Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pipedream: S76es wishlist

zeronyne

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES! Thank you! I was thinking about doing the same thing. And you even added my requested octave +/- buttons! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm still thinking if there are any other missed requirements in the design. I'll let you know and maybe Yamaha is gathering requirements as well! :D The only other thing that would make it just a tad more enjoyable would be a larger LCD screen with a little tilt...like a slightly larger version of the Motif ES screen.

Thanks again zeronyne! You rock! :thu:

Regards,

Eric

(moved from the hijacked Alesis thread)

Okay, how often do you play the five notes above the highest G? How about the seven notes below the lowest E? C'mon - tell the truth.... ;)

E-G is the totally the way to go. :thu:

dB

I've waited for such an instrument for so long, I've even become very elastic in my expectations, as long as it does come out. The non-existence of a good, lightweight 76-or-so-key controller is affecting my career choices. Really.

The only three features which I would really need would be:

- Fully weighted keys.

- Good MIDI master functions. Even if it's only a controller, or a digital piano.

- Not heavier than 14-15 kgs. Casio is making *good* digital pianos, 88-note with full weighted keys, at 12 kgs. There's no excuse anymore.

Give me those three things, and I'll buy it. NOW.

Anyway before becoming a grandfather, I hope.

Originally posted by dB:

Okay, how often do you play the five notes above the highest G? How about the seven notes below the lowest E? C'mon - tell the truth....

Hmmm...well, I do play the low A fairly often... I actually have a couple of Performance splits set up where I have an octave-switched sound in the bottom half and another sound in the top half. I am using the low A to play a sound that is actually 1-2 octaves higher and I find it is helpful to know that I am getting a low A when I slam my fingers down there without looking. I do not use the high notes quite as much.

I suppose I could easily acclimate to the E-G configuration.

I'm not as concerned about outer reaches in terms of an actual low A or high C...but I thought it would be cool to maintain the look and feel of the piano keyboard minus one octave. Might be easier from a manufacturing standpoint too. Sawzall only needed on one side of the S90 chassis to chop off the bottom octave. ;)

Regards,

Eric

I don't know how many others would use it this way, but I really could use space for a laptop. In the current mock up you've got about 8" on the right and 5.5" on the left of open space. The smallest laptops are 10"-11". I could use it as shown (overhang a bit on the right), but it would be nice to concentrate the open space as much as possible. The current Yamaha Motif/S90 lines are ideal for velcroing on a laptop.

Don't redraw anything on my account. Just inputting how I would use it.

Busch.

Do you really want to give up the master volume fader for a drawbar? Better to have 9 dedicated drawbar/controller faders(100mm better with a cap to grab onto) along with software that lets you select/invert the direction of the value. And while we're playing here, add on a second independent midi output(I know - you cant read the labels anyway).

Originally posted by eric:

Hmmm...well, I do play the low A fairly often... I actually have a couple of Performance splits set up where I have an octave-switched sound in the bottom half and another sound in the top half. I am using the low A to play a sound that is actually 1-2 octaves higher and I find it is helpful to know that I am getting a low A when I slam my fingers down there without looking. I do not use the high notes quite as much.

Ahhh...I hadn't taken the spilt keyboard thing into account...it's not one of the things I really do a lot; and, when I do, it's usually a bass in the left hand so low E works perfectly for me. :thu:

I've tried splitting the keyboard and using two different transposed keyboard sounds "side by side". It weirds me out too much to have two instruments play in the wrong registers on a single keybed.

dB

zeronyne is keeping up well with all the scope creep. Now we have it with A-C and E-G configuration.

I have a couple more enhancements:

1) Make the LCD larger with an embedded tilt like the ES series.

2) Add one additional slider (for pseudo drawbar control) and make all the sliders more raised and robust like the ES series.

3) To satisfy Busch's need for space (good suggestion), bump all the UI as far to the left (basically put all the slider stuff on top of the Yamaha logo) and leave the right panel side clean. I think this would be nice to have the patch buttons closer to my left hand.

4) A 2nd and maybe even a 3rd MIDI out would be great, but not really something you could give us on this image...but you could grab the photo of the back panel and have some fun with it! :D

Back Panel

5) While we are on the back panel, I want Stereo A/D inputs and some more outputs.

Thanks!

Eric

but I thought it would be cool to maintain the look and feel of the piano keyboard minus one octave.
Funny, nobody notices my A-C keyboard has only 76 keys until I tell them.

I don't know how many others would use it this way, but I really could use space for a laptop. In the current mock up you've got about 8" on the right and 5.5" on the left of open space. The smallest laptops are 10"-11". I could use it as shown (overhang a bit on the right), but it would be nice to concentrate the open space as much as possible. The current Yamaha Motif/S90 lines are ideal for velcroing on a laptop.

Don't redraw anything on my account. Just inputting how I would use it.

Busch.

That same space could also be used for a two octave synth action controller.

And while we're playing here, add on a second independent midi output(I know - you cant read the labels anyway).
:D .But seriously, I like the idea of two MIDI inputs (A La Proteus 2000), for a MIDI pedalboard and a small synth action controller at the same time.

OK, now we're getting into my territory (my day job, when I'm not doing multimedia/web/music, is doing user interface design).

I know we're just having fun with this, but Yamaha would never pull their display off center. So the only way to free up more concentrated real estate would be to move the non-patch buttons on the right and move them to the left of the display.

However, this breaks every Yamaha interface convention that they have.

I also doubt that they would put in a ninth slider just for drawbar simulation, but that is more likely than the LCD move.

At any rate...added drawbar, tilted and increase LCD: http://rhee.net/LDLD/s76es5.jpg

"For instance" is not proof.

zeronyne, thank you for continuing to humor us. Once again, you are totally blowing me away with your talents! BTW, thanks again for the killer avatar you Delivered me some time ago. I still love it!

I totally agree with your comments about the UI and standards. The extra sliders are probably a stretch, any way you slice it. I would be totally content with the basic 4 sliders like the other products have. ES knobs is a bonus.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

I know we're just having fun with this, but Yamaha would never pull their display off center.

What about the S03? I know that is kind of a "starter" synth, but it has an off-center display:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/KeyboardsDMI/Product/Main/S03.gif

Regards,

Eric

Ok, this was originally posted in the Alesis thread...

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Hmmm. Which octave would you short? Or would you make it like the Electro 61 with a quick octave shift button?

I personally like the E-G because I find that the keys outside that range are the very ones that I don't in fact use on a 88-key board. But that's just me.

--Dave

IMHO an Electro-style quick octave shift button would be the ticket. If you want a performance synth, E-G is a great range; if you want to compete with digital pianos A-C would be better. Personally, I think I´d prefer A-C for the reason of piano layout; I don´t use the five notes G-C a lot, but I do use the bass register quite a lot. If I were to play for instance "Ain´t Nobody", I´d have to play the entire riff an octave up, meaning less space for splits upwards... If the range was A-C, I could access the bass register easily, and if I wanted the upper keys, there would be a button for it! Just my .02... :cool:

Ahhh...I hadn't taken the spilt keyboard thing into account...it's not one of the things I really do a lot; and, when I do, it's usually a bass in the left hand so low E works perfectly for me.
Don't you wish you had that low B for your bass lines? Five string bass guitars are becoming very popular and I still can play two notes lower than that.

Originally posted by konaboy:

All well and good, but if the quest is compact portability and lightweight then I suggest that it should look more like this:

http://pianodude.com/images/gaz76.jpg

Fantastic - *now* it's really mouthwatering for me. What about a merging MIDI in? :D

Originally posted by eric:

What about the S03? I know that is kind of a "starter" synth, but it has an off-center display:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Images/KeyboardsDMI/Product/Main/S03.gif

Eric, does the S03 have a sequencer? I think it's a matter of workflow. But I have no insight into the minds of the Yamaha engineers...I imagine the less expensive the box, the more concern for just getting everything in there as inexpensively as possible.

And the squashed keyboard is a fine idea, but it precludes the use of even the faders that are on the S90...don't you want a little more throw on those sliders? I also don't think the narrow profile would fit in with the product line. Now if it was a P120es....

"For instance" is not proof.

0-9, you rule! :D

I'm with dB -- I almost never use the lowest or the highest keys on my 88. I've never really spent much time on a "standard" E-G 'board, but I don't think it would bother me that the bottom and top weren't A and C. I don't really use the ends of the keybed to find my place anyway.

But really I'm with Carlo -- just make the damn thing and I'll buy it! :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

GREAT! But I don't know how anyone ever spotted an octave up/down key. Perhaps because I'm not familiar with the original Yamaha keyboard. Would you please show a blowup of each panel?

Please consider a compromise on the keyboard range: LOW C. When playing piano parts, I want that low C a lot. I've never used keys below it. And I'd sacrifice upper keys for it in a heartbeat. It would mean I'd only use the octave up/down key very rarely, whereas (with a low-E 76-key board) I have to use it frequently.

Note that ending on a white key would make it a 77-key board. So, I vote for the S77!

The keyboard would still end above where a Hammond organ keyboard ends ©. When playing Hammond, I have a few keys above that mapped to control functions like drive and percussion, but I'd be willing to sacrifice that.

What are the things above the faders? I think I see pots, but also something else, not sure what.

There should be function buttons below the faders, mappable to on/off MIDI controllers.

"I almost never use the lowest or the highest keys on my 88"

"Southside of the Sky" will work the grime off those nether regions. I can't play it for sh*t, but its a good excuse to keep the 88 key tradition.

That and 8 is a good luck number in Chinese. Two eights is even better.

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

Read my post again, zeronine. I never said C-C.

(Great avatar pic, btw. Is that you? OK, just kidding.)

The 77 key board would be C-E.

Or just go for 80 keys, from C-G. That would still be a great roadworthy package, and would mean a lot less punching of the octave shift button.

How much would this thing cost btw?

My vote goes for A-C. So many times I need notes below the E, at least D and C.

So is this what we've got now?

- 76 hammer-action keys from A-C (or E-G)

- Motif ES sounds

- 3 (?) PLG slots

- 8 sliders, 8 knobs, ribbon, pitch & mod wheels, octave +/- buttons

- Master mode of Motif/S90

- 2 midi outs

- 4 analog outputs, digital (s/pdif) i/o

- lightweight (??)

I'd also like to see a better Remote Control mode. Presets for different programs and modes like found in DAW controllers. Or is there something like this already in Motif ES I haven't seen yet?

:idea::rolleyes:

Oh and are you Yamaha guys reading this???

My vote goes for A-C. So many times I need notes below the E, at least D and C.
I agree about D and C, but do you really need B and below? I find few pianos where those notes even sound good. Heck, they even usually sound terrible on 5- and 6- string basses (good bass players know better than to use them much).

I'm curious why there's so little support for a keyboard starting at C.

I'm used to E-G from my Yamaha CP70 and Ensoniq MR76. But I think that the only problem I'd have with a 77-key C-E board would be missing the high F & G for playing boogie-woogie in G. And I'd get over it, just like I can now play in A or C and get by. (With the C-E board, I'd lose that width for G but gain it for C and D. Well, I play more G than C and D combined, but I'd still prefer the lower keyboard.)

Archived