Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard

Ski     1642606170

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sergievsky:

You're already complaining about something on the new Poly Evolver KB? There's a number of us that have been chomping at the bit for one and now you want to start bitching that it "looks heavy" because it has wood panel on the sides? If it had plastic sides you'd be bitchin' that it looked cheesy. Put a lid on it!!! :mad:

Does anyone know any of the specs, how many voices and what the MAP price is going to be on it?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Not a complaint...ummm, an "observation". Trying to think if I buy one in LA, how I'm gonna haul it with me through the rest of our 9 city tour of the US. It's not really a big budget world tour (it counts as part of my luggage!) I still gotta go shopping for other gadgets too ya know! But if I have to wear just one underwear throughout the entire month (how else to fit my clothes in one handcarry?) just to be able to buy this badass board...I will! :D
Raul

Sergievsky:

That's more like it! One set of underwear so you can carry the KB POLY, now THAT's GAS. :) My compliments. Ahh.....bring a lot of deodorant, along with your American Express. :D

My favorite local dealer is going to NAMM. I'm going to ask him to look up Dave Bryce to see about a dealership. Yes, there is a God. My Christmas is already merry. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Congratulations Dave S. and Dave B. !! :D

great timing btw, it comes like a christmas present. it looks beautiful. design is fantastic, there's defintely something from the famous predecessors. like a blue Prophet 5 but with more knobs!!

dB, please do let us know soon as more tech details/price are known, or this will probably have to wait till NAMM..

i'm always extatic to see a new product that combines imo three magic ingredients: real analog - keyboard - polyphony. oh and wooden ends, we can't have a polyphonic without wooden ends!! :D:D

Originally posted by mooghead:

We'll have to see the specs...but between the Virus TI and this one, I think the Evolver Keyboard has an edge.

now that is a certified nonsense - why in the world would you compare these two. its apples and oranges. completely different products , aimed at different type of user, and each ingenious in its own right.
http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Originally posted by clusterchord:

dB, please do let us know soon as more tech details/price are known, or this will probably have to wait till NAMM..

It's basically a Poly Evolver with keys, so it's a four voice. We wanted it to be a five voice ( ;) ), but it just didn't work out; however, because multiple units can be MIDI and audio chained, one can basically have as many voices of Evolver as one wants.

We're shooting for a street price of as close to $2k as possible - that's the main reason it's a four-voice. Because each voice is essentially a discrete Evolver, making it an eight voice would have cost about the same as one keyboard and a module, so it seemed to make sense to leave folks the option of getting as much (or as little) polyphony as they want.

How do you guys like the look?

dB

DSI

Dave:

It looks great! Seems like all the posts that a number of us exchanged with you a few months ago have come to realization. WOW. This announcement has made my Christmas! Now I don't have to deal with getting a separate controller. 2K street price would be great too, it should sell. When do you think they'll start to ship? I want one. :)

Happy Holidays Dave!

Mike T.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

When do you think they'll start to ship?

Spring '05. It's basically done - we just need to build 'em.

Mine is actually supposed to show up here later today... :D

(ducks and runs)

dB

DSI

Originally posted by mooghead:

We'll have to see the specs...but between the Virus TI and this one, I think the Evolver Keyboard has an edge.

now that is a certified nonsense - why in the world would you compare these two. its apples and oranges. completely different products , aimed at different type of user, and each ingenious in its own right.[/QB]
Thank you for the kind remark.

I agree that they are different products for their sound...but before knowing the specs and its price I sincerely think that's it's inadeguate to call "certified nonsense" the idea of a comparison between the two.

If it had been 16 voices poly and still was in the 3000 area it would have been compared to Virus like the Andromeda has been. The bottom line for Virus-Andromeda always was: "different beasts", but still there were knowledgeable people to discuss the comparison.

Your comment is pretty superb from a mr. No-one...you could have said "apples and oranges", that'an opinion. "Certified nonsense" is a stupid ego coming out.

Originally posted by clusterchord:

hope you'll post some impressions of the UI and all, once you dig into it. ;)

Definitely; however, I consulted on the UI with Dave, so I imagine things will be where I expect them to be... :D

That being said, it's one thing to to talk about a UI, and another thing to program with it. I'm way psyched to take this bad boy for a test drive... :cool::cool::cool:

Originally posted by Synthmatic:

Dave are the wheels the same as the ones on the MMVoyager?

Yep. :thu:

dB

DSI

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

It's basically a Poly Evolver with keys, so it's a four voice. (snip) How do you guys like the look?

I beg to differ dB - the poly evolver only has 3 knobs and 11 buttons - this new machine has TONS more controls, which will make it much more fun and easier to twiddle with :thu:

It looks great, nay, fantastic!! If I have one tiny criticism, it's that it looks like it is too deep to fit easily on the top tier of a stack of keys. With it on the bottom tier, the knobs/buttons are going to tend to be hidden by the keys above it. Thus, it's going to have to have its own separate stand - it probably deserves to be shown off anyway!

However, this may limit its live use somewhat. An improvement to this would be to make the control panel more vertical to make the back-to-front depth less, allowing it to sit on the top tier of a stack. This is a minor nit though, I'm still in to buy one just like it is! Have you started a list yet? Where/when can we place our orders? :)

:DTR

AWESOME!

I am always looking for a new synth in my rig and this could be the next one! It looks great.

I am curious about the keyboard action. What is the source of the keyboard? Is it a Yamaha FS type or Fatar or something new? It looks pretty robust in the photo. Does it have aftertouch?

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

If I have one tiny criticism, it's that it looks like it is too deep to fit easily on the top tier of a stack of keys. With it on the bottom tier, the knobs/buttons are going to tend to be hidden by the keys above it. Thus, it's going to have to have its own separate stand - it probably deserves to be shown off anyway!

It looks less deep than an Andromeda, which actually sits nicely on the upper tier of many stands, so it should work fine. But I agree with you, if you put anything above it, it will hide access to a lot of the knobs....my only wish is that DSI will also come out with a table-top model, with plenty of knobs, about the size of an Access Virus. Or maybe an Evolver Mk 2 with more knobbage and better ability to control a rackmount PolyEvolver. I already have enough keybeds, I don't want to start doing a Rick Wakeman and surround myself! But DAMN this thing looks beautiful......!!!!!!!!

Is anyone here controlling a rackPoly with an Evolver?? Happy with that setup?

Archived