Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Difference between FP-2 and FP-5?

masone81

Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a keyboard for live and studio performance but mostly to practice with at home (my regular practice routine could be a lot better lately.) I need a good feeling digital piano. I had an FP-3 and loved it but I played it to death and sold it. So I'm looking at an RD-700 or an FP-2 or FP-5. I'm thinking I'll like the lower price point and built in speakers of the latter, but I can't find a clear explanation of the difference between these two boards. I know there's a hundred bucks difference and a different color :) , but other than that, I'm clueless.

Thanks for your help,

Mason

Roses are red

Violets are blue

All my base

Are belong to you

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

action on fp5 is about the same as fp3. the fp2 has a light weight action and totally different feel (hence the total weight difference)

The fp2 has lower wattage speakers compared to the fp5. You can actually use the speakers in fp5 for small setting. the speakers in the fp2 are worthless IMO

M FP2 speakers are fine for practicing at home.

You need really good speakers for the FP2 to sound good. A typical keyboard amp won't cut it. I spent 2k on powered EV Sxa360 speakers. You also need to edit the internal EQ settings to get the piano to sound good (boost lower and hi Mids) because they made the default piano EQ setting way too bright and thin. I like the action, I can play it for hours, it is well cushioned for my aching hands. My hands get sore on my P250 in about twenty minutes.

The EP4 Suitcase Rhodes is OK, a little too mellow and again it needs some EQ too.

The FP5 action is the same ast the FP3, it's stiffer than the FP2. The Piano and Rhodes sounds are different but similar.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Originally posted by capnzoot:

you owe it to yourself, your ears and your pocket to check out the Casio PX 300

Now that makes my day! It's next to impossible to generate any interest around here in GEM, and now here you go talking up CASIO. Talk about thinking outside your box.

OK, so what's the polyphony on the PX300? What about the acoustic piano sounds? can they fool anybody?

Does it have a harp??

We used somebody's casio last year for a christmas cantata, just for the bells and whistles. They were quite pretty. But hey, that was christmas. I just have to close my eyes and I hear bells.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by gangsu:

Now that makes my day! It's next to impossible to generate any interest around here in GEM, and now here you go talking up CASIO. Talk about thinking outside your box.

OK, so what's the polyphony on the PX300? What about the acoustic piano sounds? can they fool anybody?

Does it have a harp??

We used somebody's casio last year for a christmas cantata, just for the bells and whistles. They were quite pretty. But hey, that was christmas. I just have to close my eyes and I hear bells.

I ran into one of these Casio's in a used keyboard store here in Toronto (not sure if it was the PX300, it might have been a PX100), and thought it was some kind of old discontinued model. Then I found out this was a current model.

So, I called the Casio number here in Toronto and asked them what retailers are selling the PX300 in Toronto, so that I could go and take a look at it. They told me that first of all, the Casio digital pianos are not sold in music stores in Canada, they're sold through Costco, and some other department stores which I can't remember. Second, the guy I spoke to said the PX300 is not being sold in Canada.

I guess you could always import one, I wouldn't take the chance myself.

Sue:

I think the Promega thread has generated interest in GEM. Didn't HermanJoe (Tom) buy a Promega 3 after reading that thread? I would have never even thought to listen to GEM demos until I read your thread, listened to you rave about it, and end up talking to Dave about it. Even though I started out on the wrong foot with him, he let it slide, and offered to help me with parts for my Ensoniq. I came away with a high opinion of the Promega, Dave's level of service, and that you weren't puffing smoke about the Promega. (Still unsure about my opinion of you :D ).

I wouldn't worry about anything Casio puts out. It's targeted for consumers, and priced as such. Anyone that wants a Steinway piano in a portable digital isn't going to buy a Casio. :rolleyes:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey MikeT :wave:

What do you mean your'e not sure about me? What do you need to know?! I've posted upwards of 600 times on a forum that I have no business being on. That should tell you enough.

Hermanjoe is the one who started the promega thread. Actually, he's the reason I'm here. Blame him! A search on GEM lead me straight to his thread.

The Casio keyboard looks decent, doesn't it? Of course, as Floyd pointed out, anything out of the ordinary is bound to be next to impossible to audition up here. Too bad. Not that I'm looking for another keyboard..

It's too bad, really, that lots more people aren't using the promega, because I'm always worried about giving the impression that it's an old lady's steinway. In fact, just yesterday I was playing with a patch created by our own capnzoot which has nothing to do with steinways and it was FUN. I need to experiment more.

Thank god there's hermanjoe and the rest who offer a different perspective. We're not all diddling with mozart. ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by capnzoot:

I think it is a good thing that quality not be stuck to price or brand and that the consumer can actually get something cool, and useable for a change.

I agree with you. I was willing to audition the Casio with an open mind, Costco or not. The one I saw at a used instrument store was not bad. I'm not sure what model it was, though.

If Mattell were to market a digital piano with the model name Milli Vanilli, that might put me off a little. But hey, there's always paint.

Archived