Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

clavia G2 - oppinions

yannis D

hi guys

I recently read in Clavia's website that the G2 synth/machine has some detune options!

Has any one of you worked with this small, red monster so far? Do you have any good or bad oppinions about the sounds/reliability/functions of the G2?

I would like to know if I can load in the G2 orchestral/organ/accordion sounds (as we all know Clavia's internal sounds are more or less electronic) and play/detune theme from it's machine.

Thnx in advance

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean with "detune"? Playing in different "exotic" scales? Because usually with a virtual analog synth 'detune' is used for 'oscillator detune' - slightly tuning it up or down a few cents relative to the other oscillator gives a 'wider' and animated sound.

As for the sounds, if all you need are "natural" sounds, if I recall correctly the cheaper Korg rack modules also offer alternative tuning methods (Pythagorean, Werckmeister, Kirnberger, Arabic). Depends on what you exactly need, though.

If you want to emulate strings, you can take the hard route and have some pretty good physical modelling strings, or you could use the standard way and not have terribly realistic strings, but usable ones for pads. Same goes for other instruments; there's a physical modelling tutorial that'll show you how to build trumpets, clarinets & all from scratch, but that's the hard route - not worth it if you just want some sounds at your disposal but mainly care about the alternative tunings. An accordeon - that should work with some programming, but don't expect awesome realism. Organs - the problem you're going to run into is that the G2 might eventually lack polyphony.

Thnx Yoozer

With Detune i mean detuning one or more notes (but not the hole keyboard) for arabic/oriental use - not ocsilators (for that i do have the Nord Lead 2 and the VST's). I need realistic strings etc, but i know that Clavia... well... "realistic" sounds are not it's best...

As far as the Korg racks, do you have some more information please?

Thnx in advance

Yannis

Yes Sir

the only reason i'm looking at Clavia is because the G2 has detuning options -something rarely found in most of the other keyboards- and it's small and practical, kind of a simple engine, easy to carry abroad in the airplanes. The Triton, the GEM WK3 oriental or other workstations wich have detuning options, are big enouph to pay a fortune in airports...

Yannis

Sure. The Korg N5 and N5ex I had offered several microtonality settings - with presets. I don't recall if you could build your own, though. The Roland XP-30 I have doesn't have preset alternative tunings, but it is possible to make your own. It does mean that they are "fixed" then - so not stored with the preset but applied system-wide; also, the increments are in Roland's own "clicks", ranging from -64 to +63 instead of the much more convenient cents.

I don't know if the newer series (XV-5050, Fantom XR) also offer this possibility - I'd think so because every newer incarnation is inevitably a step forward ;) .

E-mu seems to be the farthest in terms of alternative tunings, but this is from what I've heard from someone else. The E-mu modules have some other drawbacks that might not make you happy.

Yes, I'd forget the G2.

Consider getting a rom based synth with a small form factor, or get a rom module and a small keyboard. I like the latter idea better.

For example, with a Roland XV2020 and an M audio Oxygen 8, you could put your whole rig in a backpack and carry it on the plane. And you'll get the microtonal capability (subject to the constraints Yoozer mentioned).

Best,

Jerry

Will you need different microtonal scales on each song? Multiple microtonal scales within a song? or access to one or two microtonal scales per night?

I believe the XV will support the last scenario by itself, as will many other rom modules. However, it's best to think through the sysex, keystrokes, etc. before you buy. You may want to deal with someone with a good return policy.

Jerry

The XV is a great choise, you can make your own custom quarter-tone scales with the editor. It´s also small, lightweight and sounds good. I´ve compiled a small "travel rig" for backline gigs; a Warwick 2u rockcase containing a Motif rack and an XV-2020. I tend to use the Motif for keyboards and strings and the XV for auxilliary sounds.

:cool:

Dear Jerry

In some of the songs a detuned note is required - for example, in a song D needs to be quarternote detuned in "-38" or "-32" (alternative arabic or turkish tuning). Only in one song two notes should be detuned, otherwise most of the songs are "normal" or with just a note detuned. That's why I think the module is good for the job. As analog said, it's light and portable, and goes easily with my laptop and the Nord's card - plus it's only for one of my jobs, so i don't wanna invest so much money on it. One of theese days I'll check out the module - if there are good strings/accordion it's OK for me.

Thnx and regards

Yannis

I believe the XV stores one alternate tuning. Switching to the first alternate tuning would be a simply toggle (turn scale tune on). The second one would require some modifications to the tuned scale. It sounds like you you want to adjust only a couple of the intervals.

At the end of the gig, the scale may be set to something other than what you started out with, of course.

All the best,

Jerry

Τhat's the problem - Ii need more than one tuning in the hole set. Tthat means oOne song "A", the next song "D#" etc etc... And I won't have the time to do all the micro-tuning between the songs on stage!

Yannis

Archived