Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Organ Keyboard/Drawbar Controller from Doepfer

daBowsa

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The November issue of Keyboard mentioned that Fatar/Studiologic have something similar on the drawing board aimed at use with NI's B4 or similar, and Hammond-Suzuki have finally announced their lower keyboard to go with the XK-3 and they have it set up in a traditional Hammond furniture style wooden casing and make a stand to match (this info was posted either here or at harmony-central keyboard forum a few days ago).

Keys: Hammond SK2, Hammond SK1, Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Waldorf STVC

Amplification: Line6 L3T, Yamaha DBR-10, Presonus Air 10, Leslie 122V

I just wish someone would make motorized drawbars. Doepfer says they'd use 'em if any were available, but no luck.

What would you pay extra to push a preset button and see the drawbars jump into place? Frankly, that's worth $100 extra to me (and I'm a big cheapskate!) When playing the drawbars, I'd rather have them start from where they really are, rather than the lesser of the typical two evils (no change until the drawbar "catches up" with the current setting, or worse, immediate change as you move it, causing a big jump in the sound.)

OK, sorry, rant over!

Originally posted by learjeff:

I just wish someone would make motorized drawbars. Doepfer says they'd use 'em if any were available, but no luck.

What would you pay extra to push a preset button and see the drawbars jump into place? Frankly, that's worth $100 extra to me (and I'm a big cheapskate!) When playing the drawbars, I'd rather have them start from where they really are, rather than the lesser of the typical two evils (no change until the drawbar "catches up" with the current setting, or worse, immediate change as you move it, causing a big jump in the sound.)

OK, sorry, rant over!

Yes indeed - this would be wonderful. Wish my VK8 had motorized drawbars.

$300 waterfall controller, huh? sweet. d3c seems a bit pricey, though?

Waiting on the pedals, though - that's what I need for the VK-8!!!

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Yo! learjeff, and Byrdman.....

Please clue me in here, guys.

As someone who's been manipulating drawbars seemingly forever,

I don't get where you're coming from in your pining for

motorized drawbars. :confused:

Not knocking the concept or your desire for them,

but even after reading this thread several times,

I sincerely wonder why you find them to be desirable.

Would they have some useful advantage, say,

with softwear, MIDI, or just what?

Or would it simply be the thrill of seeing them

move all by themselves ?

Or.....??? :):cool::idea:

Same here. Why use motorized drawbars? Instead, why don't they put in two sets of drawbars per manual, as the real thing has. So you can set up your sound with one set, while playing on the other.

I still opt for the JL-Cooper CS-32: 32 faders, lots of knobs in a very little package.

If you use organ presets in addition to pulling drawbrs, it's nice to have the drawbars match the current registration.

OTOH, on the B3, you can't change the preset at all, moving the drawbar only affects the Bb or B preset, so even the big jump in drawbar setting is an update to nothing, I guess...

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Originally posted by The Soundsmith:

If you use organ presets in addition to pulling drawbrs, it's nice to have the drawbars match the current registration.

Well, sure, but why do you need presets if you have actual drawbars?

I'm perplexed by this too...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I'd use presets to start the tune, and then grab a handfull o' bars to push & pull as I play, like the great gospel players do. But regardless of where the drawbars are, when I want a particular tone real fast, just hit the preset. (I have the 8 keys below C2 mapped to presets already, just like the inverted white/black keys on a B3 -- except it has 12. Er, yes, I do hit them by mistake sometimes!) And then the drawbars are always right where they belong, for grabbing them again and playing 'em.

Also, when I hit a preset, I'd know immediately what the drawbar setting for it is. (Of course, with NIB4 I can just look at my laptop screen and see 'em. :)

On a real B, as mentioned above, you only get the drawbars in using the B or Bb preset keys. (With Bb, percussion is disabled regardless of the switch setting.) On a real B, when you hit any other preset key, any adjustments to the drawbars have no effect until you hit the B or Bb preset key.

So, motorized drawbars would be better than a B3. (Omigosh, that sounds like heresy! Please forgive me!)

That's cool, learjeff.

'Preciate you taking the time (and making the mental and physical effort)

to expound on how you envision that motorized drawbars

could be used to one's advantage.

By indicating your preference for (if not reliance upon ) PRESETS

(at least, as a starting point),

you've pretty well explained where you're coming from

regarding this possible scenario.

Thanks, bro. :)

Not reliance. Just a quick way to get where I know I want to go. Currently I rely on them only because I don't HAVE drawbars. Just a matter of time, though. I even bought an OB3 on ebay for the purpose, only to realize I'd bought the wrong version for that purpose (argh!) It has to be OB3-squared. Imagine my joy as I looked on the back of the OB3 and only saw "In" and "Thru" MIDI connectors.

For newbies to drawbar organs, motorized drawbars would also be a great training aid. Play around with factory presets and see how the drawbars are set to get that sound, pretty quickly you get the idea.

Archived