Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vangelis scores "Alexander"!

twbrzkdm007

The meister of classic-electro bombast is at it again, and I must say -- despite simplistic chord progressions, tons of reverb and ethereal choir, strings and harps ad nauseum -- I kinda like the soundtrack. I think they got the right composer for this kind of movie.

At http://www.alexandersoundtrack.com/ you can view a short movie interview with Vangelis talking about the score (you can clearly see his CS80 among other stuff). Can anybody identify those numerous boxes above his keyboards? Are they like step sequencers? I know Vangelis doesn't really use a computer sequencer a la Logic but instead preferes improvising a "live" performance. I also saw those same boxes when Vangelis performed his "Mythodea" concerts that I saw on PBS a few years ago.

Anybody heard the soundtrack? What do you think? Anybody have any idea what those boxes are?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't answer you questions per se but re:"simplistic", etc., my recollection is that his older work had that characteristic...though there's nothing wrong with simple, direct music; it can be quite effective.

BTW, d'ya think the Greek heritage added any empathetic depth?

I have a real soft spot for Vangelis. I consider to this day his Blade Runner soundtrack to be perhaps the ultimate soundtrack I have ever heard. What he does very well is create music that suits its context very well, meaning that if he composes for a movie, the music serves the picture foremost. Simplistic isn't necessarily bad. In the case of Alexander, he has created some very catchy themes that you will hum afterwards but if you analyze the notes and chords, it's pretty "simple" harmonically but then so is Mozart's music. One thing the music does not lack is character! I think Vangelis' heritage also had something to do with him being chosen to compose the score. I just hope the movie itself holds up.

Originally posted by twbrzkdm007:

I have a real soft spot for Vangelis. I consider to this day his Blade Runner soundtrack to be perhaps the ultimate soundtrack I have ever heard. What he does very well is create music that suits its context very well, meaning that if he composes for a movie, the music serves the picture foremost. Simplistic isn't necessarily bad. In the case of Alexander, he has created some very catchy themes that you will hum afterwards but if you analyze the notes and chords, it's pretty "simple" harmonically but then so is Mozart's music. One thing the music does not lack is character! I think Vangelis' heritage also had something to do with him being chosen to compose the score. I just hope the movie itself holds up.

All I have to do is mention Chariots of Fire and everyone will instantly have that song stuck in their head...ehehe sorry :)

Archived