Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what would I loose with a music production PC and no internet connection?

Yahoo

Is there anything that I would really be missing out on if my music making computer doesn't have a internet connection? The only thing I can think of is possible updates from windows because their program reads the PC and see what's missing. Driver updates and other stuff I can just save to CD from a PC that has internet and trasfer.

Any ideas?

thank you

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by galiwaves:

Is there anything that I would really be missing out on if my music making computer doesn't have a internet connection?

Yes:

• Hackers
  • Virii*
  • Trojans
  • Reduced performance

If at all possible, you should dedicate your DAW to the single job of creating music. Every time you add another task, or install a non-music app (this includes network drivers, email clients, games, etc) you dilute the focus of the machine. Often these other apps will install a TSR (Terminate & Stay Resident) type app (normally you'll see an icon for it in the taskbar). Each of these takes up another chunk of RAM, and CPU cycles.

Now, you'll probably get people telling you that with the sheer power of the latest CPUs, you don't need to worry about these anymore. That approach will work fine until the time you're working on your magnum opus and need everything your PC can handle to record the 2,048 voice tracks of voice data because you convinced the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to squeeze into your bathroom because the acoustics are better there. ;):D

(* = you won't be FREE from virus infection, but your risk will be greatly reduced**)

(** = this assumes you will be using legally purchased applications, instead of the often-trojan-infested cracked versions that abound)

Cheers,

SG

Archived