Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For prog fans only...

Gulliver

Got a few spare minutes?

Take a look at this poll and vote!

The best progressive rock albums of 2004

The good thing is that you can vote for as many albums as you wish, not just one. :thu:

For instance, I voted for these:

Ahvak Ahvak

Chroma Key Graveyard Mountain Home

Dreadnaught Musica En Flagrante

Happy The Man The Muse Awakens

Hidria Spacefolk Balansia

IQ - Dark Matter

Karmakanic - Wheel of Life

Magenta Seven

Neal Morse One

Talisma - Corpus

Have fun... :)

I am back.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Gulliver! Ya' know, I just tried to register on the HTM message board, but the password was never sent to my email address. I tried re-registering under a different name after that, but still haven't received an email response (it's been about 2 hours). Now, I can't even post as odyssian (as a guest), since it sees me as a member and wants a login.

I wonder if other people wanting to register are having the same problem. I sent an email to the member "befrost" asking if he could pass along the info to the relevent person/s.

I haven't been following any of the todays progressive rock bands, except some RadioHead stuff perhaps. Vlad, i'm thinking i might check on some from your list, to see what's going on in this genre lately, um.. 25 yrs later.

but, can you tell me which ones today are closer to 'impressionist' kinda 70s vision of progressive (like Genesis, Yes, Saga and others were), and as far away from the the progrock/metal cross sub-genre that i can't stand??

i mean, i'm not looking for exact imitation of the 70s bands, i'm thinking stuff with the similar philosophy and aesthetics in music they make. i dont care for playing pyrotehnics if that all there is to it. just beautiful artful music.

any recommendations?

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Tomislav, there are no prog-metal bands on that list of mine.

For instance, Ahvak is a new killer avant-prog band. Their self-titled debut undeniably is the most challenging from the bunch and is more like contemporary chamber music played with rock instruments. (And it rocks too!)

Chroma Key is the project of the ex-Dream Theater keyboard player Kevin More, yet it sounds nothing like DT - it's a very atmospheric, modern sounding (dark pop) band.

Happy The Man is the only band on my list which came from the 70's... The Muse Awakens is their wonderful reunion album. I would call their style as "melodic prog-fusion". They have been compared to Camel, but personally I think their stuff is much more involved and intricate (and overall better!).

Hidria Spacefolk plays instrumental "space-prog-ethno-fusion" and is quite similar to Ozric Tentacles in this regard.

Dreadnaught... This one is hard to categorize... It's quite Zappa'esque, quirky, fun yet not silly. In their owns words the style they play is called "progabilly". Quite inventive and unusual, that's for sure.

Talisma's sound could be described again like "melodic prog-fusion", but they also incorporate some tasty Crimsonic dissonances in their music... I like them!

The remaining four releases by IQ, Karmakanic, Magenta and Neal Morse probably are the most 70's sounding (and close to that "classic" prog sound of Genesis and Yes), but I can easily forgive them this because they are very good nonetheless! :)

Hope these short descriptions would be helpful for you. :)

I am back.

As dB and some others here know, I work with Happy the Man. We're finishing up our first run of live shows this Friday in Annapolis, MD.

Certainly no prog-metal here. HTM is a keyboard based prog with guitar and sax.

Odyssian - "Befrost" othwise known as Peppe, runs the Happy The Fans forum. He is the person to contact about logon issues.

Originally posted by clusterchord:

i mean, i'm not looking for exact imitation of the 70s bands, i'm thinking stuff with the similar philosophy and aesthetics in music they make. i dont care for playing pyrotehnics if that all there is to it. just beautiful artful music.

any recommendations?

I really like the Transatlantic DVD- "Bridge Across Europe" and their CD "Bridge Across Forever". It is old school style prog with a little Beatles influence.

Originally posted by SteveRB:

I really like the Transatlantic DVD- "Bridge Across Europe" and their CD "Bridge Across Forever". It is old school style prog with a little Beatles influence.

Sure, Transatlantic is great and is a "must have" for any self-respecting prog fan! :)
I am back.

any recommendations?

Of the few current prog bands that I know of, I would say IQ would fit the bill, given your description. I really like them a lot. Happy the Man is a bit more daring, and at times even quirky (in a good way though!). Any of their albums would be a great pick, imo. Especially if you're looking from something that goes a bit further (musically speaking) than the stereotypical prog band.

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Odyssian - "Befrost" othwise known as Peppe, runs the Happy The Fans forum. He is the person to contact about logon issues.

Thanks, Tinder. I've got it all sorted out now. :)

And if anyone is curious about Happy the Man, check 'em out at:

http://www.happytheman.com

and the fan's forum:

http://htfo.proboards10.com/index.cgi

G

What kind of setlist is HTM playing lately? I saw them at NEARFest 2000 (then in Maryland's Recher Theater later that summer) and treasured those performances--they have rightfully re-established themselves as one of the pillars of prog rock.

However, I have been curious to find out how their 2004 set differs from the one they played when they first came back in 2000. Are they playing some new material that wasn't around in 2000, as well as new material beyond what's on the new album?

Since they stick so close to their album performances (impressive as that is), and they only have a few albums to play from (classics as they all may be), I haven't felt that it has been "essential" to see them again, but I can be convinced otherwise! I only make it out to one or two live performances a year, because of a 2-year old at home!

Thanks so much!

Ben

The Annapolis set list -

Contemporary Insanity

Steaming Pipes

The Muse Awakens

Steppin' Thru Time

Open Book

Lunch at the Psychedelicatessen

Shadowlites

Ibby It Is

Maui Sunset

I Forgot to Push It

Barking Spiders

Il Quinto Mare

Wind Up Doll Day Wind

Knee Bitten Nymphs in Limbo

Service With a Smile

Stumpy Meets the Firecracker in Stencil Forest

but, can you tell me which ones today are closer to 'impressionist' kinda 70s vision of progressive (like Genesis, Yes, Saga and others were), and as far away from the the progrock/metal cross sub-genre that i can't stand?? i'm not looking for exact imitation of the 70s bands, i'm thinking stuff with the similar philosophy and aesthetics in music they make. i dont care for playing pyrotehnics if that all there is to it. just beautiful artful music.

any recommendations?

welll....i could humbly point you towards a friend with whom i try to help do just about that....more towards the Lamb-era Genesis stuff i guess (in our dreams :( , minus the talent :o , etcetc....) at any rate, our 3rd album should be out relatively soon on a little UK label (Cyclops)... http://flickertista.com/producthome.html

to me, OK Computer is the most recent to-be-classic prog album in the Lamb vein. to be honest, waaaay too many of the 'underground' prog bands i check out come off like C grade copies of the bands that have already done it right 20-30 years ago...but then again (for ex.) i never liked Marillion at all (only have heard the Fish years really, and felt they were a bad Genesis rip) so it's all personal taste, right?

but there's certainly many folks out there, including plenty of guys under 30, who know and love these styles, and are attempting to do it their own way. an original voice is always the most precious commodity and hardest thing to achieve though, seems to me....

:wave:

Archived