Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steadyb's Hollywood Logic Pro 7 Demo

Geoff Grace

I was one of about fifty fortunate people who witnessed a great demo of Logic Pro 7 by forum member steadyb tonight in Hollywood at Sam Ash (formerly Manny's Music).

For starters, I was even more impressed by the Logic Pro bundle's new Sculpture soft synth than I had been back in January at its preview during the Winter NAMM show. Its ability to morph between physical models is awesome! steadyb demonstrated a hip way to automate timbral and parametric transitions that left audience members audibly wowing. This plug-in instrument alone is worth the upgrade price in my book.

But wait, there's more! ;)Ultrabeat , EFM1, Guitar Amp Pro, Ringshifter, Match EQ, Multimeter, and more additions were all aptly demoed by our friend steadyb. Match EQ probably got the most enthusiastic response of these, but I'm sure that other groups might be most impressed with Ultrabeat, Guitar Amp Pro, EFM1, or any of the others. They're all worthy of attention.

Other features demoed included improved compatibility (with other DAWs, Final Cut Pro, Garage Band, and iTunes), Distributed Audio, Apple Loops, notation, tempo automation, and more. steadyb went from one feature to the next without missing a beat. He even managed to improvise by incorporating me into his demo several times. :D

I could go on and on, but then there would be no need for other forum members to see steadyb's demo. He's hitting the road at some point. Catch him while you can. :thu: (...before he loses his voice again! :P )

Thanks, steadyb, for your hospitality at tonight's demo. I'm looking forward to many hours of fun exploring Logic Pro 7's countless features!

Best,

Geoff

P.S. Oh, last but not least, in a nod to our esteemed moderator, Dave Bryce, I saw someone sitting in the front row wearing an ADAM t-shirt. At first I thought, "How cool for Dave - he's getting the word out." Then I thought, "I didn't know there was an ADAM t-shirt" before reaching the final "Hey, why don't I have an ADAM t-shirt?" conclusion. What about it, Dave? ;)

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

last but not least, in a nod to our esteemed moderator, Dave Bryce, I saw someone sitting in the front row wearing an ADAM t-shirt. At first I thought, "How cool for Dave - he's getting the word out." Then I thought, "I didn't know there was an ADAM t-shirt" before reaching the final "Hey, why don't I have an ADAM t-shirt?" conclusion. What about it, Dave? ;)

We gave ADAM t-shirts out at AES as part of our giveaway promotion to introduce the ANF10s to the US.

You want one? I do have a few XLs left over, but aren't you afraid of making your Dynaudios feel bad? ;):D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yeah, the t-shirts were one of the more cool swag being offered, closely follwed (IMHO) by the Yamaha bags. Thanks DB! Oh, and the ANF10s sound awesome! :D:thu:

Geoff, sounds like it was a fun demo. I must say that I think Apple's doing a great job displaying the power of the new LP7 release. At AES, they had some very helpful folks demoing the product on the floor (sounds like much the same thing Steadyb did in Hollywood). But, better yet, they had a series of free workshops that you could attend (I attended 2 of them, there were several others that I just didn't have time to catch) in which you got to play with Sculpture, Ultrabeat, EFM1, Guitar Amp Pro, the Pitch Correction plug-in, etc., etc., as well as experience first hand the cool new features like channel strip presets and saving. It was the hands-on stuff that won me over (I'm expecting delivery of a new G5 and LP7 sometime in mid-December).

I think I mentioned this before, but, for me, the big surprise was how much I liked Ultrabeat. I had sort of dismissed it as just another drum machine, but it's extremely cool and flexible. I may never use Battery again....

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

okay, finally I put one and one together. I attended the same demo as Geoff mentioned but at RSPE on Tuesday. So now I know who steadyB is....

I enjoyed the presentation immensely but this experience left a bitter aftertaste:

As a Logic user from version 1 (even dating back to the Atari ST days when the program was called Notator and current user of Logic 6), I am growing a little concerned with the whole Apple swallowing emagic thing. After the presentation, I went up to steadyB's associate (didn't catch his name) and told him that I used a Powercore and that lots of people in my shoes were a little disappointed with the lack of full plug in delay compensation in Logic 7. Just a simple question and I was just looking for some info that maybe this issue might be alleviated in the near future or just anything. Before I could even really ask a question, he said, "sorry can't comment. Apple won't speculate on any future technologies." Basically take it or leave it and he walked away. I was pretty pissed because I feel that Apple would much rather you buy additional G5s and node them together than really support solutions like Powercore. I just thought this attitude was just plain arrogant. Back before emagic became a part of Apple I don't think I would have heard such a response. Right then I felt like saying, "screw Logic, I'm going to Nuendo!"

Sorry, needed to vent.... but the presentation itself was great.

(Haven't forked out the $299 for the Logic 7 upgrade yet....)

Stefan

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

We gave ADAM t-shirts out at AES as part of our giveaway promotion to introduce the ANF10s to the US.

You want one? I do have a few XLs left over, but aren't you afraid of making your Dynaudios feel bad? ;):D

Dave, I think if my Dynaudios were capable of feeling bad then what I said in the thread below would have done them in: ;)

Dynaudio Acoustics BM15As and ADAM S3-As: A Comparison

So no, I don't think there's any harm in me wearing an ADAM t-shirt and I'll gladly accept one. Thanks Dave. :)

---

Mark, I'm interested in the hands-on experience too. I know for sure Ill be using Logic Pro, but the extent to which I'll use it will in part be determined by how well I interact with it. (As you may know, I've got copies of all the Mac DAWs because I like the flexibility that allows.)

I was kind of amused last night. At one point, steadyb asked the audience, "Who here is a Pro Tools user?" About 10 or 15 of us raised our hands. Then he asked, "Who here uses other Mac DAWs like DP or Cubase?" and I was the only one who raised my hand. At that point, steadyb turned to me, smiled and said, "Oh hi Geoff!" :D

---

Originally posted by twbrzkdm007:

As a Logic user from version 1 (even dating back to the Atari ST days when the program was called Notator and current user of Logic 6), I am growing a little concerned with the whole Apple swallowing emagic thing.

Stefan, I understand your concern. With any new situation, there's a new set of pros and cons. Apple is a higher profile company than Emagic was and they are more apt to be tight-lipped as a result. But it's a two-sided coin. For example by Apple's actions in the marketplace, one can safely deduce that they make most of their money from hardware sales. That's a bad thing if you're a PC user who will never see another version of Logic on your platform again, but it's a good thing if you couldn't previously afford the thousands of dollars worth of additional software that now comes free with Logic Pro.

I could go on with a list of pros and cons, but the ones that matter to you might be different than the ones that matter to me. For me, the bottom line is that the Emagic employees I liked and trusted are still associated with Logic and the Logic package continues to grow and improve with each release. Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

Best,

Geoff

I think if my Dynaudios were capable of feeling bad then what I said in the thread below would have done them in:

Whoa...your Dyns read the forums? That's way cool... :D

So no, I don't think there's any harm in me wearing an ADAM t-shirt and I'll gladly accept one.
Then I'll gladly send you one. :thu:

dB

Hey, I want a T-shirt too! :wave: I heard AES will be in Spain in May, true? A small chance I might be there that month, hope ADAM is too.

Anyway, full PDC kept me from making the switch, as well as not having the UI rewrite I was hoping. But it still looks like a great program and will keep a close eye on it.

Dave has a new powercore right? Let us know how that goes without the PDC.

Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Hey, I want a T-shirt too! :wave: I heard AES will be in Spain in May, true? A small chance I might be there that month, hope ADAM is too.

Yes...we (and I) will be there. :cool:

Dave has a new powercore right? Let us know how that goes without the PDC.
Sorry to be dense, but what's a PDC? :confused:

dB

Originally posted by radiospace:

Sorry to be dense, but what's a PDC? :confused:

Philadelphia Defeats the Cowboys?
No, that would be PBO, "pretty bloody obvious".

PDC is Plug-in delay compensation. (I think). :eek: Especially when you start using plugins from Powercore or UAD on the aux busses, timings of everything gets screwy without it. I'm still waiting on my DP 4.5 so I'll defer to people who has more experience with it.

Raul

I think if my Dynaudios were capable of feeling bad then what I said in the thread below would have done them in:

Whoa...your Dyns read the forums? That's way cool... :D
Hey, that's not the half of it. You don't know how difficult it is to get them not to post! ;)

So no, I don't think there's any harm in me wearing an ADAM t-shirt and I'll gladly accept one.

Then I'll gladly send you one. :thu:
Thanks so much Dave. :cool: Please let me know how much to send you to cover costs. I've sent you an e-mail.

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by twbrzkdm007:

I went up to steadyB's associate (didn't catch his name) and told him that I used a Powercore and that lots of people in my shoes were a little disappointed with the lack of full plug in delay compensation in Logic 7. Just a simple question and I was just looking for some info that maybe this issue might be alleviated in the near future or just anything. Before I could even really ask a question, he said, "sorry can't comment. Apple won't speculate on any future technologies." Basically take it or leave it and he walked away. I was pretty pissed because I feel that Apple would much rather you buy additional G5s and node them together than really support solutions like Powercore. I just thought this attitude was just plain arrogant. Back before emagic became a part of Apple I don't think I would have heard such a response.

The guy you spoke to has been with Emagic longer than anyone else who's still around... over 10 years. Since before version 1 of Logic. Although it's possible he came off as arrogant, I can assure you he isn't. He was being bombarded with questions from the clinic attendees that night as well as talking with the owner or RSPE about various matters.

There are two reasons he said as little as he did on the matter you asked about...

1. I'm sure he didn't want it to turn in to a "can of worms" reply, especially since we don't really have any specific answers as to how soon the PDC issue with Powercore an UAD cards will be addressed, but it is something that we are aware of (both the need to improve it, and the disappointment of said card users right now).

2. Apple does have an extremely strict policy regarding discussing or speculating ANYTHING that is unreleased, unannounced, or just plain off somewhere in the future. I mean STRICT, as in see:Apprentice..."You're Fired". So especially after a public clinic we will always choose to err on the side of caution when asked about certain things.

Again, I want to assure you he meant no offense.

I'm sorry that that "last impression" may have spoiled for you what I hope was an otherwise informative clinic.

Also, I hope that clears things up somewhat.

And thanks for coming to the clinic Tuesday night. :thu::cool::)

Hey steadyb, my Logic 7 upgrade finally arrived at Sam Ash today (a day late of course!), so I drove back to Hollywood tonight and Scotty hooked me up. (At least traffic wasn't as bad tonight as it was last night.)

Man, that thing's heavy for a software box! :freak: I guess that must be because it's actually a dozen or so products rolled into one. :)

I'm looking forward to checking it out with hands on.

Best,

Geoff

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

PDC is Plug-in delay compensation. (I think). :eek: Especially when you start using plugins from Powercore or UAD on the aux busses, timings of everything gets screwy without it.

There's a plug that came with the PowerCore called "Compensator". According the manual, it "can help you in a pinch if your application does not have Automatic Plug-in Delay Compensation".

It refers to the .pdf that came with the PowerCore for more info...haven't read that yet...

dB

There's a plug that came with the PowerCore called "Compensator". According the manual, it "can help you in a pinch if your application does not have Automatic Plug-in Delay Compensation".

Right - the UAD-1 has a similar plugin. Logic does have compensation on regular audio and instrument tracks, just not Auxes and Buses (yet).

The thing to remember with the compensation plugins included with the PoCo and UAD cards is that they have to be set for the # of plugins being compensated for. So, if you have a vocal bus that you've routed all your vox tracks to and are using a PultecPro and 1176 from the UAD-1 card on the Aux, then send all of the other tracks not using UAD-1 plugins to a separate Aux with the compensator plugin on it set to "2". This will delay the signals of the non-processed tracks.

I've been playing with DP4.5 the past couple of weeks (don't call me a traitor, b!! :eek: ) and I must say, full auto-compensation is a beautiful thing. Now if I could only like DP again....NAH! I'll keep busing in Logic. :D

Geoff, steadyB et al,

thanks for your comments. I am over the bitterness of that evening and yeah, I know things get hectic at such clinics! I guess it is a very difficult thing for Apple/emagic to take into consideration all users' requests when deciding what features to put into a major revision such as Logic7. Personally (and judging from numerous newsgroup so were lots of fellow Logic users) the whole PDC was quite a big thing and one of the first things I was looking for in the 100+ new features of Logic7. I was just hoping to hear something (rather non-binding) like "we're committed to supporting solutions like the Powercore so hang in there".

Good to see you in person, steadyB.

Geoff, hope to meet you maybe at a future clinic!

Stefan

If anyone is interested...

I'll be doing the last of my Logic Pro 7 clinics on Thursday, Nov 18th (tomorrow) at West LA Music in Universal City at 7:00pm

C'mon by and say hello if you're in the neighborhood.

Archived