Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best keyboard for one-man-band?

force

I'm planning on getting into the one-man-band thing and am wondering what is the best keyboard to get. I currently do solo acoustic guitar and piano gigs, so I'm a little out of touch with the whole synth scene... Hoping to keep the price under $2,000. I need something that would be good for playing dances (ballroom, swing, and latin) as well as bars. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may also want to consider the Yamaha PSR 1500. You'll save around $500 over the PSR 3000 and you get almost as much feature wise.

You only get 96 notes of Polyphony compared to the PSR 3000's 128 notes of polyphony but 96 is still considered an ample amount in todays standards. WAV ROM on the PSR 1500 is 16 MB compared to the PSR 3000's 64 MB and there are no Mega Voices on the PSR 1500. FYI: Mega Voice technology increases the realism of the instrument. There are 10 Mega Voices provided in the PSR 3000.

If you can afford it, I would definitely splurge and get the PSR 3000.

Be advised though that both the PSR 1500 and PSR 3000 have the OS on a chip so they are not Flash ROM upgradeable over the internet, etc. Also there is no Aftertouch on either model. If you don't mind spending more you may want to check out the Yamaha Tyros. But at a $2,995 MAP price, i.e. [Minimum Advertised Price], it may be out of your spending range. But the Tyros does have a Flash upgradeable OS plus it has Aftertouch plus a slew of other features the other two don't have; one being a decent Key action IMO. The Tyros was also awarded by MIPA [Musikmesse International Press Award] for best Organ/Portable Keyboard for 2003 btw.

But if you don't mind a little sponginess in your Keys [mushiness is a better word] then the PSR 3000 or 1500 should suit you fine. Especially since the prices are reasonable, and on the PSR 1500 especially. :thu:

Here is some more info on the PSR 1500:

Yamaha PSR 1500

Mike

I perform nightly as a OMB on a Yamaha 9000 Pro, a keyboard that Yamaha discontinued at the beginning of this year. New they were around $3000 but I bought a used/nearly new 9000 Pro recently for $1800. Way better than PSR3000/1500 or Tyros IMHO - 76 note keyboard with good feel, 128 polyphony that is expandable via PLG-series boards (accepts Yamaha's new PLG150-AP triple strike acoustic piano card), sampler, optional internal hard drive, lo-z mic input with vocal harmonizer and effects, Littlite sockets... pretty much everything you need for a OMB gig. Though no longer made the 9000 Pro's features even rivals other current expensive high-end arrangers like Korg's PA1X-Pro and Roland's new G70. They show up on eBay often.

Thanks for all the info! I'll check out the Yamahas; sounds like that might be the way to go. I've been looking at the PSR's on line a bit, nice to know that might be just what I need.

I have to say, this is a great board - glad I found it. Hope I can be of some help to someone else in the future....

Archived