Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

garageband vs protools le (m-audio vs digidesign)

Michiel

Can you help me decide what to do:

I have an emac 1,25 / 768 / 30 gb.

Should I buy a Digidesign M Box with protools le or buy an m-audio 410 and use garageband?

My main purpose is to play (record) a sampled piano (ivory, pmi boserdorfer...) and record some voices.

My concern is latency. Is protools a much more efficient program than Garageband?

Or would the sound interface be the main thing to worry about?

Thanks!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by michielOSX30:

Can you help me decide what to do:

I have an emac 1,25 / 768 / 30 gb.

Should I buy a Digidesign M Box with protools le or buy an m-audio 410 and use garageband?

My main purpose is to play (record) a sampled piano (ivory, pmi boserdorfer...) and record some voices.

My concern is latency. Is protools a much more efficient program than Garageband?

Or would the sound interface be the main thing to worry about?

Thanks!!!

Ivory alone takes up 30 gigs.

And you should have 2 gigs of RAM for it to really work well. (It says 512meg on the box, but don't believe it)

The FW410 will give you much lower latency than the M-Box (USB).

The main thing to worry about, if you really want to use Ivory is having enough RAM and drive space. It sounds like you need more than you have in both cases.

Thanks Steady B,

I read your'e quite satisfied with the piano in the jampack 1?

COuld galaxy steinway be a beter option in terms of cpu hadeling and latency ( I'll upgrade to 1 gig of ram).

And do you now if garageband itslef takes a lot of cpu when used as a sequencer alone?

Greetz

Michiel

Garage Band likes RAM. :)

More is better.

Re: Ivory... don't get me wrong, I got a chance to really check out and play Ivory before my Thursday night Logic clinic in San Diego at Pro Sound and Music, and it is by far the best sounding and playing sampled piano I have ever played.

It's stunning. But you need to have enough horses to drive it properly,

And yes, I like the Jam Pack 1"Classical Piano" very much. It's a Bosen and around a gig of samples. The Ivory uses 10 for each of the 3 main pianos, hence around 30 gig total.

Based on your system, the Jam Pack 1 pianos should be very good for you, but add more RAM if you can, it'll make everything run a bit better.

Archived