Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sheezuzzz kryeeeest this midi is frustrating!

Stride

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stride:

channel this, channel that, I think i will just go out and find a hurdy gurdy to play and leave it at that.

Ah - but would that be the stringed instrument played with keys and a crank, or a barrel organ with a resident monkey?

channel this, channel that, I think i will just go out and find a hurdy gurdy to play and leave it at that.

I think maybe you are a poet, and don't even know it.

Just think of it like television...

You've got all these programs streaming down a single cable - you just need to set the TV to the right channel to view the program that you want, right? Synths are the same - you've got several channels of info streaming down a single MIDI cable - you just need to set the right instrument for each channel so that your bass part isn't triggering an oboe program. ;)

Back in the olden days, synths could only respond to one channel at a time (like TVs), so that was the manner in which you determined which of your synths responded to which part. Now, most synths have a "multi-timbral" mode where they can play multiple parts at the same time, which can be a bit confusing until you get a handle on it.

If you have questions, feel free to post them here and we'll try to help if we can. If, on the other hand, you're just doing Seuss-esque poetry, feel free to ignore this response entirely... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Just think of it like television...

You've got all these programs streaming down a single cable -

dB

Yes - but hopefully with MIDI they are a darn sight more interesting.

Oh, BTW. MIDI is TDM while the teev is FDM even though the actual content of the FDM is TDM.

you're not alone, Stride. I've spent the afternoon trying to convince my 1010 that it can handle bank change commands from the keyboard, and it's not cooperating! It's fun though. Beats standing around with a monkey in this weather.

So, the volume slider on the keyboard works to select a patch, but the (+) or (-) octave buttons do not, contrary to the manual. And I'm telling you, you've got to have the steady hands of a surgeon to land on the right number. By accident, I discovered I can select 1-127 by using the keyboard's 16 preset buttons. Why didn't they just say so? It can't be a coincidence. OR, maybe I've just screwed everything up after dicking around with MSB's and LSB's (could someone tell me what those letters actually stand for? Magic-Select-Bank? Lucky-Select-Bank??) Anyway, I'm a little confused as I figure I should be able to set each of the 4 zones on the keyboard to call up 4 different banks (using channel 10 for percussion of course :freak: ), but so far I can only get one bank up at a time. And wouldn't you know it, the sounds I'm most likely to use aren't combined on the same bank. Ahhh, editing. Well, I don't have the software CD.

I'm mumbling. I'll move any further comments off your thread. Good Luck to you and me both!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

MSB's and LSB's (could someone tell me what those letters actually stand for?
Most Significant Byte and Least Significant Byte (or Bit, depending on context.

Midi passes data one seven-bit number at a time, so each number can be between 0 and 127. To create a number larger than that, like for pitch bend, requires two (or more) numbers, just like it takes 2 numbers to go from 9 to 10.

When you wish to transmit this larger number, you must decide which number is sent first - the Most Significant Byte (the 'tens' place) or the Least Significant Byte (the 'Ones' place.)

HTH.

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Hi Soundsmith. TDH. (that's definitely helpful). My MIDI button (button?) uses slightly altered acronyms: CHN, PCH, BKM, BKL. Seems to me I didn't stick to that particular order, so I"ll try again.

Thanks!

BTW, I checked out your website. Is that your real haircolour, or are you just pretending to be another OSG? :cool:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived