Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John's Midi Piano

DBG53

I recently view Elton Johns new DVD box set and noticed the Yamaha 9 had midi, which leads to question of what is the sound source for the acoustic piano sounds. Does anyone out there know what is the sound source for the acoustic piano sounds?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DBG53:

I recently view Elton Johns new DVD box set and noticed the Yamaha 9 had midi, which leads to question of what is the sound source for the acoustic piano sounds. Does anyone out there know what is the sound source for the acoustic piano sounds?

It might be one of those Disklavier pianos, a real piano that has midi. So it could actually be simply a normal grand piano sound. I think Eltons piano sound does sound rather digital though these days... almost like a P120 or something. He played the Roland RD1000 for quite sometime so perhaps he aint a purist..

Originally posted by orangefunk:

I think Eltons piano sound does sound rather digital though these days...

If you want to clone your PM3, it's the Rock piano with concert hall reverb: depth 96, delay 21, time 3.32, send->60. Plus chor/flanger: depth 127, Par 1: 25, Par 2: 0, send ->48.

!

don't thank me. ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Elton has a number of different pianos he plays. Back when the Electric Grand was popular, he had a WHITE one on a TV program one night. I had never seen a white one before, I'm sure that's what it was. When you have more money than you know what to do with, you don't give it all to world hunger. If I wasn't "poor" I'd have a lot more KB's too, and a larger house to put them in.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey Sue:

"Interesting" settings for your Promega.

Quote:

------------------------------

If you want to clone your PM3, it's the Rock piano with concert hall reverb: depth 96, delay 21, time 3.32, send->60. Plus chor/flanger: depth 127, Par 1: 25, Par 2: 0, send ->48.

Lets see, "concert hall reverb: depth 96"

"chor/flanger: depth 127"

You don't think that "Might" be a "Little" to much "concert hall" reverb and a "Little" too much Chor/Flanger?

Typically, you only use that much effects processing on sounds that really need to be buried. What gives?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Hey Sue:

"Interesting" settings for your Promega.

Quote:

Lets see, "concert hall reverb: depth 96"

"chor/flanger: depth 127"

You don't think that "Might" be a "Little" to much "concert hall" reverb and a "Little" too much Chor/Flanger?

Typically, you only use that much effects processing on sounds that really need to be buried. What gives?

Mike T.

that's just the mix, then you decide how much of it you want to use. Kind of like a recipe, ya know?

It's brittle actually. In fact, it sounds dreadful. Mind you, might have something to do with the fact that I'm not EJ.

And I never knew until this moment what an MKS was! Maybe it sounded dreadful too.

I screwed up the EQ. I'll fix that.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Phil:

Quite true my friend. I did take notice to the Send setting. The settings all just seemed so high to me, and I can't resist a chance to rip on Sue whenever I get the chance. I'm not a big fan of reverb to begin with, but I do tend to get carried away with Chorus at times.

I'm surprised your politically uncorrect statement about Sue didn't get you a dose of her chagrin. But I guess that would be biting the technical hand that feeds her. :)

Rock on,

Mike T.

Archived