Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Someone with a Micron help me

eric

Hey folks,

I had a separate thread going about my new Micron and the lost navigation knob. I had ordered the part from Alesis and they did not yet have Micron parts. They sent me an Ion knob they thought was the same, but it is apparently not. It arrived yesterday and does not fit.

What I need is for someone to examine their Micron's navigation knob (far right-hand knob) and describe it. What I see on my Micron is a hole that looks like it needs a male interface coming down from the knob to allow for scrolling and push button functions. What I don't know is whether or not this was molded to the knob or if it was a separate pot.

Someone look at the knob and let me know if it is just one knob or more parts than this. I need to figure out how to replace this function if Alesis does not have the part. Perhaps the Ion knob would work, but a part is missing that I don't know about.

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi eric:

the knob sits on a shaft sticking up thru the surface of the board.

the shaft has the typical 'U' shape, and so does the knob (thru some plastic shapes molded in).

if you don't have the shaft sticking out of the board, it's going to take more than just the knob to repair it.

the feel of the main navigation knob is one of my very few complaints with the micron. mine feels very 'wobbly' and has lots of side-to-side slop.

good luck fixing it.

Eric:

Now with that word of encouragement, why don't you try the ION user group on Yahoo? There's a ton of Micron owners on that site and the admin folks might know something. Then there's also Alesis tech support.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by mildbill

the knob sits on a shaft sticking up thru the surface of the board.

the shaft has the typical 'U' shape, and so does the knob (thru some plastic shapes molded in).

if you don't have the shaft sticking out of the board, it's going to take more than just the knob to repair it.

Thanks for this information. I did not know if there was a shaft or not. Can you describe the shaft? Is it removable or seem to be attached? I want to be able to describe it to Alesis parts or look at Radio Shack for something that will work. I was looking under the other Micron knobs and the shafts are screwed down. I don't think the nav knob was attached...otherwise it would not have disappeared so easily, shaft and all!

Thanks,

Eric

Eric:

It seems to me you're going through a lot of trouble with a new synth. What about the dealer you bought it from, can't they help?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

like i said, it's got the typical 'U' shape. appears to be solid plastic.

sticks up about 1/2" from the flat suface.

i'm sure it attaches directly to some type of circular control switch - you can feel the indents in the switch when you turn the shaft/knob.

i suspect it's all one piece and you probably need some type of schematic to get a name and number.

it seems like the whole switch might have to be replaced - this is all guessing on my part.

micron's are new enough where it may come under warranty?

the crappiness of the main control knob is one of the major complaints i've heard on forums - too bad, because the other knobs, sliders, wheel, etc., all seem just fine.

i hope you'll keep us posted - i'm afraid i may need your experience with this sometime. i'd like to keep the micron for a long time, but i'm not sure how well that knob will hold up.

if they'd come out with a damn editor program for it, you could get by without it - it probably would have saved them a lot of grief with the ion, too. but the micron could use an editor more.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, this is a real pain. I have not tried the GC where I bought it. The knob was there and worked fine when I bought the synth. Then it disappeared mysteriously between the end of one gig and the next one. I speculate that a drunken spectator grabbed it or someone brushed against it to knock it off. I really don't know! Either way, it makes me a little bit cautious about long-term reliability of this synth. I've never had something like this happen so soon after purchase.

Maybe I'll take it into GC and tell them what happened. Or at least what I think happened. I really don't know what happened, other than my navigation knob is gone and it renders the keyboard basically useless. Perhaps they would swap it for me? I doubt that Alesis will have the replacement part, which is a shame. They told me on the phone last week that they had not yet received any Micron parts since it is such a new synth.

Regards,

Eric

Archived