Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying CDs Is Like Russian Roulette

I don't know if any of you folks have this problem (probably not) but it seems like i only end up liking maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 cds i buy. Even stuff that should be good- i can name about 3 jeff beck albums that actually get under my skin. Some pink floyd i just can't follow along with, like SaucerFul of Secrets. And of course, i've totally given up on buying anything that's *new*. Too much one-songitis. I don't know... i don't blame jeff beck or pink floyd because i don't like some of thier stuff. I realise it's me and i guess i'm hard to please. But sheesh.... how many of you folks walk into a used record shop with a box full of cds to sell on a regular basis?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]I don't know if any of you folks have this problem (probably not) but it seems like i only end up liking maybe 1 in 10 or 1 in 15 cds i buy. Even stuff that should be good- i can name about 3 jeff beck albums that actually get under my skin. Some pink floyd i just can't follow along with, like SaucerFul of Secrets. And of course, i've totally given up on buying anything that's *new*. Too much one-songitis. I don't know... i don't blame jeff beck or pink floyd because i don't like some of thier stuff. I realise it's me and i guess i'm hard to please. But sheesh.... how many of you folks walk into a used record shop with a box full of cds to sell on a regular basis?[/b][/quote]Nah, it's more like going to the movies, except you have a hard copy that you can listen to as much as you want to, or sell.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]<> yeah and for many guys, if they're lucky, maybe 1 in 15 girls they meet will sleep with them...BUT... kinda makes you appreciate that one a little more don't it? -d. gauss[/b][/quote]Hey, that's a pretty good ratio. Lemme see...12 million people in this city, so figger half of 'em are female, so that's six million...that's about 400,000...whewwwwweeee. Gotta go.

Well.....maybe it's not like Russian Roulette. Cause with Russian Roulette, if you lose, you shoot yourself in the head. It's pretty hard to kill yourself with a bad CD, or a good CD for that matter. It can be done, but it aint' easy. :D

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

I'd love to know the ratio of "new" CDs bought (say, less than a year old) vs. older CDs and re-issues. I'm not talking about buying used CDs, just not new releases. Does this info exist? I wonder because new CDs are more of a lottery and I'm guessing that over the years, people have started buying more and more older albums?
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I have the luxury of being able to listen to the CDs before I buy them. On several occasions I've been at the record store and listened to a couple of albums, this has taken about 1 1/2 hours, and then I've decided I didn't really like them and gone home. If I'm curious about an artist I might go to the record store to listen, but lately I've been buying more online. I found this AMAZING online music/DVD/games store at [url=http://www.play.com]www.play.com[/url] . It's a UK store. They're REALLY cheap, and they DON'T CHARGE FOR SHIPPING!!! So I've been buying quite a lot from them. If I'm gonna buy a CD by an artist I really haven't heard much about, then I might download the album in mp3 format from Kazaa or something, listen to it, and if I like it go over to the aforementioned web site and buy it(We've had a huge discussion about downloading mp3's, so please don't turn this into a thread like that). Sometimes an artist I really like releases a new CD and I just go and buy it, 'cause I "know it's gotta be good". If I feel that the album wasn't so good after all, I usually listen to it a lot for a period of time just to see if I can "learn to like it". I have quite a few CDs that were real disappointments when I listened to them for the first time, but that I really love now. You never know. Give the disappointing albums a chance to "settle in"... :thu: A summary: I hardly ever buy a CD I don't know that I'll like, or that I don't end up liking after some time. Maybe I'm just very lucky?

-Joachim Dyndale

--------------------

Einstein: The difference between genius and stupidity is: Genius has limits

My Blog...

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver Bleeds Green: [b]The first real Pink Floyd album was Meddle. That's according to DG hisself.[/b][/quote]Who the fuck is the second guitarist to decide when the "first real pink floyd album" was made? That guy is such a prick- I can't believe that he was able to usurp the "Pink Floyd" name. I do like his guitar playing; I'm not totally dissing the guy, I just think that Roger Waters got really screwed.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

LOL, I knew I'd bring a Sid Barret fan out of the woodwork with that one! Well, I dunno if DG stole the name or inherited it, but there were two other [i]original[/i] members involved in that lawsuit too. To hear RR and NM talk, Rog was a world class jerk towards the end. Dave is the only one who doesn't trash Waters publically. Anyhow, the paraphrase I mentioned, David meant that Meddle was the first album that the final full incarnation of PF(with Roger) really came together for. All he was saying was that the previous albums he was involved in didn't really have the character that the later ones did. Besides, the whole band kicked Sid out because he was whacked. They brought Dave in, who was a friend of the band, because Sid couldn't even play the guitar coherently at the shows anymore. Well, they didn't really tell him he was out, they just forgot to pick him up for a gig, and kept forgetting. :D
I really don't know what to put here.

Hmmm, considering most of my CDs are in fact burned/bought concerts and the like, I pretty much like them all. The CDs I don't like, I'll take a bunch of them over and trade them for something I will like. I'm a big stickler for buying up used CDs when I can, so I get some pretty good stuff I've been jonesing for for a while. Anywho, to sum up, I really don't buy CDs that I know I won't like. An example, any new band that pops up from MTV. I won't even listen to it. Not once. Of course, there are old people that I won't listen to at all, too, such as Bruce Springsteen. He sucks in my opinion, and is therefore the boss of suckiness. But that's me... Therefore, no crap CDs for me.

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] I just think that Roger Waters got really screwed.[/b][/quote]How? By quitting?[/b][/quote]Yeah, they came up with that name collectively. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. And they were originally The Pink Floyd Sound, after several names before that. They then shortened it to just PF. It's a hit or miss, but I'd say he wasn't planning on doing anything with the name anyway...he just wanted to gripe and get money. Silly British people :D .

[quote]Originally posted by patrick_dont_fret: [b] [quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b] [quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] I just think that Roger Waters got really screwed.[/b][/quote]How? By quitting?[/b][/quote]Yeah, they came up with that name collectively. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. And they were originally The Pink Floyd Sound, after several names before that. They then shortened it to just PF. It's a hit or miss, but I'd say he wasn't planning on doing anything with the name anyway...he just wanted to gripe and get money. Silly British people :D .[/b][/quote]Yes, but I think GT's point was that Gilmore wasn't in the band when they came up with the name.
I really don't know what to put here.

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]That guy is such a prick- I can't believe that he was able to usurp the "Pink Floyd" name.[/b][/quote]Why is he a prick, what prick-like thing has he done? Why should a band consisting of DG, Rick Wright and Nick Mason, performing music DG wrote that is trippy in the vein of all other PF recordings, NOT call themselves "Pink Floyd"? [b]dissing the guy, I just think that Roger Waters got really screwed.[/b] How? By trying to commandeer the group in the face of the rest of the group's wishes? DG got screwed; buy a new copy of _The Wall_ and the largest print you see inside there is "written by Roger Waters" - *in part* - but that's enough to foist a riculous jihad of anti-DG people into thinking Waters had some sort of overwhelming direction on the group... Listen to PF pre-Gilmour - *with* RG... Listen to PF post-Gilmour - *with* RG... Who had the most impact on the direction of the group...?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver Bleeds Green: [b]Yes, but I think GT's point was that Gilmore wasn't in the band when they came up with the name.[/b][/quote]Michael Jordan wasn't in the Bulls when they were named, either - but who is the most importan Chicago Bull of all time? For that matter, that would make Keith Moon the most important member of Led Zeppelin.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sylver Bleeds Green: [b]The first real Pink Floyd album was Meddle. That's according to DG hisself.[/b][/quote]Who the fuck is the second guitarist to decide when the "first real pink floyd album" was made? That guy is such a prick- I can't believe that he was able to usurp the "Pink Floyd" name. I do like his guitar playing; I'm not totally dissing the guy, I just think that Roger Waters got really screwed.[/b][/quote]Syd Barrett is who really got screwed. I like Piper at the Gates of Dawn the best myself.

[quote]Originally posted by Salonymous: [b]Syd Barrett is who really got screwed. .[/b][/quote]How? By doing so much acid that he would stand on stage in a catatonic state strumming one chord over and over. I believe it may have been Dm. The saddest of all chords. :eek:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

"Well.....maybe it's not like Russian Roulette. Cause with Russian Roulette, if you lose, you shoot yourself in the head. It's pretty hard to kill yourself with a bad CD, or a good CD for that matter. It can be done, but it aint' easy." You CAN be killed by a CD. It's just a long SLOW death. Pink and Avril kill me a little more every day when my neighbors have to "Jam." John (Sk8ter Boi) Brown

Yeah, there's nothing worse than getting a CD full of filler. Luckily, the two CDs I got for X-mass are both great; Cheryl Crow and George Harrison's newest ones. As far as the band name argument goes; I'm starting a new band and we're calling ourselves 'The Beatles.' Hey, they're not using it anymore... :p

I found the new George Harrison CD to be dissapointingly bland and lame. What a bummer :( I think the best last thing he did may have been that track on the Jools Holland CD "Horse to Water" or something like that.. Man, you'd think a dying man of such talent would come up with something bold and interesting at least? I wonder how much of it was destroyed in the post production?

I am in the Roger is the most important member of Pink Floyd camp. When I heard Momentary lapse of reason, I had no idea who Roger Waters was and that he had left, but I knew it was the first Pink Flord album I did not like, and the one after that was even worse. I like Roger's solo stuff and the "in the flesh" tour was great. More music, less lights. Anyway, I have about 450 CDs and listen to about 350 on a regular basis. Happens that everything by Pink Floyd (other than the post-waters stuff) is still there. I still think there is no guitar player who sounds better than David Gilmour, or sends a shiver (a good one) down my spine whenever he bends one of those notes.

Archived