Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PA for small jazz combo

orangefunk

ANyone have any experience of these

http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/active/lucas_600/Lucas_600_system.gif

I'm starting a little band with me on piano, synth and a guy on vox and tabla... kinda jazzy/indan/fusion stuff.. I also have a drummer but he won't be going thru the PA...

What do you think

spec..

http://www.hkaudio.com/Portable/Active/lucas_600/

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Orangefunk,

I don't have any experience, but it looks almost identical to The Entertainer setup by dB Technologies. I was talked out of it by the company rep himself. Piezo tweeters must be pretty nasty. I wonder if these have the same?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by Quarryking:

What would the size of the venues you'd be playing in and what crowd sizes are expected?

I think probably only 70-125 people at most, anything bigger and there will usually be a larger PA anyway. So looking at the stats at HK they would seem ideal. The band will be a fairly low-medium volume affair

I considered the whole JBL thng but I like the look of these HKs in terms of size, look (they wont take up too much physical space, I saw a band play recently and the speakers took up 40% of the visual space) and concept... We used to use a 600W JBL in the last band and it sounded great, a little too big, powerful and heavy though for my liking... the IONs look a lot lighter :D

It's the legs of the pole stands that takes up the floor space. Those HK tops plus that heavy subwoofer will actualy take up more space than a pair of JBL EON15 G2's will.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Jazz+:

[QB]It's the legs of the pole stands that takes up the floor space. Those HK tops plus that heavy subwoofer will actualy take up more space than a pair of JBL EON15 G2's will. [QB]

I didn't really mean floor space, I meant visual space from the audience perspective, I always feel that those large cabs obscure performers.. I even saw Bebel Gilberto a few weeks back and all I could see was Bebel and the keyboard player. The other night was the same, small place, acoustic duos but nobody could see them unless they were head on with the stage...

I think the HK concept must be worth exploring, on the HK site theres a jazz guitarist who uses the HK Lucas 600 and he mentions he also puts a fender rhodes through it... maybe the Lucas 1000 might be the better option in the long run though..

Cheers

O

I'll be interested to know how you like them after you hear them. How much does that system cost?

Won't you need to put the speakers behind you so you can hear yourselves?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

The system is 600W for about £1000, but I think I have seen them for £800 in some places in Europe.

The amp is in the subwoofer so its all very nice and self contained. The whole thing folds into itself with the top speakers fitting into the subwoofer and it can be easily pushed around as the subwoofer has wheels.

I have some worries about the mid range but from what I've heard from other people they seem to be really great speakers...

I plan on only getting a small car so I have to think about space issues now... most gigs I play will be very small affairs. 50-75 people maybe. They recommend the LUCAS 1000 system for DJs so I reckon the 600s will be okay... 600W sounds a lot to me... I'm sure the last JBL system I used was 600W and that was damn loud!

As for monitors we are thinkign of trying to use the actual PA so we can mix ourselves, I used to do this years ago and it was fine until people started trying to pump up the volume to Mahavishnu levels then it got pretty bad.. saving that I do have a little keyboard amp anyway, or I can try the ear phone route which seems to be pretty popular now..

The band will be fairly quiet and more geared towards small gigs and pubs than clubs so I think it might just do...

Most of the places that are bigger have their own PA system anyway, although I've been disappointed with the JBLs and esp the "Box" speakers I've seen at some gigs recently... thats why I'm curoius to hear these newer types of systems.. they could be total crap for all I know... :D

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I'll be interested to know how you like them after you hear them. Are they powered? Maybe you can post the specs. How much does that system cost? They look like little drivers with a subwoofer which could mean you will get highs and lows without a lot in the middle. A full and clear mid range is very important for piano sounds.

Remember, sometimes people are willing to endorse gear because they got it for free.

Won't you need to put the speakers behind you so you can hear yourselves?

orangefunk...

I've run sound for a coffeehouse that uses the HK Audio speakers you've got displayed (similar model, if not the same...) They sound pretty nice across the board, and have held up well - they're used for about 3 shows a week, about 3-4 hours each show for three years...

These shows have been in the 70-120 audience size range you mentioned.. I think you'd be happy with these...

HK is not distributed in the USA and Canada.

Archived