Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New tiny mac

zeronyne

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dabowsa:

how about getting a dvd writer instead of the dvd-rom?

Sure, no problem. I'd tell you the upcharge, but the Apple store is down right now...probably getting swamped.

"For instance" is not proof.

Wait, this is a computer, not a DVD player without knobs? :) For how much?

Hmmm, maybe someone should send Moog Music an email with the picture attached and the 499.00 price tag before they set the price of their new rack! But then, they might charge 500 bucks more for the knobs, :) OK, I'll get off the Moog slams on the apple thread. I've just been having so many laughs lobbing grenades at Moog for outrages prices, I can't stop. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The RAM, though! another 500 bucks or proprietary RAM to get to 1 gb!

Hopefully, that will change quickly.

Where did you read this? I never buy RAM through Apple. Proprietary RAM is pretty rare.

Busch.

It's standard DDR333 SDRAM. Same as the Powerbooks.

Busch.

1GB RAM upgrade is $425 and the SuperDrive upgrade is $100. By the time you add all the tricks, like integrated Wifi and Bluetooth, a standard Apple mouse and keyboard and the larger hard drive, you're up to over $1300 and you still haven't got a display.

Oh, wait a minute... That's cheap for a Mac, ain't it!?

r33k

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The RAM, though! another 500 bucks or proprietary RAM to get to 1 gb!

Hopefully, that will change quickly.

Where did you read this? I never buy RAM through Apple. Proprietary RAM is pretty rare.

Busch.

It's standard DDR333 SDRAM. Same as the Powerbooks.

Busch.

My bad...the site was down...relying on someone else's info.

Originally posted by Michael Erwin:

1GB RAM upgrade is $425 and the SuperDrive upgrade is $100. By the time you add all the tricks, like integrated Wifi and Bluetooth, a standard Apple mouse and keyboard and the larger hard drive, you're up to over $1300 and you still haven't got a display.

Oh, wait a minute... That's cheap for a Mac, ain't it!?

Sure you could buy everything from Apple and really load it up, but the point is that for the first time Apple has given us a barebones Mac for $500. So buy the computer for $499 from Apple. Instead of upgrading the HD, apply the money to a much larger external Firewire. RAM can be had $150 - $200 cheaper elsewhere. Buy $20 USB keyboard and $20 USB mouse. Pretty much any display should work. Don't buy the frills. If you want all the Apple frills, one of their other offerings probably makes more sense.

Busch.

Originally posted by dabowsa:

a long time windows/linux "power" user, I borrowed my friends powerbook g4 to make a "My First Year DVD" of my daughter.

what a delightful computing experience - iMovie + iDVD made the whole process easy and fun.

Welcome to the LIGHT!!!

:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Rabid:

I like this direction and I am tempted to pick one up. For music purposes I wish it came with an option for a faster processor. Not sure how this would do runnng the Logic 7 package.

Robert

You might not need LP 7. THe new Garageband (which is included with the mini Mac) now includes:

Notation

Freeze

Ability to create loops

Record 8 tracks at once

Import MIDI

Import ACID loops

And a bunch more. BTW, it also has scaled down versions of the LP software instruments plus AU support.

Busch.

Originally posted by Michael Erwin:

1GB RAM upgrade is $425

I just added 1 GB of memory to my PowerMac for $240 (2 x 512 MB memory modules @ $120 each). That's not an internet discount price, that's at the local Mac dealer down the street from me.

Of course if I wanted to exaggerate the cost of a PC it would be easy enough to add up the highest possible price I could pay for every component to come up with a $1300 computer that didn't include a screen or much of anything else.

Hey, I'm just telling you what the Apple store was quoting for a pre-configured system. Even with all the tricks, it's still cheaper than any Mac in history with all the tricks. I'm not a Mac user, and frankly didn't know that they no longer had proprietary memory, keyboards, mice and displays. That's a good thing. I'm glad they finally jumped on the PC bandwagon in that respect.

r33k

Nice cupcake; no calories! :D

Looks like a great machine to use for a Logic Node.

Not sure how this would do running the Logic 7 package.
This should run Logic 7 fine. The track and plug-in count won't be as robust as a G5, but there is the freeze function, off-line bouncing, etc., so working shouldn't be a problem for modest sessions.

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

I want one.... but I'd like to know more about the RAM issue. It may be standard RAM (which you can get a 1GB stick for about $200) but the real question is "If I install my own RAM will it void my warranty and how do I open that case?"

$425 for a RAM upgrade is just too much. Add it together and I can get a basic G5 desktop for only a little bit more...

Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Originally posted by Roger Hooper:

Nice cupcake; no calories! :D

Looks like a great machine to use for a Logic Node.

Except no gigabit ethernet, which I believe is a requirement. :(

The obviously don't want power users or professionals buying this thing. It's aimed squarely at at home user/recent iPod recipient, for which 256 or 512MB (a $75 dollar uptick) is plenty of RAM, and for whom GB Ethernet would be useless.

r33k

Well that's cool as hell.

Except the RAM thing..."must be installed by an approved Apple service center" or something like that. And it only goes to 1GB. For a "second" MAC in the house, this is nice. But for music, etc. its just too underpowered.

I guess if you were running massive sample libraries, it could possibly be that "second machine" with the RAM maxed. Who knows.

I like the idea of the new iPods...except for the fact that you CAN'T CHOOSE THE SONG YOU WANT...

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

The RAM concerns are definitely important to consider.

My fantasy though, is that with this box, a backpack (with Keyboard and Mouse), and an LCD display, I have access to a fairly portable 8 track recording solution (of course, with an 8-in Firewire interface and GarageBand).

SoundEngine.com: Vintage Synths, Accordions, Organs, and Ambient Sound FX

http://www.soundengine.com/

Archived