Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P250 tips?

Dave Horne

I've been playing around with my P250 and started thinking about how to make it easier to work with on jobs.

I've created a handful of 'Performances' (Yamaha's term for a saved 'split' or 'layered' sounds.

For the Left side of the split, I would layer the Chorus El Piano and Strings together and for the Main (Right) side I would use various 'solo' instruments - Vibes, Harmonica (from the XG set), Guitar, Flute (from the XG set) and so forth.

In order to access those saved Performances, you have to first press the Performance button and then the assigned button to call up what you've saved.

If you want to go back to the Grand Piano 1 sound (bread and butter sound), you have to exit the Performance mode and then press the button for Grand Piano 1, correct? Well, what I did was to save the basic Grand Piano 1 sound as a Performance and placed in along with my other saved Performances. I also saved the ' chorused Rhodes' as a Performance as well. Now I have all of the sounds I use on jobs in one 'area' ... the Performance area, this saves on button pushing.

I have also learned that doing a 'Set' (Yamaha's term for Save) doesn't permanently save the changes you've made when tweaking your Performance, you have to press the Perform File button and call up the Performance (or Save to Memory) parameter to permanently save your tweaks.

There seems to be an error in the Owner's Manual ... or perhaps I don't understand it correctly. Under 'Other Settings' you have the option to change the function of the Song Balance slider. With all of my 'splits' saved in Performance, I really like to adjust the balance of the Left and Main voices using that slider. The manual states that the SongBalanceAssign is a performance parameter, but it is not an option in the editing parameters of the Performance mode. On page 31 under OtherSetting, it shows the word 'partial' which I assume means that not all of the listed parameters are really Performance parameters. At any rate, I would love to assign various functions of that slider to various saved Performances. Consider this a suggestion.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC, I tried to do this on my P200. I wasn't able to. I learned something in the original key, but it was 1 1/2 steps above our vocalist, hence the edit. I ended up re-learning the song in the new key.

I, too, will save single programs in mix/perf mode just to cut down on the myriad of moves my hands and fingers have to make to change sounds.

Jay

You can not transpose one patch without involving another. You can transpose a 'song' without involving the 'keyboard', so the short answer is, no.

The above information is not correct. You can edit each Performance to be in whatever 'key' you want. We can thank Neil for posting the correct information.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

The manual states that the SongBalanceAssign is a performance parameter, but it is not an option in the editing parameters of the Performance mode.

Dave,

Did you try to go into Other Settings, edit the slider to dual balance and save the performance?

I can't tell if this works because my P250 is locked away in my home studio, and can't be accessed until.... you no longer use that line on me :)

-neil

Tips on Moving/Merging Recorded Tracks

Scenario #1 -

Copying from Track 1 to Track n (n=2-->16)

Let's say that you recorded a part on Track 1 and you want to move it to track 4.

1) Plug both ends of your midi cable into the P250's midi-in & midi-out jacks

2) Set the Host Select switch (rear of unit) to the Midi position.

3)Set Local Off

[Your keyboard playing should be echoed back to the tone generator through the cable]

4) Set MidiOut Select to Song

5) Set MidiInChannel Ch1 to Keyboard

6) Hit Record/Channel 4 to enter standy

7) Hit record a second time to start recrding on track 4 what you are looping back from track 1.

8) Delete Track 1 and your'e good to go.

--

Scenario #2

Merging three recorded tracks -

You recorded multiple drum parts on tracks #1, #2, and #3, and you want to merge them to track #10.

Steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 are as above.

5) Set MidiIn Channels #1,#2and #3 to Keyboard

6) Hit Record/Channel #10 to enter standby

7) Hit Record again

8) Delete unwanted tracks.

---

Ain't it amazing what you can do with these midi cables?

-neil

Originally posted by c4:

can you transpose say a piano and save it as a performance without it globally transposing all of your presets? Ex. transpose up a halp step for one patch without the rest of your patches transposing?

Yes you can. When you are in peformance mode, each performance button (there are two banks of sixteen) wil invoke a complete setup including a unique keyboard transpose parameter that can be set to plus or minus 12 semitones. For example, you can configure 25 performance buttons, each set up to invoke Grand Piano 1 at a different offset. To revert back to your normal presets, you toggle out of performance mode, [you can't change the voice assignments while you are in performance mode] and access your presets as normal. Piece of cake.

As Dave has pointed out, the P250's performance features - (up to 135 performnace files, each with 32 performances can created) - provide a very useful tool for both studio work and live venues.

-neil

Neil, I tried your suggestion and edited the SongBalanceAssign Slider to the function I wanted and then resaved each Performance one at a time. The setting sticks. Thanks!

(It appears I gave inaccurate advice regarding transposing a voice. I thought Transposing was a global function in the P250 but it appears you can edit to your heart's content. I just now edited one Performance to play another key and it worked. I would advise naming that Performance with in a way that informs you of the 'key' you're in.)

Archived