Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

want to get hard again...

daBowsa

Ugh, sorry about that subject line.

actually i'm not. :D

So I'm thinking about selling my copies of B4, Lounge Lizard, my Indigo, UC16 and KP200S to help finance a purchase of an Electro 73 and something like those ProMedia 2.1's people are raving about (mostly I like the price).

I love my KP200S - its a wonderful piece of gear, but it sits in the corner on volume 2 and keeps asking me when I'm going to have these loud practice sessions or medium sized gigs with no PA.

At this stage in my life, practices are few and far between. And when they happen, there's bound to be a sleeping baby somewhere nearby. And the bands I gig with are smart enough to not take gigs that don't provide sound.

5 years ago I was asking if we'd get paid more money if we ran board ourselves. Now we'd rather hire a guy out of our own pockets to not have to deal with lugging speakers, amps, mixers, cables, mics, etc.

I just feel like the KP200S is a little too rock 'n roll for me. Its overkill for my situation. So is bringing a laptop, MIDI control surface, and all the associated cables, adapters, and power supplies.

I really appreciate the "plug 'n play" aspect of hardware synths - low hastle, fast setup. I really do love my KP200S, but can't afford to have it sitting. And the Electro is sweeeeet...this is an upgrade, right? Or no?

Help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben,

I will be the first to tell you that the Electro is my favorite piece of gear and I think you would love it for many reasons...lightweight, loaded with all the core vintage sounds that a keyboard player needs, killer Leslie simulator, etc. I think it would be a lot less hassle than using a laptop on the gig for those same sounds.

However, I think you may want to think twice about ditching the KP200s. If you do want to sell it, reach out to me via PM and I may be interested. Once you get an Electro, you will want to hear it in stereo and the KP is a great amp. I don't know much about the Klipsch speakers and how they compare in size, weight, gear-fuss time and price to the KP, but the KP is a solid integrated solution.

Regards,

Eric

Is anyone using the Native Instruments B4D drawbar controller with their Nord Electro?

One of the things I haven't liked about Nord Electro is punching up and down buttons to adjust drawbar settings. Then I heard that you can use the Native Instruments drawbar controller with it - sounded intriguing.

Felix - you can also use the Voce MIDI Drawbar if you're lucky enough to find one.

Eric - I agree the KP is a great all-in-one solution. Tons of inputs and stereo DI functionality built-in.

I really enjoy playing B4 and Lounge Lizard, they sound great...but sometimes it can feel a little too sterile. I definitely get inspiration from the sound being generated, but every time I play around on an Electro, I'm just blown away about how "1-to-1" it feels. The effects section and various knobies just puts it over the top.

Eric, I seem to remember you saying that the piano isn't as bad as people make it out to be for live/practice situations. Do you still feel this way?

Actually Dabowsa, I can't picture a hulking althlete packing anything quite so dainty as the Klipsch. But what the heck, I know what you mean about setting the volume on 2. It's a waste. It's one of the things I don't get about keyboard amps. If you turn it up loud enough to piss off the neighbours or please the guy at the back, what does that do for your own ears? Forget it as a handy PA. As a personal monitor, I can see it... if you can stand it. (wink)

Fortunately, if you're seriously considering the 2.1 and putting them on the Klipsch stands, the stands that I rec'd are slightly different. They have a 3 foot flat-to-the-floor base. Definitely more to my taste than the arched industrial art model shown on the website.

happy to answer any further questions.

I love my KP200S - its a wonderful piece of gear, but it sits in the corner on volume 2 and keeps asking me when I'm going to have these loud practice sessions or medium sized gigs with no PA.

At this stage in my life, practices are few and far between. And when they happen, there's bound to be a sleeping baby somewhere nearby. And the bands I gig with are smart enough to not take gigs that don't provide sound.

5 years ago I was asking if we'd get paid more money if we ran board ourselves. Now we'd rather hire a guy out of our own pockets to not have to deal with lugging speakers, amps, mixers, cables, mics, etc.

I just feel like the KP200S is a little too rock 'n roll for me.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by gangsu:

Actually Dabowsa, I can't picture a hulking althlete packing anything quite so dainty as the Klipsch.

In his best Al Bundy ("Married with Children") voice:

Yeah, did I ever tell you I played high school football?

:D

gangsu, I'm assuming the 2.1's are loud enough to be my "amp" for a reasonable-volumed practice scenario...is that accurate?

Originally posted by dabowsa:

Yeah, did I ever tell you I played high school football?

easy Dabowsa your making me nervous :D

gangsu, I'm assuming the 2.1's are loud enough to be my "amp" for a reasonable-volumed practice scenario...is that accurate?
you can get UNreasonable volume out of these things if you choose. You can wake up every kid on the block if you want to. What's that song I was playing the other day, I could literally feel the pain.

I don't know how keyboards vary in terms of signal strength or whatever it's called. Might that be an issue? The reason I wonder - I plugged them into a clavinova recently, and a vocal quartet about 10-15' away used them to monitor me. That particular piano has it's built-in speakers facing the piano player -- now there's a dumb idea if I ever heard one, unless you like playing with your face up against a wall? -- anyway I found that the levels were very different. In order to crank up the Klipsch to a decent level, I had to have my master volume set a little too high for my own comfort.

generally speaking, I'll have the master volume on the pM3 set to about 75%, and the Klipsch around 50%. Settings other than "piano" may vary.

does that make sense or matter? Just thought I'd throw it in. :)

Like Eric I have the Electro+KP200s combo and think it is a good match.

If I were you I wouldn't sell the KP200s to get the Kliptsch. The KP-200s will be worth the same thing it is today ten years from now. Or possibly more as the market starts to figure out exactly what it is. The Kliptsch being basically a plastic consumer audio product are more or less worthless used.

I have stated elsewhere that the problems with the Electro pianos are overrated and mainly have to do with people A/Bing them against samples that have reverb built in. Built in reverb is not a good thing IMO because it takes away your choices. I'm not saying that you should buy the Electro for the piano, just that the piano on it is passable and is far better than anything we dreamed of, say, ten years ago.

Originally posted by bartolomeo:

If I were you I wouldn't sell the KP200s to get the Kliptsch.

I'm not. I'm selling the KP to get an Electro. Its a financing issue. I never bring the KP out of the house. It sits.

I agree it'll hold its value.

I have stated elsewhere that the problems with the Electro pianos are overrated and mainly have to do with people A/Bing them against samples that have reverb built in.

So the Electro pianos don't have reverb? I agree that's a good thing.

I'm not saying that you should buy the Electro for the piano, just that the piano on it is passable and is far better than anything we dreamed of, say, ten years ago.

I use Alesis QS pianos live, so I'm far from a piano snob.

The Kliptsch being basically a plastic consumer audio product are more or less worthless used

why would you say that? It's like so irritating! :freak: If you're gonna go around being judgemental (like uhum I am), at least give yourself a friendlier avatar or something. It's Christmas fer cyrin out loud!

There is no plastic on the klipsch other than the satellite grills. The grills are covered in polyester. Oh no! What do you want, perforated steel plates? Good grief.

A 2.1 owner would never be looking to sell, since your'e never going to listen to your crappy downloaded mp3's in better form. Take that, ye traditionalists.

BAH HUMBUG :D

Originally posted by gangsu:

There is no plastic on the klipsch other than the satellite grills.

That's not true. The satellite is housed in plastic. I never realized it til I tapped on it, and thought about it. My apologies to Bartolomeo and anyone else I've mislead.

Archived