Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 g's - How to spend it on gear. Any budding consultants out there?

tarkus

That's what I'm looking at folks. As you know I've been in the process of getting my 'house in order'. Lost all my gear in a fire a few years ago and have been a bit strapped.

Finally - a bit of do re me is coming my way and I want to get it right.

What I had: A Korg Triton pro 76, a Kawai K3, A Kustom PA (fooey) and a few other Items.

I've been calculating and waiting for a few deals; so far the trend is right.

Got my theremin and added a Photo-theremin for laughs.

Wish List: Korg Triton Extreme 76, Alesis Ion, a stereo mixer and a pair of powered speakers/ or Motion Sound KB 200.

I think I can skate under 5 g's with this wish-list. Depending how I finagle it I can interchange the Ion for another board of similar qualities - any input?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee, that's a hard list to advise against. :thu:

I've rediscovered the MOSS board in my own Triton lately. Tarnation, that's a powerful beast! I'd try to widget that into the budget. The only other synths over the Ion which I might consider would be a Nord Lead/Modular or a Virus C - or forthcoming TI. Or a Roland V-Synth, but those are considerably more expensive, and then the dreaded Andromeda is in view of them, which I'd rather have much more. The Ion is a lot more versatile and cost effective than a Nord, outside of a Modular, and is very musical.

I'd also consider beefing up the voice department and doing the ebay thing for a Roland module like the XV-3080 or such. 128 voice polyphony, great synth engine, sound and effects, and some fantastic expansion cards that can give you all the synth power of the keyboard giants of yore and yet to come. It or a Yamaha would complement the Triton beautifully.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Thanks Sir Basil,

I've Been looking at modules and had a Yamaha TG-100 in my old set-up (i'll never make that mistake again) and if I have room to trade up on Nord mod or Virus, I'll go for it. I also had a shot at used Waldorf (the yellow one) but snooze you lose.

- Did I mention I'm going to add Midi-bass pedals?

After the holidays, I'll be closer to the reality - I'll keep the board up.

PS - the Photo-theremin is a fun little hog.

Originally posted by BenOne:

I've been very impressed with the demos I've heard of the Access Virus Classic--it does such a good job of recreating analog synths (I've heard it do dead-on renditions of Jean-Michel Jarre sounds) that it may even be worth considering in lieu of the Ion.

Ben

I don't want the mod - table top (it is available under $1000), I'd rather have an independant keyboard, the Polar TI looks interesting. Some of my gigs, I could get away with just one keyboard, but the big gigs, I like to have two manuals.

Any thoughts on midi-bass pedals?

Although it has been 'panned' on this board, the Korg MS 2000 was quite impressive when I saw/heard the Floyd trib band 'The Machine'. I have to get hands on experience with some of the other boards. Trying to demo at Samash or Manny's in NYC is like pulling teeth. Guitar Center has a friendly staff, I might give em a shot.

why not wait for NAMM in January, them make your call ?

After, last NAMM, I got the Extreme 76 plus the Fantom XR.

If nothing significant happens next month, consider that great combination.

I had the 3080 but believe thats the wrong move ( its 5 years old) and a poor use of $600. Put that $600 towards an XR

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Originally posted by GregC:

why not wait for NAMM in January, them make your call ?

After, last NAMM, I got the Extreme 76 plus the Fantom XR.

If nothing significant happens next month, consider that great combination.

I had the 3080 but believe thats the wrong move ( its 5 years old) and a poor use of $600. Put that $600 towards an XR

That sounds like a winning combo! - I can't wait much longer, having serious GAS pains! :D

Two general thoughts...

(1) Don't spend the whole 5 grand at once. Each new piece of gear requires weeks, even months, to learn thoroughly. Keep a little bit of cash while you learn your first purchase, and then you'll have money to work with when even cooler stuff comes out in 2005.

(2) If you already have a computer, soft synths are less expensive than hardware synths. Plus you can usually download a demo version before you buy. Ever get a demo synth to KEEP from Roland or Yamaha? Depending on what you want to do, this could be an attractived and cost effective option.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Two general thoughts...

(1) Don't spend the whole 5 grand at once. Each new piece of gear requires weeks, even months, to learn thoroughly. Keep a little bit of cash while you learn your first purchase, and then you'll have money to work with when even cooler stuff comes out in 2005.

(2) If you already have a computer, soft synths are less expensive than hardware synths. Plus you can usually download a demo version before you buy. Ever get a demo synth to KEEP from Roland or Yamaha? Depending on what you want to do, this could be an attractived and cost effective option.

Good points - duly noted.

I have good experience programming the triton and merely scratched the surface on some of its elaborate potential prior to the fire that consumed my gear... computer included. Oddly enough, my triton samples, combis, and sketches etcc were saved on 4 disks that survived the fire and it would be easier for me to upload all that info on another Triton - apparantly, these disks could work in the Extreme.

I prefer a self contained rig for gigs and recording and was very comfortable with the recent developement in workstation technology. I'm not a huge fan of the soft-synths yet, but when the home studio gets finished I'm sure it'll be included.

As for analog (type) synthesis.... I like having a devoted board for analog stuff, its a lot easier than searching through menus and I am efficient with tweaking knobs and sliders - its also a lot more fun than clicking a mouse. I sit behind several computers at work - the last thing I want to look at is anothe computer and mouse.

The 2005 NAMM will definitely throw a wrench into my works as something utterly fantastic will pop up and change my perspective. The folks at Access Virus seem to be ahead of the curve with the TI and that may be the top tier board I'm looking for.

PS: Wen to Manny's yesterday and noodled with their limited display of keys. I don't like weighted keys, I am convinced that the Fantom Piano patches aren't all that terrific. The KORG MS 2000 looks good on paper, but I didn't like its construction.

The field is now: Korg Triton Extreme 76 (unweighted)

quest for Top tier board: I need to try the ION and one of the Access Virus new TI's.

I may be going over budget, but thats the fun part.

Archived