Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lost my Micron's navigation knob...

eric

Hey folks,

I recently picked up an Alesis Micron in a weak moment of GAS. It is fun little synth and a little easier to integrate into my rig due to its small footprint.

I had a panicked moment on the gig yesterday when I unpacked the Micron and the big navigation knob on the right side is GONE! Not sure how and when this happened. I have used it on 3 gigs and so I can only speculate that someone may have brushed by it at the end of my last gig and it came off without me noticing it. Or I knocked it off during teardown. This knob is the lifeblood of the instrument for changing patches and editing. Not having it is sort of like using a computer without a mouse. I was able to navigate a bit by using a screwdriver, but the push button commands would not work.

Any ideas on getting this replaced? I sent an email to Alesis support and this may be my best avenue. Not sure if there are any other sources for Alesis part or if Radio Shack may have something compatible?

Any suggestions appreciated. This is quite a conundrum!

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric, wow doesn't that suck? I don't know that I would wait for an email response. On Monday, I would call Alesis and get the phone number of their service center. When I talked to them some time ago, they told me that they have a third party central service company in California that handles all their repairs. They could give you their phone number. You could call them and have them Fed Ex the part to you pronto.

If you have a problem getting through to Alesis, maybe the dealer you got it from has the number too.

Good luck,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Great news! I called Alesis and spoke to the parts dept in Rhode Island. At first, they told me I was out of luck because the Micron is so new that they have not started supporting replacement parts on it. After describing the knob, it turns out that the Ion has the same knob and they just happened to have one. $2.00 including shipping! I should be back in business this weekend.

Regards,

Eric

Not sure how and when this happened. I have used it on 3 gigs and so I can only speculate that someone may have brushed by it at the end of my last gig and it came off without me noticing it. Or I knocked it off during teardown.
Maybe someone else needed one, and was too lazy to order it?
"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still lacking resolution on this Micron problem of the lost navigation knob. I had originally thought that the replacement I ordered was the solution, but since the entire rotary encoder is gone along with the knob, just a knob does me no good! See related thread here:

Lost knob and other part as well

I have been on the phone with Alesis parts a half dozen times in the last 2 weeks. They cannot find any info on this encoder knob. They do not have it and none of their techs can provide any specs for it. They predict it could be 2-3 months before parts for the Micron arrive from Taiwan. I went to Guitar Center and told them my plight and was advised to ship the synth to Alesis. That does me no good if they don't have parts for 2-3 months.

This is about the most frustrating gear situation I've ever had. I used the synth for barely 2 weeks and it broke. It has been sitting on the bench for the past month while I try to hunt down a non-existant part. Any other ideas? I may try to push harder on GC to take it back and give me another one.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB

I can lend you my Ion until you get your Micron is repaired. PM me.

Whoa. I'm floored.

That is way too cool. Thank you Ken, for such a generous offer. I may take you up on it if I cannot get any quick resolution via Guitar Center, where I bought my Micron just one week before the knob disappeared.

Thanks a million!

Regards,

Eric

Hey Eric,

So, my Micron had a similar situation, but I was able to use all the features without the knob, but using the post. Did you lose the post as well?

I was luckier than you at any rate -- I found the knob in my case, replaced it, and all is back to normal.

Has anyone else gone through this? Think I can superglue the knob to prevent future problems?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I wonder if/what Alesis is doing to resolve that problem. I've been reading on the ION/Micron user group and I believe a few people have experienced that problem too. Obviously, if you gig and move it is when it happens. That's one way to kill sales of a great little bargain synth.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce

So, my Micron had a similar situation, but I was able to use all the features without the knob, but using the post. Did you lose the post as well?

I lost both the clear knob and the shaft. I ordered the part from Alesis and they only had the knob, just because the Ion has a similar knob. The shaft is a mystery part. I really wish it was made from metal and mounted to the chassis, rather than free-standing lightweight plastic.

Regards,

Eric

I took the Micron back to Guitar Center today. They were at first unwilling to do anything for me since I was beyond the 14 day Return window and I did not buy the Extended Warranty. Then they offered me the floor model Micron. I decided that I was going to gravitate away from the Micron since I had such early problems with it. Getting a floor model would not really help my cause in any event. After some discussion, they did agree to refund my money for store credit. So I have $400 to spend at GC and I think I'll wait until after NAMM to use it.

Regards,

Eric

that's really a shame. especially if you want to use that $400 for another synth/keyboard.

there's not much you can get new that comes anywhere close to the micron.

you could try a microkorg or maybe some kind of module.

except for those, about the only thing available is software. (unless you need some other accessory goodies).

I lost both the clear knob and the shaft. I ordered the part from Alesis and they only had the knob, just because the Ion has a similar knob. The shaft is a mystery part. I really wish it was made from metal and mounted to the chassis, rather than free-standing lightweight plastic.
The Ion's shaft is also plastic so I'm surprised they didn't offer you that. It must be a different impedance.

Eric:

Yeah that does suck. I would have called GC center immediately, rather than wait. But that's me. I hope I'm not faced with the same situation if I ever have to ship my ION somewhere for service. Although I bought it from Sweetwater, its my understanding that you have to ship it to a Alesis contract service company. I've read not so good reports on them. Units being returned to owners all scratched up. That wouldn't work for me. I would have to take a picture of it for proof. All these alternatives don't appeal to me. Unfortunetley, no one sells Alesis anywhere close to me, so I had to go Internet anyway.

At least GC gave an option other than "tough" once you got past the 14 window. They're going to be stuck with a dead Micron to ship back for replacement so its not like they're having a party with your money.

Mike T.

One other note...I was contacted directly by an Alesis product manager offering to help me rectify the situation. He apparently monitors the Yahoo Alesis group and I had a very nice email exchange with him. I had already taken back the Micron by this point.

Right now, I'm not sure what I want to do...I think I'll see what NAMM has to offer and what it does to prices on existing gear. I don't really *NEED* anything, but do enjoy having some flavor of VA in my rig. I also would not mind a Motif ES rack.

Regards,

Eric

It's always a shame when a great product turns out to be plagued by such a simple but fatal problem. It's unbelievable that with 100 years of knob manufacturing history to draw from, this is still a problem for some companies.

I wonder if they used a plastic shaft because they wanted to maintain the translucscent look of the clear knob? Obviously a metal shaft would have been stronger.

I may still get a Micron, keeping in mind that I need to be really careful with that knob.

Originally posted by eric:

I don't really *NEED* anything, but do enjoy having some flavor of VA in my rig.

Hey, I thought you were a Nord Lead 2X owner. Are you not liking that board, or am I confusing you with someone else?

r33k

Originally posted by Michael Erwin

Hey, I thought you were a Nord Lead 2X owner. Are you not liking that board, or am I confusing you with someone else?

Michael,

Good memory!

The VA synth in my rig has changed a lot of times for a variety of reasons...call me fickle, if you will. I had really been wanting the NL3 or G2, but what I was finding is that a number of my gigs did not have a large enough stage for 3 keyboards and so I was hardly getting to use my NL2x. I still have it, though eBayed to an overseas bidder and still waiting to ship it.

I got the Micron since it was so small and I can fit it on my 2-tier stand sitting on my S90 with some velcro. This way, if I get attached to a sound, I am never let down when the stage is too small to allow the VA synth to come with me. This may be short-lived, since I do like the longer keyboards and the Micron's is a bit diminuitive in size. I am bummed about the problem with the knob and now I am back on the prowl for another small synth. I may just stick with 2 keyboards and add a rack module or something.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by mildbill:

an editing program would solve the micron knob problem for most people;

and a motif ES rack with an AN plug-in board might solve eric's VA problem?

For some reason, Alesis are "unsure" as to whether or not they're going to release the midi implementation data. Talk about stupidity. Alesis hasn't included an editor with the Micron, so why not let third parties program one? The availability of editing programs would not only solve the problem, but would make the Micron a much more attractive purchase for a lot of people.

Archived