Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Battle of the babies...

JimmyJimJim

So i finally got a decent play on a little Microkorg and i reckon it rocks! and its so dirt cheap i would go buy one straight away BUT i've been hearing about these Alesis Microns. just wondering if you guys can think of any good reason i should get a micron instead! a few things...

1) i don't really mind the little keys... i so thought i would hate em but i'm only playing lead and bass lines, with 4 notes poly i'm hardly gonna go hard with both hands!

2) are the ion/micron base wave forms/effects/filters etc. officially superior in any way or is that pretty much down to preference? i won't be able to get a play on the Micron for some time, tried an Ion ages ago but can't exactly compare it with the korg side by side

3) does the ion outdo the korg much in terms of advanced functions? i'm a bit of a synth noob so it won't matter for now but i don't wanna find that it doesn't do all this stuff down the track.

4) and anything else you can think of.

I know some of this stuff has been vaguely covered but i couldn't find any straight comparisons between the two, feel free to cross-reference me if u want!

Cheers for any response...

JJJ

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sir Jeebus:

Programmability, features, oscillator sound, filters, you name it.

...polyphony...mod matrix...doesn't the MicroKorg only have two oscillators per voice?

That being said, it's all about the sound, not the specs. The Junos only have one oscillator per voice and extremely limited programmability/routings, and people love them...although I wonder if they'd love them as much without the chorus circuit... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

best advice: go play a Micron or Ion (same sound engine), and you'll see for yourself.

imho its more versatile, 8 voices poly - however they might seem insignificant now, down the road they will matter. more flexible voice arhitecture, mod matrix and especially filters. also, the core sound of oscillators is much smoother , less digital, better in emulating analog types sounds. Resonance on VA is something i always have trouble with - and i really dislike the Korg sound of it, Ion/Micron are doing more musical (if not perfect) job here.

btw, check these 2 threads with exact same choice discussion on HC forum:

microkorg vs. micron??

microkorg vs micron

for starters you might check several great ion/micron demos on the HC KSS Synth demo page, under 'VA/Wavetable' section - link is in my signature below. that will give you a good idea of its capabilities.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Yeah i kinda expected as much (although i still think the korg rocks... i fell asleep with it last nite! and it looks hilariously kewl.) a few things tho...

1) what do you mean by programmability? i understood that the korg was way easier to edit from the panel... (and it looks like it from the pics) or do u just mean capacity?

2) agreed a third oscillator is a big diff (and a step closer to moog style sounds)

3) double the polyphony iirc but doesn't 8 voices still max out pretty quick if ur playing pretty pads and stuff?

4) is the microkorg actually missing any important waveforms? or are the oscillators on the alesis just higher quality?

5) i don't even know wot the hell the mod matrix is... :P

6) Mu, the vocoder is hilariously good fun, but i must admit my vocoder knowledge goes about as far as Herbie Hancock's hideous disco/'hiphop' stuff. It seems ok but i was really just messing round with it; the mic it comes with is real budget as you would expect and it doesn't have an xlr input.

7) What's the action like on the alesis, is it an inferior kinda crappy feel (eg. the triton le. compared to the original?) opinion i know...

Cheers for your patience guys! I know it's useless trying to comprehend the sound of a 'board without tryin it out for urself, but please understand that where i live (sunny New Zealand) it will be a mission to actually get hold of and test a micron! if i was convinced of it's goodness though i would just order one in... btw am i right in guessing the micron costs about 20% more than the korg?

The End (for now)

Yeah i kinda expected as much (although i still think the korg rocks... i fell asleep with it last nite! and it looks hilariously kewl.) a few things tho...

1) what do you mean by programmability? i understood that the korg was way easier to edit from the panel... (and it looks like it from the pics) or do u just mean capacity?

2) agreed a third oscillator is a big diff (and a step closer to moog style sounds)

3) double the polyphony iirc but doesn't 8 voices still max out pretty quick if ur playing pretty pads and stuff?

4) is the microkorg actually missing any important waveforms? or are the oscillators on the alesis just higher quality?

5) i don't even know wot the hell the mod matrix is... :P

6) Mu, the vocoder is hilariously good fun, but i must admit my vocoder knowledge goes about as far as Herbie Hancock's hideous disco/'hiphop' stuff. It seems ok but i was really just messing round with it; the mic it comes with is real budget as you would expect and it doesn't have an xlr input.

7) What's the action like on the alesis, is it an inferior kinda crappy feel (eg. the triton le. compared to the original?) opinion i know...

Cheers for your patience guys! I know it's useless trying to comprehend the sound of a 'board without tryin it out for urself, but please understand that where i live (sunny New Zealand) it will be a mission to actually get hold of and test a micron! if i was convinced of it's goodness though i would just order one in... btw am i right in guessing the micron costs about 20% more than the korg?

The End (for now)

Archived