Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your thoughts on ABBA`s music?

Beatnik

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. as a mature adult, I'm able to recognize and offer kudos to players who represent the most successful makers of a particular genre of music (even if I don't particularly care for that genre). So, I say ABBA was a world-class pop act, production and such was great for the times.

Now, famed rock guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, in the early 80's. said he enjoyed listening to ABBA. Was this another example of Blackmore's "unique" wit, or was it true? I'm not sure.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by gangsu:

sure, nice quote coming from the first person on this thread to argue someone else's opinion!?

Did i argue anyones opinion? Please show me where. I´m quite sure I wrote "That´s an opinion". In my first post, I stated that I´m not a big ABBA fan, and I´m not posting in defense of them or anything. :confused:

Originally posted by Analogaddict:

Did i argue anyones opinion? Please show me where. I´m quite sure I wrote "That´s an opinion". In my first post, I stated that I´m not a big ABBA fan, and I´m not posting in defense of them or anything. :confused:

Geez, that "confusion" smilie breaks my heart every time I see it. It makes me feel so bad for being critical.

Maybe we're splitting hairs. You took offense to gb's presentation, and found his description so well stated and apparently conclusive, that you felt the need to point out that it was just an opinion. Is that correct?

He's right you know. ;) Their music is excessive in every regard. There's just no space left unfilled. Have fun dammit, now! I will confess that I'd rather listen to Raffi. Thanks for giving me another opportunity to make that perfectly clear.

Let me add that when you speak, I listen. :cool:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Geez, that "confusion" smilie breaks my heart every time I see it. It makes me feel so bad for being critical.

I just didn´t see it myself. Now I do. :D Better?

Maybe we're splitting hairs. You took offense to gb's presentation, and found his description so well stated and apparently conclusive, that you felt the need to point out that it was just an opinion. Is that correct?

Almost; like stated above, I´m not a big abba fan myself. I just disagree with the suicide and wife-beating bit, and espescially the nazi bit. Maybe it´s a bit inappropriate since one of the group members is from Norway, which was occupied by the nazis.

He's right you know. ;) Their music is excessive in every regard. There's just no space left unfilled. Have fun dammit, now! I will confess that I'd rather listen to Raffi. Thanks for giving me another opportunity to make that perfectly clear.

Let me add that when you speak, I listen. :cool:

...and when YOU speak I listen! :thu: Raffi? I have to check that out, is it a person or a group??? :confused::rolleyes::D

I've got a few of their albums, originally vinyl, now CD.

/me searches for Partridge Family and Archies lps
I've also got some of these on CD!

Archies on CD! Now THAT got me excited when I found it! But Archies should be in their own thread... :love:

"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

hey Analogaddict, don't encourage me.

Rankly, ooh interesting typo! I mean, frankly, that GB is probably so zoned out on the big picture most of the time that he gets a bit impatient dealing with the real world. He's either pulling the plug or sticking his finger in the dyke. He's colourful. I like having him around.

Group Hug. :D

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

This isn't the real world anyay, though sometimes we may lose sight of that ; }

The bandwidth has a way to go yet. And I do not look forward to having all "thoughts" shared with me when that day comes ; }

BTW: Bassist phenom Matt Garrison's (like phather, like son!) keyboard guys are well worth checking out. Garrison is doing indy releases of both his CDs and his CD/DVD package. Highly recommended for those who know the world does not end or begin with saccharine. These players and tunes are just what the doctor ordered.

Great melodies and song structures that have stood the test of time...its' really really hard to write simple but immortal music. Seamless integration of synths into the music fabric...again, very hard to do...example: SOS.

Well produced pop. A little syrupy for my liking. But often good keyboard work and pleasant harmonies. My younger sisters loved them - and played their records endlessly growing up. :freak:

However, their material is obviously loved by many, as shown by the recent success of the abba-themed musical in London and Vegas.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Never a fan of ABBA stuff but you have to admit it is well written and orchestrated pop music played by musicians - great vocals and harmonies too. Also, I think ABBA were the first to do the pop video style with a "story" behind the track - commonplace now.

I like the story of Pete Townsend of The Who approaching Benny(?) of ABBA at a party and delivering the line "Hey Benny, Winner Takes It All - best pop song ever written!" and then disappearing back into the crowd!

Nord Electro 3

Roland JV-90

I hated them in their heyday. Then, long after they had crossed into camp ("Priscilla of the Desert," anyone?) I spent some time with ABBA Gold and decided that I'm quite fond of them. Though I try to think for myself most of the time, I have to admit that Elvis Costello's endorsement didn't hurt either. He's turned me on to a lot of music that not's exactly up my alley in terms of lyrics, production, and socio-cultural vibe ;)

Despite all the glitz and gloss, their songs are for the most part really sad and melancholic. My favorite of theirs is "Knowing Me, Knowing You." Try doing that solo acoustic sometime. It's a lovely song.

BTW, for a weird Indie take on the ABBA thang check out Stephin Merritt's band Magnetic Fields. Some of that stuff is bloody brilliant.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• 2 weeks later...
They were well "crafted" pop songs but the melodies and harmonies seemed mundane or trite to me, lacking in tension and release. I rarely heard anything I would consider soulful in their music. Their voices seemed to lack an individual character. Their music came across as somewhat shallow and not on the same artistic level as The Beatles.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Jazz+:

They were well "crafted" pop songs but the melodies and harmonies seemed mundane or trite to me, lacking in tension and release. I rarely heard anything I would consider soulful in their music.

Lacking in tension and release? What songs have you heard? Listen to Happy New Year and tell me a pop chart hit with more modulations, tension and release. Perhaps not too soulful, the music industry is so much better at that today.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

Their voices seemed to lack an individual character. Their music came across as somewhat shallow and not on the same artistic level as The Beatles.

...so if you´re not on par with the Beatles, you´re no good? Tell me, do you pursue a music career because you´re as good as Keith Jarret or Bill Evans? Because - with the reasoning above - otherwise there´s really no reason, is there? ;)

Archived