Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurtzweil problem

Okay, here's a puzzler. 2500X. Load samples from the internal hard drive, samples are corrupted, and play back with pops and clicks. Load the same samples from the external drive, and they work perfectly.

We've changed the hard drive. No joy.

Anybody run into this before?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like the samples got stored to your internal hard drive corrupted. Try saving a good sample to to your internal hard drive and loading it back into RAM - see if you have pops and clicks. You may have a faulty internal hard drive.

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Sounds like the samples got stored to your internal hard drive corrupted. Try saving a good sample to to your internal hard drive and loading it back into RAM - see if you have pops and clicks. You may have a faulty internal hard drive.

He said he replaced the drive. This happened to me once (internal drive sounds bad, external fine) on a K2000R. It went into service 4 times, and they couldn't resolve the issue.

"For instance" is not proof.

I would look at four things...

1) Make sure the internal HD is properly terminated (or unterminated, depending open your scsi configuration). This is usually done using jumpers on the HD - the documentation for you HD should have the details. If the internal drive used to work fine but suddenly stopped working, this is probably not the problem.

2) Make sure there is no scsi ID conflict anywhere in your scsi chain. The K2500 itself will use ID 6 by default. Make sure that the K2500, the internal HD, and any external devices are all using different IDs.

3) Try replacing the internal scsi cable.

4) Make sure the power supply is providing adequate power for the internal HD. This has always been somewhat of a problem for K2000 and K2500 models. On Kurzweil's web site, you'll find specs for the maximum power an internal hard drive can safely draw from the internal power supply. *MOST* modern hard drives exceed these limitations!!

I would tend to put my money on either 3 or 4 above. Generally speaking, if a scsi conflict or scsi termination is the culprit, disk mode will appear to freeze up intermittently.

Hope this helps!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Archived