Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

When you write something that may or may not fit...

Phait

I came up with this chill type beat and bass line, like 2/4, and it sounds nice but I don't know if I want to use it for the album or for my other project which this sounds more geared towards. I can see it going both ways.... ah decisions!

What've you done?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why box yourself into a corner with preconceptions on how you want your album to turn out? If it's only a bass line and a drum part, it can see countless permutations before it evolves into a complete piece. I think it can be dangerous to pigeonhole a project too soon. I don't know how far your cd is coming along, so I am saying this from my perspective, not by judging your work process.

If it does culminate into nothing - or crap - them do as Bleen suggests and discard.

I assume you expect to crete more than one album or project in your lifetime.

Follow this song's thread to wherever it leads. Write the song, not the album. When you have enough songs that fit together to be one album, release those songs, mix them into an album (IOW, they already fit together emotionally and/or structurally to be shown together, so mix them to match sonically as well.)

But don't restrict your creative force into a narrow scope, it will cost you later. And the song you discarded because you weren't LOOKING for a gentle country rock song, you wanted a death metal screamer, is the one you'll need in a year or two...

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

One wonders what "the other project" is...but as nearly syggested by Astor, you can always treat an idea in more than one way.

You could do alternate versions of the same composition (we can never have enough of those ;) ) or you could develop it into variant compositions.

Archived