Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best cables?

tarkus

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read that using microphone cable is great for interconnects (patch cables). Alot of audio freaks use mic cable with RCA connectors between their home stereo gear.

Cheaper than Monster, but you do need a bit of DIY in you!

Originally posted by bleen:

Are you handy with a soldering iron? If so, get some bulk Canare cable and Neutrik ends from someplace like Markertek and roll yer own! :thu:

I used to salvage old cables when I was '5 and 10-ing' it in days of yore. I'm a bit lazy thjese days?

Whats good on the market? Are there specific recommendations for keyboards?

I only buy well made instrument cables, the kind that have the entire metal jack dipped in rubber. I never have any problems.

Don't waste your money on Mon$ter cable as you'll never hear the difference and your wallet will thank you.

I always make my own speaker cables, but instrument cables, I just buy off the shelf. (I even have RCA cables from 1965 that are still going strong.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave Horne has the right idea. Monster cables are WAY too expensive, and its unnecessary to pay that kind of $$$ for instrument cables. MUSIC123 is having a sale on Rapco cables, which have the vinyl covers on each connector end. They still had 15' and 20' ones in stock at 7.99 and 9.99, which is a great cost savings for a "name" brand. Take a peek and save some $$$.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by tarkus:

Years ago I used guitar or instrument cables.

Those are perfectly fine for keys.

A local music store here (Guitar Showcase), sells there own branded instrument cables in 10' and 18' lengths for fairly cheap, with a lifetime guarantee. I pretty much use those exclusively, except when I need different sizes or angled connectors.

I've considered making my own. I'm sure it's cheaper, and if I take my time the quality will be good. Custom lengths sound nice. But I just haven't found the time. I don't have much space in my house, so I don't have a workbench readily available for such things -- I have to sort of clear a space, set everything up, blah blah blah...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by tarkus:

So there is no "espescially for Keyboard" cable.

I like Rapco and Procord. I'll stick with Planet Waves.

A 'shielded guitar' cable is exactly the same as a 'shielded keyboard' cable. There ain't no difference. :cool:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

All the music stores push Monster and other high end cables. Instead, I bought a pair of Hosa 10' shielded cables for $10 and have had excellent results for home studio use. Good clean sound with no hum or distortion. They might not hold up as well as a better built cable for frequent gigging, but even then, they should work fine given reasonable care.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

[A 'shielded guitar' cable is exactly the same as a 'shielded keyboard' cable. There ain't no difference. :cool:

Agreed. Keyboards probably demand less from the cable quality than guitar cables, because the higher level signals that keyboards generally put out are less susceptible to hum and noise pickup. Interestingly, the "Leslie cables" used between a Hammond and Leslie are not even shielded!

Therefore, it really comes down to which ones are mechanically stronger than others.

- Bob

Monsters are good because you can return them to any retailer without a receipt and they'll give you the same chord no ?s asked. I think they sell them at Best Buy and stuff.

I switched to Monsters because I was tired of resoldering cheap connections on cheap chords- but that was usually with a guitar, sometimes moving around and breaking connections.

:cool:

Archived