Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your thoughts on ABBA`s music?

Beatnik

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's pretty amazing that they pulled off singing in English without understanding it. Imagine if the situation was reversed for you- Learn all your material in Russian or something. I'm not a real fan of their stuff but I'd rather listen to "Take a Chance on Me" than be a bass player in a country band. :D

In the seventies I truely hated them. I was more into Stevie Wonder (songs in the key of life), Queen, and some punkrock as well.

But when I listen to ABBA's records today, I must confess I was wrong. What they did with synthesizers was great. Vocal harmonies where perfect too. Great songs. Timeless music.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Chip Curtis:

I think it's pretty amazing that they pulled off singing in English without understanding it. Imagine if the situation was reversed for you- Learn all your material in Russian or something.

I think that´s a myth. Most swedes study english in school from the third grade. Perhaps they were not fluent in english, but I´m sure they understood what was to be understood about the lyrics. The lyrics are really swedish sounding, you can tell that they were not written by an american or an englishman. When I was in my teens, I HATED Abba, lately I´ve become more aware of how well crafted their songs are, and the productions are just great. I don´t spend any time listening to them. but I do enjoy playing the stuff!

:cool:

Growing up Abba was one of my two favourite groups, I am not going to even mention the other one before I will never be taken seriously in the future :-), but what PIM said, I think the keyboard parts and the vocal harmonies were/are phenomenal.

richard sven

sound sculptist

Their vocals are cloying and the arrangements for them are overwrought/produced. They and their ilk are probably a big contributor to suicide and drug and family abuse during the cold winter months in Iceland and other Scandas.

From this Something Awful pictorial of various albums/bands (a what if the name relfected the contents exposition):

http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/07-23-04-albums/Pure_Manhood.jpg

Originally posted by greenboy:

Their vocals are cloying and the arrangements for them are overwrought/produced.

That´s an opinion...

They and their ilk are probably a big contributor to suicide and drug and family abuse during the cold winter months in Iceland and other Scandas.

If you´re trying to joke, why not clarify it with a smilie? Otherwise you may come across as somewhat unfriendly...

From this Something Awful pictorial of various albums/bands (a what if the name relfected the contents exposition):

http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/07-23-04-albums/Pure_Manhood.jpg

...or just plain hostile.

And FYI Iceland is not a part of Scandinavia.

greenboy: Their vocals are cloying and the arrangements for them are overwrought/produced.

Analogaddict: That´s an opinion...

Well, DUH! What else would it be? - That's what most forum talk is. Again: DUH!

Analogaddict: And FYI Iceland is not a part of Scandinavia.
Did I say Scandanavia? Hur hur hur. smilies smilies smilie. I thought I said Scanda, a shortcut way to identify the origin of its main settlers, in a satirical sort of way.

... Let me state again: abba SUX. Flat out SUX! (smilies smilies smilies. For the barely literate.)

SMILIE ; }

I think it was/is very clever pop music. They put about as much adventure into it as the context allowed. Bear in mind that their audience probably extended younger and older than the average rock band. At the time they were big, I was too "hip" to like them.

Jerry

They are horrible!

Right now mittens there to the left is on his way to go take them out. This is no joke or otherwise there would smilie faces everywhere. So, if you happen to know them I wouldn't be standing next to them.

Good melodies, nice songcraft. I prefer the later stuff, specifically the last album 'The Visitors' which has some terrific production and a little bit heavier material.

Yeah, there's some crap in the catalog. But I think the good outweighs the bad.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

I can't help bashing them. Though I won't usually even think about them, and often keep my mouth shut if someone deos remind me they exist. I never tried to hate them. As many times as I heard them, only a bit here and a bit there would seem like the way I like music to be. Sorry.

Rock guitarists see keyboardists and think, "I'll just bet that guy with the doubleknits hitched up to his armpits likes ABBA. Time to give a wedgie."

:rolleyes: , which honestly would be more appropriate here in the keyboard corner than your keyboardist-bashing.

As for ABBA - pure pop, really great pop songwriting and arrangements.

I'm surprised that they've sworn they will not reunite, not even for a one-night gig or any amount of money (and I've read that they've turned down many lucrative offers). Of course, that's easy to do when you still have careers.

Did I bash keyboardists when referring to ABBA? I think not. I bashed the production and arrangements of the vocals mostly. THEN I took a light jab at keyboard nerds and gutarist D00dz (and only the nerdly and D00dly ones). Are you one? ...Sorry ; }

...It's funny, once an issue is a hotbutton for someone they can no longer read what was written - they read what they want to think was written ; }

Archived