Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Echoplex/Modern day equivalent?- A new thread

kyledude

Greetings,

A while back I started a thread in which I was searching for a modern day equivalent of the original Maestro Echoplex tape loop. Once again I will be using the delay effect with mostly Fender-Rhodes type electric piano sounds. Have any of you pro's found anything on the market that comes close to reproducing the sound of the echoplex? I appreciate the response I received off of the first thread, but I am still searching for a product (digital I'm sure) that is reasonably priced and can produce spacey delays along with control of pitch change.

I bought the Danalectro "Reel Echo" a while back thinking that might be the answer. I was disappointed in that it will not change pitch of the sound going through it-like the echoplex will. I want to be able to change pitch up and down for live performance, as well as have feedback and hold functions.

Here are some of the artists(and most are older artists like myself!) that I listen to that used the echoplex in very creative ways:

1. George Duke

2. Herbie Hancock

3. John Medeski (really like what he's doing now)

Here are some songs to check out that feature the sounds that I would like to be able to create:

(The following cuts are from Medeski Martin & Wood:)

1. From "The Dropper" album-cut 11-"Tsukemono"- end of the song around 3:08 Echoplex efx on Mellotron with pitch shifting downward. Love that.

2. Same album-Cut 1-"We are Rolling"-echoplex efx starting at 2:09-I think it's a clavinet through an echoplex. Again at 3:02. Way cool efx.

3. From their new album "End of the world party.."-cut 4-"Bloody oil"- 42 seconds and throughout song there's a cool 50's sci-fi delay effect. Mellotron I believe..

Thanks for your suggestions in advance..

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived