Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple question about MIDI

Andre Lower

Hello there,

I am trying to control my TC Helicon VoiceLive from my keyboard (I have a Roland XP-30). I have mapped two individual keys in the keybed of the XP-30 to transmit (in MIDI Channel 16, which is the one VoiceLive is set up to receive) a specific pair of MIDI CCs I must. These are MIDI cc# 9 and 15, respectivelly STEP UP and STEP DOWN in VoiceLive MIDI specs.

The point is I do not know how to program my XP-30 so that whenever I hit these keys it actualy sends on the MIDI OUT port exactly cc# 9 and 15. How do I tell the XP-30 that these are the cc#s I want it to transmit? Can anybody instruct me?

BTW, I have already tried Roland User Support, with the already expected lack of an answer (they really strive to keep their user support reputation the worst in the market :mad: ...).

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert on the XP, but I don't think as a general rule that you can midi map keys to transmit CC messages. Keys typically transmit only note and velocity info, while programmable panel switches, sliders, knobs, and pedals transmit CC messages.

Maybe you could do this if you had a fancy midi mapper.

It's possible that the XP can be programmed to transmit the commands you need from some of the above-mentioned sources.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

What mate said. I'd use two of the 4 sliders. System control menu. Bummer ain't it?

I believe the only things that generally do the sort of programming you are thinking of, are midi remapping software programs on the PC's and Macs. Or a G2 might let you map notes to CC's also. But those are complicated solutions.

A hardware slider or knob box would the simplest thing.

Jerry

Originally posted by Tusker:

What mate said. I'd use two of the 4 sliders. System control menu. Bummer ain't it?

I believe the only things that generally do the sort of programming you are thinking of, are midi remapping software programs on the PC's and Macs. Or a G2 might let you map notes to CC's also. But those are complicated solutions.

A hardware slider or knob box would the simplest thing.

Jerry

EDIT: The CCs I need are actually 9 and 115 (Song Step Backward and Forward respectivelly). Now the crappy Roland sliders are configurable only fpr CCs 1 to 99, so there is no way to make any of them send CC#115! To make matters worse, they are sliders, not buttons. That means that when I assign CC9 to one of the sliders, even the slighest move makes the bloody slider transmit a huge jump in Song Steps, rendering it useless as a controller...The only alternative left would be assigning the CCs to one of the pedals, but then I already have the footswitches of my TC Helicon VoiceLive, and do not need another pedal.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Archived