Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying CDs Is Like Russian Roulette

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Joachim P. Dyndale: [b]Prog: So you think David Gilmour is better than Roger Waters, but you think Roger contributed more to Pink Floyd?[/b][/quote]I'm not answering for him, but his post was pretty clear- he think's there is no better guitar player than Gilmour stylistically-not that he's better than Waters- Waters plays bass-, yet he thinks Waters was more important to the band as a songwriter.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

I use to buy records based on the LP cover. In 1969 I bought a recording by a band called Allpaloosa. It had a very interesting mixture of instruments. http://www.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,44482,00.html

Just goes to show how little I know about Pink Floyd. I've hear some of their stuff, I've liked most of what I've heard, but it's not been like "Man, I've just GOT to hear a lot more of these guys!". Maybe I should give them another chance... :) Really emberassing though, 'cause I should've known more about Roger Waters and Pink Floyd in general. Pop/rock history is important stuff... I've had it at school even! I should read that book we used some time then ;) .

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

[quote]Originally posted by progfusion74: [b]I am in the Roger is the most important member of Pink Floyd camp. .[/b][/quote]I'm with you on that :) This doesn't change the facts that : [b]1.[/b] Syd was replaced by Gilmour because drugs had made him a mental midget. [b]2.[/b] [b]Roger quit the band[/b] because of the growing tension between him and the other three members, [b]AND[/b] his disdain for playing large venues, and the resulting feeling of being 'detached' from the audience. I have a bootleg of the last show of the Animals tour where he stops in the middle of Pigs on the Wing and chastised the audience for making too much noise. I don't blame Gilmour, Wright and Mason for deciding to continue their lives work. I think it's unfair to expect them to quit just because [b]Waters Quit[/b].
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Well I find a lot of Roger's later stuff overbearing and hard to listen to. For me it starts with some of the stuff on The Wall, and don't even get me started on The Final Cut :eek: Ouch! To me that whiny melancholic style is extremely grating. Syd was the primary songwriter and driving force behind The Pink Floyd. Yes, he started to have problems, but rather than help him sort them out they sent him packing. I think it was the dollar signs they were seeing. I still like a lot of their later stuff, but you can infer that they still felt guilty given how many later songs could be interpreted to be about Syd. Let's not forget Richard Wright. He was also royally screwed by Roger.

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b] [quote]Originally posted by progfusion74: [b]I am in the Roger is the most important member of Pink Floyd camp. .[/b][/quote]I'm with you on that :) This doesn't change the facts that : [b]1.[/b] Syd was replaced by Gilmour because drugs had made him a mental midget. [b]2.[/b] [b]Roger quit the band[/b] because of the growing tension between him and the other three members, [b]AND[/b] his disdain for playing large venues, and the resulting feeling of being 'detached' from the audience. I have a bootleg of the last show of the Animals tour where he stops in the middle of Pigs on the Wing and chastised the audience for making too much noise. I don't blame Gilmour, Wright and Mason for deciding to continue their lives work. I think it's unfair to expect them to quit just because [b]Waters Quit[/b].[/b][/quote]I read something more to the effect that Waters wanted to fire them, but who the hell knows? Fuck 'em, their albums are brimming with filler anyway, and they bought up all of the good LOMO mics, the jerk offs. :p

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Archived