Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT ... bad week

Dave Horne

A few nights ago our cat came in from outside with her paws covered with what looked like tar. A trip to the vet, cat put under, paws cleaned, that's that. A bit of a hassle, some housing cleaning to do, but that problem is now behind us.

I just received a call from my wife that our two and half year old van was just stolen. Her bike was in the van along with the bike key and a house key so we will have to have the house locks changed as well.

I have to play Saturday but it's an acoustic job so I won't need a van to schlep my equipment.

What a pain in the ass. The problem over here is the car usually goes across several borders when it is stolen so the chance of finding it is very low. I assume this was done by a pro as a VW Transporter can not be very attractive for a kid.

I won't lose any sleep over this, but it will create some hassles in the short term.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, no no... that's not that bad...

During the hurricanes that hits Florida, first the people running from the weather had to contend with littel or no gas on crowded highways. Then they had to live in their cars/vans while they were here because they couldn't check into hotels with their pets nor could they leave them behind. The shelters were full and so were most places to stay, so some people were living in parking lots in their cars/vans with their kids, dogs and cats. Then, while they were trying to eat or shower somewhere, car thieves would steal their vehicles which were full of many of the important papers and things they wanted to save from the hurricanes.

Stranded away from home with your kids and pets, and your car or van is stolen along with your insurance papers and bank records, and you can't go home or go to a shelter or a hotel and you didn't know for how long... that's a bad week...

Sorry to hear it, Dave! I assume insurance in Europe is the same as in the States...big hassle, but you finally get a replacement. Sorry to hear about the house key, though...it's always scary knowing that someone has your keys.

"For instance" is not proof.

I think it's important to look on the bright side and realize that your wife wasn't in the van when it was stolen.

You can replace the van. You can buy a new bike. I would think that it would be very difficult indeed to replace you lifelong partner who is probably your best friend as well.

Now go play some music. Compose. Write it down or record it. Something good's gotta come out of this.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I went through the same thing a year ago. It was stolen in Nov. and the insurance company didn't sign off 'till April. I feel your pain,bro. I had to make payments on it for several months while they were dicking around with me. The payments were $550 a month. The cops found it a few months after it was stolen and it was trashed. Totally fucked. The leather seats had burn marks where someone had taken the cigarette lighter and burned little circles on them. There were dents on every panel, the wheels were gone, and the motor was fried.

Me too Dave - sorry for your misfortune. Having something stolen sucks. I went about 30 years without having anything stolen. I was 15 when my 10 speed bike was taken and then about 3 months ago the kitten that I was number 1 on the list to adopt got stolen from the pound (run by Fairfax County police dept). I couldnt believe it. They had to hold the kitten one week to make sure no one would claim it. I took my kids to visit him twice. The day before I was to pick him up I get a message to call - it didnt sound good. Now I'm thinking it has some disease or illness. When I got a hold of them the morning I was supposed to pick him up they told me someone pryed the locked cage door open and walked out with it. I had to go there and see it for myself. I questioned 3 employees who all gave me the same story. I was very suspicious that someone who worked there wanted it. I even asked them how often this happens and they said someone stole a dog a couple of years ago and that was it. WHY MY KITTY?

Sorry - and again sorry for you too Dave.

A few years ago I was in a band that used one of those storage rental units for a rehearsal space.

Needless to say, we showed up for practice one Saturday morning and somebody had simply backed their car or truck into the door, pushing it off the rails and jacked the door up just enough to squeeze out all of our guitars, amps, mics, p.a. head and my four track recorder. They left the Moog behind. So in my mind, even though we were raped it STILL could have been worse.

We learned the importance of recording serial numbers and having pictures of the gear the hard way. With the digital imaging technology we now have, it's silly not to have pics of all of your gear/serial numbers stored to disc somewhere.

Good luck..

chip

chip

I am reminded of an old joke. A accordion player is coming home from a job and stops along the road to buy a cup of coffee. While he's in the restaurant he remembers that he didn't lock his car and his accordion is in plain view in the back seat.

He runs out of the restaurant only to discover that someone threw yet another accordion in the back seat.

It always pays to lock your car especially if you play the accordion.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

That really sucks.

A local player used to keep his Hammond in the truck. He claimed no-one would steal a Hammond from out of his truck because of the weight.

Trouble is, they stole the truck.

So he had to go out and buy a new Hammond.

Later they recovered the truck - with the Hammond still in it. So now he has two Hammonds!

Archived