Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your reach on keyboards

Prague

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get an 11th with a note in the middle. Like Db - Bb - Gb in the left hand. My hands are not that big but I've been playing "stretching" exercises since I was seven, so I have a good reach.

Mason

Roses are red

Violets are blue

All my base

Are belong to you

Originally posted by Ohtar:

woo that is a big stretch. I can get a octave and a 10th, though not very easily.

Just a tenth in my case.

What I find more important is the ability to walk them and to hit them cleanly while striding. Both these things took me a lot of work and are a regular part of my practice.

Also once I had got to the point of being able to reliably span a tenth I found that the ability to play octaves with 1 and 4 and 1 and 3 came along with it and that is real useful for playing funk bass lines. Its real useful in the right hand too - makes certain Joplin passages much easier, for example.

With my left hand, I can reach most major and minor tenths, usually with another note in the middle. For the most difficult situations, I can usually arpeggiate the whole mess very rapidly, so that it's almost imperceptible.

With my right hand, I have a slightly smaller span, about one semitone smaller than with the right.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning Rachmaninoff. I also heard he could play an octave with pinky and thumb and reach is second finger OVER his thumb and play the 11th! Don't try this at home!

Mason

Roses are red

Violets are blue

All my base

Are belong to you

Anyone who can do an octave and a 10th should be in the Guiness records!

I have rather normal sized hands and not particularly long fingers -- my hands are proportional to my size 9 1/2 shoes and no way I could ever palm a basketball. (No white guys / shoe size jokes, please, let's keep it above the belt!) I can play walking major 10ths, which I do for example on the head for Stolen Moments. Not easily, but I can do it.

I'm self-taught, so I haven't been doing any rigorous exercises, but I've certainly worked on my reach by playing songs that use it.

Thelonius Monk looked like he could play a pretty long reach, if I saw what I thought I did watching the documentary "Straight, No Chaser" (highly recommended for jazz piano enthusiasts, btw.)

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Oscar Peterson could play walking tenths.

He still can, what with him still being with us (and still playing). :)

I was privileged enough to meet the man back in '90. He shook my hand, and I swear that it was like shaking hands with someone wearing a baseball glove. Absolutely MASSIVE hands.

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Oscar Peterson could play walking tenths.

He still can, what with him still being with us (and still playing). :)

I was privileged enough to meet the man back in '90. He shook my hand, and I swear that it was like shaking hands with someone wearing a baseball glove. Absolutely MASSIVE hands.

SG

I used past tense because I understand that he had a stroke and performs basically just using his right hand. I do not know that information directly but only from reading about his performances from this forum.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I used past tense because I understand that he had a stroke and performs basically just using his right hand. I do not know that information directly but only from reading about his performances from this forum.

Ahhhh, my apologies for the misunderstanding of your comment, Dave. I'm not aware of any diminishing of Mr. Peterson's musical abilities. :(

What I would give to be 1/100th of the player that he is... wow. An immeasurable talent. Can't say enough good things about him, for my money. :D

Cheers,

SG

I just did a quick search on Oscar Peterson and what I have just learned is he had a stroke back in 1993 which weakened the left side of his body but he has essentially fully recovered.

At any rate, Oscar Peterson has influenced my musical life greatly. When I first heard him I was unaware that anyone could play so well. He is a living legend and I had the good fortune to spend some time with a student of his many years ago who also made a lasting impression. It was after that meeting that I started working on everything in every key.

Regarding my 'reach'- I can play any minor 10th without effort and can play major 10ths without effort only between same colored notes - white to white or black to black major 10ths are no problem, the others just get rolled.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived