Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UK phone tone emulation help

Phait

I need to emulate or find a sample of the UK calling tone. I've called overseas before, and if I'm right it is like a sine wave, generally like this pattern:

*beep beep* (pause.....) *beep beep* (pause....)

Now, it's been awhile since I really heard it, and I want it to be accurate. Would anyone happen to know what frequency or note the tone is, and the general duration of each segment?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know anybody in the UK? Why not call them up and record the tone?

Or just call a random number and hope that nobody picks up for a while. Try a business number at nighttime (keep in mind the time difference). Perhaps a Pizza Service or something that is unlikely to have an answering machine.

That is of course assuming that you won't mind the dirty quality of the recording (static and all), but that might just be what you're after.

"Ya gots to work with what you gots to work with". - Stevie Wonder

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Get a copy of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". You can hear that tone at the end of the song "Young Lust", IIRC. The song's fade out may run over it, though...

dB

Try two tones, bandpass filtered square waves, one whole step apart - Gb and Ab above middle C.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Get a copy of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". You can hear that tone at the end of the song "Young Lust", IIRC. The song's fade out may run over it, though...

I was right - the fade out of "Young Lust" does prevent lifting it cleanly on that song....however, there's a very clean and easy to lift instance on the same album right before the song "Mother".

dB

Originally posted by Phait:

I need to emulate or find a sample of the UK calling tone. I've called overseas before, and if I'm right it is like a sine wave, generally like this pattern:

*beep beep* (pause.....) *beep beep* (pause....)

Now, it's been awhile since I really heard it, and I want it to be accurate. Would anyone happen to know what frequency or note the tone is, and the general duration of each segment?

The standard UK ring tone is in 5/4 time, with two equal duration "rings" or tones, and then 3 'beats' of silence. However, this may no longer always be the case. For a BT line, though, the sound to the person dialling the number will be pretty much the same. The sound heard by the recipient will of course vary according to their phone.

Could you somehow get your internal modem to dial a UK number and divert the sound to some sort of recorder (on a PC, windows sound recorder might even do this?)

Just my thoughts. Can't think of the exact tempo right now and it's late so I am not going to call anyone! :)

I was right - the fade out of "Young Lust" does prevent lifting it cleanly on that song....however, there's a very clean and easy to lift instance on the same album right before the song "Mother".

dB

That's it!

BTW: I was trying to find you a Continental European telephone ringtone but so far no luck..

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

i still like the idea of calling somebody up..

011 44 1695 584511 is the phone number for a common room in a former girlfriend's dormitory hall... it usually goes unanswered for a while so you could have time to get the rings recorded.

Archived