beast if you decide to take a screwdriver to it. When you open it up, leave the vacuum cleaner in your closet and instead, use a can of compressed air to blow away the dust, dirt, cat hair, roaches, empty beer cans, etc.

I've worked on one of these beasts. I think that the problem I encountered was bent contacts. So even though it probably IS dirt, check around to be sure that all the key contacts look like they're in the proper position. What is the proper position? One that looks like all the others (for the keys that DO work.)

Once you clean it up and check for loose wires, dust bunnies, and aliens from Saturn's moon, (they're ORANGE - you can't miss 'em), put the cover on, plug it in and try it out.

If it doesn't work, you can buy a service manual online and repair it yourself. However, I'd recommend taking it to a bonafide repair shop. It'll probably cost you more than it's worth to fix it. But, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that all 8 notes of polyphony are coming your way without having to hit the keys twice.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thank you. You guys are great. I thought about dirty contacts too. But I said let me ask you guys what you think it is first. I have already took a look inside the top when I got it. And can air dusted it out. I should be able to do it myself. I mean I do most of all my own computer work. So this should not be to hard. I just hope that dirty contacs is the problem. If not I will when I can pay for it put it in the shop. Because I would like it for the rehearsals at my house. And even though I am a drummer and play a little guitar. I have fell in love with this keyboard for some reason. Get this fixed and all I have to do is find me a used double rack, for the KAWAI FS650 and the ESQ 1.

I also downloaded Cake Walk, today I have to learn how it works. But anyway you guys have been great. Tomorrow evening, I will clean them.So the screws on the bottom is what is holding the keyboard. I don't like the idea of turning it over, but it has to be done. And I will post back and let you guys know how it went.

Lewis Williams

Hi people. Well I got the thing apart, and yes it was dirty in there. Just went out and got some Q Tips, had to take a vac to the inside of the case. And I have the key assembly on the table and I will can air it first. But what I want to know is the black bands on the keys underside, do they get wiped off too ? If so I can see that I would have to be real careful with them, and the little bars that the bands touch when you press them I can see that they are dirty and some of them has a little oxidation on them. But I really want to know about the bands before I do anything. Thank you, very much. You all have been a great help.
Lewis Williams

Archived