Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Essential keyboard solos / pieces for the aspiring rock keyboardist

Tom Fiala

Here's one I just thought of: "Turn Down Day" by The Cyrkle. Smokin' piano solo.

Another nice piano solo in a more obscure tune is "Star" by Steeler's Wheel.

While you're at it, don't forget "Lovely Rita" by the Beatles.

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... And those choruses sung by so-o-o tired, "drunken" voice...

This song would get my vote for the most annoying song ever! (And The Doors - the most overrated band of all time! )

The time to hesitate is through

No time to wallow in the mire

Try to listen with some booze

Now your love for Doors makes you a liar

Please Vlady play Light my Fire

Play it now that Dave's been ....Fired

:rolleyes::D

Originally posted by Markyboard:

... And those choruses sung by so-o-o tired, "drunken" voice...

This song would get my vote for the most annoying song ever! (And The Doors - the most overrated band of all time! )

The time to hesitate is through

No time to wallow in the mire

Try to listen with some booze

Now your love for Doors makes you a liar

Play it now that Dave's been ....Fired

:rolleyes::D

:D:D
I am back.

Originally posted by BonGioviPlayer:

Did someone say DONT play RUNAWAY by Bon Jovi?

Arrgghhhhhhh

i`m in a BON JOVI Tribute Band!

have to play it EVERY gig ! poor me :(

oh well, it pays my bills :D

www.bongiovi.co.uk

www.wayneharris.co.uk

LOL! I play Jump on a regular basis and The Final Countdown at least once a year! it pays the bills..!

:cool:

Originally posted by Tusker:

I'll add some classic "piano songs" that a rock pianist needs to be able to play. Just because.

- Let it Be

- Hey Jude

- Live and Let Die

- Crocodile Rock

- Imagine

- Benny and the Jets

- Peanuts

Jerry

Peanuts? Do you mean *Linus and Lucy* ?

OK, now that we have this awesome list, should we:

1) make our own compilation of transcription files to be shared among forum users;

2) see if Keyboard mag will start printing "classic transcriptions" again, like they did a number of years ago;

3) other suggestions?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Wanna set your audience ablaze with a rock tune full of keyboard? Play Deep Purple's "Pictures of Home". I honestly don't know why this tune is not more frequently remembered. Talk about simmering Hammond licks.

Though I also love synths, this list is missing some more non-synth stuff. So let me suggest any of Queen's piano masterpieces, like for instance "Don't Stop Me Now" - killer! And of course Stevie's Clav antics on "Superstition". Oh boy, I can't get enough of it...

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

1) make our own compilation of transcription files to be shared among forum users;

2) see if Keyboard mag will start printing "classic transcriptions" again, like they did a number of years ago;

3) other suggestions?

I really like the idea of sharing transcriptions, Tom. Moderators, would it be possible to have a thread where we all could "contribute" our transcriptions? How would copyright laws affect this?

One solo I have not seen mentioned yet is the short organ break in "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas.

By the way Tom, how goes the Smokin' solo?

Cheers,

Canoehead

Originally posted by canoehead:

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

3) other suggestions?

I really like the idea of sharing transcriptions, Tom. Moderators, would it be possible to have a thread where we all could "contribute" our transcriptions? How would copyright laws affect this?

One solo I have not seen mentioned yet is the short organ break in "Carry on Wayward Son" by Kansas.

By the way Tom, how goes the Smokin' solo?

Cheers,

Canoehead

If that's what you want to do, I would highly recommend that we contribute original solo exceprts from our own compositions. No legal problems there.

Carl

Originally posted by Hartmann:

Wanna set your audience ablaze with a rock tune full of keyboard? Play Deep Purple's "Pictures of Home". I honestly don't know why this tune is not more frequently remembered. Talk about simmering Hammond licks.

Though I also love synths, this list is missing some more non-synth stuff. So let me suggest any of Queen's piano masterpieces, like for instance "Don't Stop Me Now" - killer! And of course Stevie's Clav antics on "Superstition". Oh boy, I can't get enough of it...

I definitely second that Deep Purple song, and like that Queen song (I'm not cultured enough to have heard Superstition and therefore shall not render an opinion). What's even cooler than leaning and performing don't stop me now, is learning with a four piece band that can all sing, and performing Bohemian Rhapsody live. Not even Queen attempted that, they'd always sing the part after the a capella intro, play the studio section in the middle (while having a lights show of course) and sing the end.

Originally posted by Immordino:

Originally posted by Hartmann:

[qb] Not even Queen attempted that, they'd always sing the part after the a capella intro, play the studio section in the middle (while having a lights show of course) and sing the end.

There's a band here in Italy...they only play covers in big venues. They're five, they all sing and they give the audience an amazing (AMAZING) full live version of Bohemian Rhapsody from beginnig to end, with no samples or backing parts. Their show is incredible...commercial enough for chicks but complicate enough to fill musicians with envy :)

Check them out at www.rad1.it

Not only that link didn't work, it locked up my computer! I'd like to hear the group, but you need to check the link.

Thanks,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Not only that link didn't work, it locked up my computer! I'd like to hear the group, but you need to check the link.

Thanks,

Mike T.

You're right, I'm sorry, but it worked perfectly yesterday. I must admit though that I couldn't find theri Bohemian R. versione on their home-page. It's a great band but they should hire a better webmaster... ;-)

Funeral for a Friend- EJ

Led Boots And Live Freeway Jam Solo -Jan Hammer

In The Cage and the rest of that epic from Three Sides Live- Tony Banks

Frankenstien; If you play synths, you've gotta know...

School- Supertramp

Feel Like We Do -Frampton Comes Alive

Aspiring rock keyboardist.....hmmm.

You could break it into levels as well as genre within the genres. Example

Novice to Intermediate: 1950's - Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Happy Organ by Dave "Baby" Cortez

1960's - Del Shannon "Runaway", The Beatles - Not A Second Time, Booker T and the MG's - Green Onions, Santana - Evil Ways

1970's - Statesboro Blues - The Allman Bros,

You get the idea...

Archived