Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clavinet Samples

Jabbe

I'm wondering if there's a killer sample library for Clav D6 samples. The best (and most playable) clav's I've heard are in the Nord Electro, but since I already have a Motif ES and Lounge Lizard for rhodes&wurly and the NI B4 for hammond, only vintage key I'd need from Electro is the clav. I don't like the Motif's samples so much.

Another thing, I've heard there's a clav library coming from Scarbee. I don't own RSP73 or WEP, but I'm very interested in RSP. There's going to be a Vintage Key bundle from Scarbee, right? Would it be worth the wait to get that (also the RSP and WEP then) or should I just get some other clav library?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are interested in RSP, then I'd wait for the full set (if you have the patience). I think the clav will be fabulous.

But the Scarbee clav was announced long time ago, I don't know what is taking so long. I hope he didn't loose his data or something.

Funny, everyone raves about the Electro clavs, but I'm still using the clavs in my RD-700. They work pretty good for me.

Perhaps I just haven't spent enough time with the Electro's clavs. They do have a bunch of controls that emulate the real thing, and I've never actually played a real clav! :eek: So maybe I should spend some time working that out.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Perhaps I just haven't spent enough time with the Electro's clavs. They do have a bunch of controls that emulate the real thing, and I've never actually played a real clav! :eek:

That's the thing - if you've never played the real thing then it's hard to distinguish what sounds authentic and what sounds "close enough", and maybe it doesn't matter either way.

If you've owned clavs, then you have a different frame of reference and are a harsher critic when you can't recapture the sound and vibe that you once knew.

I've owned several clavs, and the Electro sounds the best of anything I've heard (I don't use soft synths or computer based samplers, so can't comment on those).

The things the Electro does NOT capture, are the incredible fast action, great touch sensitivity and fabulous dynamic range of the real thing. Also, the cool feedback effects you can get playing through a loud amp.

I guess I'd also include the incredibly loud annoying pops you get when the pads get grooved, except that's a GOOD thing to be missing!

Moe

---

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

How picky are you?

Really picky. :D Not really... it doesn't have to be 100% authentic, that ain't going to happen anyway. What I care about is if it does it for me or not. Electro surely does, I can get some kick-ass funk out of it, but not from the Motif. Motif is a bit too plastic and doesn't have the release sound of a real clav.

Of course, one thing that could help would be a wahwah pedal. Autowahs & filters are usually just jokes, they sound really horrible most of the time. Although Electro has good wahs too. What's the best wah pedal (for guitar) that I should get and use with Motif's clav pathces? Crybaby, Vox, Morley..?

All the examples you mention should work well. At one point, the Vox WAS the Crybaby, so I don't know if they are different these days or not. The Crybaby would be the default to go to.

Morleys used to be popular also because they had a cleaner, wider sweep - kinda more hi fi which some keyboard players appreciate.

Moe

---

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by fisheye:

If you are interested in RSP, then I'd wait for the full set (if you have the patience). I think the clav will be fabulous.

But the Scarbee clav was announced long time ago, I don't know what is taking so long. I hope he didn't loose his data or something.

Hi Fishey,

Just came back from NAMM with jet-lag and all...

But we demoed the Vintage Keyboard Collection and the Vintage keyboard FX there. Its will be released in march. We had 4 clav sounds up and running: BOTH (DB), LOWER (CA), UPPER (CB) and BOTH Muted (DB Muted).

Stevie Wonder came by and played RSP73, WEP and all the clavs - he also tried the C-Filter which is a plugin that models the Clav filter/EQ switches 100%. With this you can make any clav sound possible. (cool to hear him play Superstition and Higher Ground (with wah from VKFX)!!

Check out the specs at www.scarbee.com about clav.

PS. The reason it took so long to do clav was the fact that this is the most difficult task so far for me. It had a lot of "secrets" I had to reveal - but I think I finally nailed it - but you must be the judge of that. Anyway I love this old lady!! :)

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Sample Library Producer, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com

Originally posted by Scarbee:

Stevie Wonder came by and played RSP73, WEP and all the clavs - he also tried the C-Filter which is a plugin that models the Clav filter/EQ switches 100%. With this you can make any clav sound possible. (cool to hear him play Superstition and Higher Ground (with wah from VKFX)!!

Nice to hear from you, Scarbee. Very cool that Stevie Wonder played it!

I noticed on your forum that you will have a nice crossgrade for owners of RSP and WEP, so I'll keep you on that one. :) But as a pianist, I first have to get better piano software and a better amp, so it will take a while before my pay-check leaves any room for the clav. :(

Originally posted by Scarbee:

Originally posted by fisheye:

Stevie Wonder came by and played RSP73, WEP and all the clavs - he also tried the C-Filter which is a plugin that models the Clav filter/EQ switches 100%. With this you can make any clav sound possible. (cool to hear him play Superstition and Higher Ground (with wah from VKFX)!´

Nice! But you didn't say if he liked it or not... well, did he? :D

Originally posted by Jabbe:

QUOTE]Nice! But you didn't say if he liked it or not... well, did he? :D

It wasn't a spontanious visit as Stevie had planned to check it out before comming to NAMM.

His manager already checked it out early in the day to be sure it was interesting and worth a test.

The good thing (for me as a developer) was the fact that Stevie did not just do a "performance" to show off - but rather carefully examined all the sounds of the keyboards. He clearly knew what to look for wheter it was a rhodes, Wurly or clav sound. Fortunately I made sure all these tiny detalis where there to find - as on clav sounds you could find all the release noises, the off-strike hammer hits, the simulated treble-string dynamics and sound-change etc.

So I guess he was happy. So lets see if he will actually play it - I hope so, and believe so, but it would be embarrasing for me to announce it if the truth was that he wasn't! ;)

Stevie is one of my top idols - both as a player, singer, songwriter and human being.

One of the finest men ever born on this planet, so it is almost impossible for me to believe he actually tried my sounds...

Already when i did RSP73 I wish he someday would hear about it - but I learned from asking around that it would be very hard getting in contact with him. He would have to find you. Fortunately he did.. :)

:)

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Sample Library Producer, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com

I agree with you about Stevie. I was working the Playboy Club in LA in the early 80's and was in the restroom takin' a leak and I look over and Stevie was standing next to me. ( I should have looked down) After we left, we talked for a while and he ended up coming on stage and doing 45 mins singing and playing the grand by himself. Tough act to follow. "Let's hear it for Stevie and now back to Linwood "..... He was the nicest guy. I'm still waiting for Time 2 Love

Archived