Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg or Yamaha?

SW

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is one of those subjects that comes up a lot (do a search for all thr gory details). It's a pretty subjective decision (feel -- sound -- etc.). But if you were to poll this forum, my guess is the P-90 would win hands down (or the P-120). Another contender might be the Roland FP2/FP5. Try before you buy, and good luck!

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I think one area that Korg falls short is in the digital piano area. The acoustic samples they have are not quite up to snuff with Yamaha and Roland. All very subjective though, everyone has different taste. What you buy comes down to what you like, sound, action, features, dealer, and price. Sometimes when you're working with a local dealer, they might only carry one or two major lines and if you want service/support after the sale, you go with what they sell. If you gig regularly, having a local dealer is a plus. The lowest price isn't always the best deal if you have a problem after the fact. Try the different models in your price range before you buy anything, provided you can find any locally.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I had a friend who would say that those who read Consumer's Reports can't think for themselves.

While it's great to have others support your purchase decision, it's really you who has to play the instrument. I would advise that you spend a few days in several stores trying the various pianos for hours. Bring a good set of headphones and you will be better able to compare the various piano samples.

Let us know what you finally decide.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave:

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they like. But I think a prerequisite is gathering information. I learned a lot on these forums talking to other players about the boards they owned, their likes and dislikes, as well as listened to a lot of media clips before I decided what I wanted. There really aren't many music stores close to me that even handle KB's. The ones that do, might carry one or two models from one company. You can't do very much comparing that way. If you live in a city, you have a lot more options. "In the sticks" we don't have those options. Driving to Philly wasn't practical for me and I'd have to pay sales tax anyway, so the Internet had to do the job. It did. The only ?? was the action. You can't "feel" it on the web. :) I made sure the company I bought from had a liberal return policy.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What he said. ;) We all ask advice from friends and knowledgeable people, and with electronic instruments, there are so many, it's a good idea to get a few tips from people in the know to start from.

And PLEASE don't be mean and recommend Search to people asking questions. It's a bear on a board of this size. I lost my link to the site entirely several times doing general searches, and I have broadband. It only works with very specific parameters like recent dates and user numbers.

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Thanx for your opinions.I know that this was a stupid question, but in fact, I haven't had the time to play any of these yet.It's like asking: "Which are better, apples or bananas?"

I just thought it would be a good idea to ask for some opinions from people who might have more experience than me in the jungle of keyboards. Of course, if I had the money, I would buy a Steinway grand piano and a Hammond B-3 organ. :freak:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I had a friend who would say that those who read Consumer's Reports can't think for themselves.

While it's great to have others support your purchase decision, it's really you who has to play the instrument. I would advise that you spend a few days in several stores trying the various pianos for hours. Bring a good set of headphones and you will be better able to compare the various piano samples.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Hi,

Or maybe the ones that listen to other's opinions actually are thinking for themselves. You can ask for other people's opinions, try yourself and compare your own findings to previous experience. Thus, you are thinking for yourself..

I'll have to go play some boards and let the ears decide. :cool: Anyway, thanx for your reply!

Best regards,

Simon

I will add one thing. Many years ago GM (General Music) touted a new fangled keyboard that was the closest thing to a 'real' piano. I almost bought one just from the ads. I eventually went and played one and was disappointed. It was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember that the keyboard action itself was not great. That was a lesson for me - don't believe the hype. Don't believe the ads.

My P250 has string resonance just like a real piano. If that feature did not exist I never would have known any difference. I don't hear that kick in at home through headphones in actual playing and I know for a fact that feature is lost on a job. It's icing on the cake, but if that feature could be switched on or off, you would be hard pressed to tell what the setting was in actual playing. The only feature that makes a noticeable difference is the sustain pedal that is graduated (not either on or off).

A lot of folks here like Yamaha. I own three. I have played the Roland RD700 and thought it was excellent (and had a smaller footprint and was lighter). There are other models of Roland piano that I would consider using on jobs.

Whatever you decide, _play_ one first. If you live in the sticks, make that trip. There are all kinds of musicians here in this forum with all kings of opinions. Some guys are professional and some guys some practice in their bedroom and never play a job. My point, don't buy without trying.

Let us know what you decide.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I will add one thing. Many years ago GM (General Music) touted a new fangled keyboard that was the closest thing to a 'real' piano. I almost bought one just from the ads. I eventually went and played one and was disappointed. It was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember that the keyboard action itself was not great. That was a lesson for me - don't believe the hype. Don't believe the ads.

ugggh, i woke up with a headache, and now this. More slamming the action on a general music product. What's with you guys. Have you never played a real grand that doesn't argue with you? Smooth as silk? Maybe i'm a bit of an oddball around here since i do a lot of classical music which requires pianissimo playing without the use of an expression pedal. I love the action on my promega. In fact, I don't think about it, until somebody brings it up. I don't know what keyboard you played, but it's unfortunate that years later it becomes cannon fodder.

Anyway, i think it's funny if we're not to believe the hype, if we're not to believe the adds, then we might as stop posting our opinions and our endorsements, and turn off this network of lies. :D

buy a promega. I did. I'm a sucker for good advertising. :D:thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Hey Sue:

Don't get too bent out of shape because Dave tried a GEM KB and didn't like it. Its all so subjective. Another example would be our mutual compatriot Herman Joe (Tom). He hates the ION KB. Its no where near as good as some of the other keyboards I own, but its certainly very playable, but not for Tom. I think its good for how much the ION costs. I read a post on HC from someone that just bought a Roland Fantom X8. Great acoustic piano samples. They sample 4 different velocities on EACH note on the entire KB. The Yamaha Motif ES samples aren't that extensive. But personally, I wouldn't buy an expensive Roland KB, can't get it serviced anywhere close by. Yamaha gear has always been 100% reliable, maybe their samples aren't as good as the Fantom X8, but Yamaha has always been rock solid, never had to get any of my Yamaha gear serviced. There's a lot of reasons players buy one thing or the other, and its usually preference.

Mike T.

Have you never played a real grand that doesn't argue with you? Smooth as silk? Maybe i'm a bit of an oddball around here since i do a lot of classical music which requires pianissimo playing without the use of an expression pedal. I love the action on my promega.
I played on an excellent seven foot Steinway for 20 years worth of daily rehearsals, owned a Yamaha upright for about 20 years, owned a six foot Yamaha for seven or eight years and am well aware of what a good action is. I also perfrom on _many_ acoustic pianos and am confronted with various levels of quality.

I mentioned the GM and referred to an older model. For what its worth, I played a Promega 3 only a few months ago and did not like the action at all. First, I do not practice on an electric action, but I would still not like that action for job use. I refrained from commenting on the GM action (actually a Fatar) until now. If you like it, fine. I found it mushy and that alone turned me off from that model. If GM would use better actions and lose the retro look they might sell more keyboards. They have a good idea but lousy marketing, IMO.

If GM would use better actions and lose the retro look they might sell more keyboards. They have a good idea but lousy marketing, IMO.

Hahha. I don't mind the retro look, I'm some kind of retro look myself. We're a match.

Anybody getting the impression that you and I were born under a different sign ? :)

How's Sleigh Ride coming along?

Anybody getting the impression that you and I were born under a different sign ?
Oh no, the discussion has taking a turn for the worse. :D Let's see, there are 12 zodiac signs [sic], you should be able to guess mine - the odds are 12 to 1.

Re Sligh Ride - it's been done for a while, reharmonized with better changes as well. :cool:

ooo dave, imagine what I could do with powerful information like your zodiak sign. I could cast a spell on your sleigh bell machine to ring randomly...all the while slowing down...

cheers! :D

Archived