Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha VL-1 drive

marino

Folks, I have a small problem: The floppy disk drive on my Yamaha VL-1m (rack version) has died a sudden death today. I haven't opened up the instrument yet (it's racked in a kind of akward position). I've heard that Yamaha does not use standard PC drives - can anyone enlighen me? Maybe it's best to just take the instrument to the service?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't know about the vl-1m, but i'm pretty sure people have replaced the floppies on their EX5's with standard ones and sometimes even zip drives.

hopefully ski will see this post. i think he's pretty up on that stuff.

i didn't know the vl-1 also came as a module - nice.

Thanks Mildbill. Actually, I may be wrong, but I believe the rack version (VL-1m) has a couple of features that the keyboard version doesn't have, because they designed a later update which only applied to the rack. Strange, but that's what I'm told.

Carlo, I've never replaced the disk drive on mine, but is sure seems as though it's a stock floppy drive. I'd definately open it up and give it a try.

Here's to you hoping that your LCD doesn't fail as mine did. That was $300 to fix and according to the guy who did it I got the last one in stock at Yamaha USA. That's not to say there aren't mroe out there, but there will come a time.

Busch.

Busch, thanks for your reply - I'll open the VL tomorrow and check.

About the display, despite the many hours I've spent at the instrument, mine still seems in excellent conditions. I've replaced the backlights on a few of my instruments with new ones from backlight.co.uk, a British company... You can purchase just the backlight screen from them, instead than the whole display. I hope this will be possible for the VL1 as well, when the time comes.

Hi Carlo,

I don't know how accessable the drive is on the VL-1, but the drive on my Yamaha SY77 was not working when I bought the synth (used). I opened the synth to find that the disk drive belt was slipping on the drive pulley when trying to read the disk. I cleaned the belt and all pulleys with alcohol and...surpise, surprise... the drive worked after that!

Hopefully a similar cleaning will fix your floppy as well.

Carlo, I'm 99% positive that it is a standard drive, but be sure to measure the depth of it before purchasing a replacement...a few of my floppy drives are more compact than the standard ones depth-wise.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived