Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Micron Adventures

Andre Lower

Well, I finally found some time to start learning to use my Micron. Today was Day-1.

I started with a big disappointment: The tap tempo light was designed to blink for as long as the synth is switched on. First I could not believe that such a thing could be anything other than lack of knowledge from my part (ah, beginners...), but an e-mail to Tech Support confirmed: It was designed to blink forever, no matter what. And it is SO ANOYING :mad: ! Really blows my concentration on whatever I am trying to do. Now I am considering the option of losing the warranty, opening up the beast and getting rid of the LED...

As for the programmability, it is not exactly immediate, but after a while it is not that bad. However I still find some characteristics rather strange. For instance, there seem to be no Amp envelope, only filter envelopes.

I'll let everybody know about my findings over time. Now back to some more "learning to crawl".

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by synthetic:

Try black electrical tape before you open it up. I do this to all of my speakers with bright lights. Manufacturers do this to say "hey, it's a powered speaker!" in the store. Flashing lights are the worst.

Well, the Micron is rather compact, and this lousy Tap empo led sits so close to the other, neighboring led-lit buttons (octave, store, etc.) that the glow a little too. To make it short, unless I kill the Tap Tempo LED I'll have to put up with the maddening twinkling :evil: ...
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Hartmann:

The tap tempo light was designed to blink for as long as the synth is switched on. First I could not believe that such a thing could be anything other than lack of knowledge from my part (ah, beginners...), but an e-mail to Tech Support confirmed: It was designed to blink forever, no matter what. And it is SO ANOYING :mad: !

Doesn't that just suck? Where mine sits in my rig I can mostly ignore it, but when we play a tune that's "close but no cigar" in tempo it really drives me nuts. Even threw me off a bit a couple of times. Sometimes now I'll actually tap it to get it in sync. But of course, we're not playing to a click so eventually it gets off again.

Sigh.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

The LFO light on my Voyager keeps flashing, too. And the one on my CS-15. And my SH-101. Dammit! It's as if synth manufacturers think they're communicating information by showing me the tempo!

You could always, y'know, put it in time with the music. Or are the flashes not in tempo? Now that would be unforgivable and annoying.

-Hoax

Originally posted by Cruel Hoax:

The LFO light on my Voyager keeps flashing, too. And the one on my CS-15. And my SH-101. Dammit! It's as if synth manufacturers think they're communicating information by showing me the tempo!

You could always, y'know, put it in time with the music. Or are the flashes not in tempo? Now that would be unforgivable and annoying.

-Hoax

Well, I am not sequencing on the Micron (do not intend to, as I use MIDI files for that) and simply have no use for Tap Tempo at all. And am amazed by such a silly idea on the part of Alesis Developing Team. BTW, do you guys really believe this could be disabled via software? I wonder if Alesis will ever do it...

I felt like I was " driving a space ship",
HAHa, that's^ what I said about the Ion in my uneducated review of that board when it first came out. I gave everyone here first reviews. First my reviews were good, then bad- ultimately, I had no idea what I was talking about-some things made sense that I said, but I really had/have no real expertise about synths' sound qualities. Really, I can listen to any sample or play a keyboard blindfolded and give my opinion based on just how it sounds compared to silence :freak: - If a synth costs a bit of money, I just consider it good. I hope I didn't discourage anyone when I gave a bad review due to frustrations deriving from not geting the Ion to immediately do particular things that I wanted.

The Ion proved to be quite a synth at a great price.

Originally posted by Hartmann:

The tap tempo light was designed to blink for as long as the synth is switched on. First I could not believe that such a thing could be anything other than lack of knowledge from my part (ah, beginners...), but an e-mail to Tech Support confirmed: It was designed to blink forever, no matter what. And it is SO ANOYING :mad: ! Really blows my concentration on whatever I am trying to do. Now I am considering the option of losing the warranty, opening up the beast and getting rid of the LED...

What? :confused: You joking, right?

Those flashy LEDs and knobs and buttons are beautiful! It's like flying the Millenium Falcon, ferkrissake!

Oh, wait, you've "only" got a Micron. :D See, on the Ion all those blinky things look amazing. ;)

As for the programmability, it is not exactly immediate, but after a while it is not that bad. However I still find some characteristics rather strange. For instance, there seem to be no Amp envelope, only filter envelopes.
Well, it's the same engine like the Ion, and the Ion does have the ability to edit Amp envelopes.

Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/

Nothing on my rig blinks, but if it did it would not bother me.

However, don't void your warrenty. If you aren't actually using beats with your Micron, just set the tempo as fast as you can. That should make it look like a steady glow instead of blinking.

Carl

Archived