Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what tune(s) are you currently working on?

Dave Horne

I just added six more tunes to my own personal fake book. (The book is up 259 tunes.) Out of the six tunes tunes that were just added, How Deep Is The Ocean is worth looking at. I Get Along Without You Very Well has made a come back with a little help from Diana Krall. So what have you guys been working on?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Heaven", by Los Lonely Boys, good practice on my new Nord Electro!

"Roll with the Changes", Oreo Speedcookie. The organ solo was pretty basic but that piano riff was more of a challenge for a hack like me.

"Rough Boy", ZZ Top. :bor::bor::bor:

"Christmastime is Here", Vince Guaraldi. Wanted to have this up enough to play at Christmastime, missed it again this year (I'm not a sightreader, so learning a piece of sheetmusic is a major challenge for me).

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Tune to learn: I Hear A Rhapsody. Who knows what else I'll work on over winter break? (answer: big band arrangements)

Classical repertoire: Beethoven - Sonata Pathetique, mvts 2 (and 3, maybe?); Bach - Prelude II from Well Tempered Clavier bk 1, Invention #8.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I've got a binder with about 100 tunes in it for vocal students in the music festival I haven't opened, but I suppose I will, over the holidays. Everything from the simplest french folk song to Italian opera to current pop stuff which i appreciate as it keeps me kind of up to date.

Christmas music coming out of my ears, but that's more a matter of organizing.

Waiting for repertoire decisions to be made re several recitals in the new year. Probably will include a Grieg violin sonata, a Beethoven cello sonata, and the Poulenc sextet.

Dave, did you mean to list "I Get Alone", or "I Get Along"?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Max Reger's "Virgin Slumber Song" - gotta play it on the 25th. I'll probably dumb it down (don't tell Jay & Bart, LOL). Also a big splashy self-arranged version of "Of the Father's Love Begotten" - that's gotta be done by the 24th. And I've got this in-my-head version of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" superimposed over "Serenade to a Cuckoo" - anyone know if that's been done already? It seems so obvious - anyhow, I'd like to get a recording done to pass out at Christmas, but only a few days to work on it.

In the studio, I'm working up a scratch track of my own setting of "Come, Labor On" - my version sounds nothing like the original hymn: more like something from Deliverance, LOL. Anyhow, some bluegrass pals of mine have agreed to give it a try if I cut a scratch track for them. THAT can go after Christmas, though.

Choir's working on the Sans Day Carol and a Benedictine setting of the Christmas Martyrology (this version KILLS - arr. J. Michael Thompson, available from World Library Press). Two more rehearsals to get that right.

And, for secular stuff, I'm supposed to be getting some Jean-Luc Ponty ready - title escapes me for now - and Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio". Band's been way on the back burner the last couple of months.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

In the studio...

A pop treatment of Bach's Passacaglia (sans fugue)in C minor, and a switched-on arrangement of Faure's "In Paradisum" from the Requiem (with vocoder choir).

Also working on a cover of "Not Fade Away" with two guys I used to play with on the road. We pass the tracks back and forth until the three of us declare it done. The results of this project have been encouraging.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Good Thread Dave. After so many years off the KB, I've been practicing tunes I use to be able to play, as well as working on a Chopin song I always liked.

For good practice....Toccata, by Pietro Paradies, a great song on piano, also sounds neat on organ.

Polonaises...(Militarie) Chopin, Op 40, #1. Its easier to play than to read.

Some old Billy Joel tunes, like Rosalinda's eyes. Another early one called "James", nice Rhodes piano parts and a nice tune to sing. I use to play it as a dedication to my brother, James.

Trying my hand at Bruce Hornsby again, chops still not up to speed, what else is new. Something to use as a goal. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm working on resurrecting the dead. The posts on correcting the C-real book (mine is 5th ed.) got me going through it playing all the standards, and I just got a Hal Leonard Jazz Standards fake book and am starting to go through it, too. I'm trying to bring all the old tunes back. It's fun. Otherwise it's the usual Chopin waltz in C#m, all the moonlight sonata, some Bach, and some rags [mainly working on Scott Joplin's "Solace" lately].
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Originally posted by gangsu:

I've got a binder with about 100 tunes in it for vocal students in the music festival I haven't opened, but I suppose I will, over the holidays. Everything from the simplest french folk song to Italian opera to current pop stuff which i appreciate as it keeps me kind of up to date.

Christmas music coming out of my ears, but that's more a matter of organizing.

Waiting for repertoire decisions to be made re several recitals in the new year. Probably will include a Grieg violin sonata, a Beethoven cello sonata, and the Poulenc sextet.

Dave, did you mean to list "I Get Alone", or "I Get Along"?

Thanks, I went back and corrected my initial post - I Get _Along_ Without You Very Well.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Max Reger's "Virgin Slumber Song" - gotta play it on the 25th.
That brings back memories, not that specific piece but Max Reger in general. I was an organ major in college and had a bunch of his stuff for organ. Interesting stuff, he did nice reharmonizations of things (though I can't remember anything at the moment).

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Thanks, I went back and corrected my initial post - I Get _Along_ Without You Very Well.

Hah, I wasn't sure if it was a clever title or a misprint. Thanks.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Max Reger's "Virgin Slumber Song" - gotta play it on the 25th.
That brings back memories, not that specific piece but Max Reger in general. I was an organ major in college and had a bunch of his stuff for organ. Interesting stuff, he did nice reharmonizations of things (though I can't remember anything at the moment).
And that reminds me of a piece of Reger's I used to perform, the Introduction and Passacaglia in D minor. Massive, frightening.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Archived